Lee Gregory, signed on loan for the rest of the season.

Bubbles

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Oldben said:

Is Gregory honestly an improvement to the teams current strikers?

I wouldn't want to see him signed on a perm.

Hes never getting 10 plus goals a season at the championship level

What strikers? We have CZR and that's it. 

Waghorn can't play up front on his own. 

5 minutes ago, Oldben said:

Well he has got 10 goals at Championship level before so...

We wouldn’t be signing him to score that in less than half a season anyway. 6’2, will run & press. More of a direct cover for CKR who can’t play 90 minutes every game. Help us ensure we stay up. That’s it.

I don’t really care where we finish this season as long as it’s at least 21st. The individual position isn’t going to make any difference to our plans or hopes, whatever they may be for next season.

If Gregory can chip in with only 2 or 3 goals, but earn us some vital points then it’s worthwhile. It’s only a 6-month loan, we’re not talking about relying on him for the next few years.

I think we could do a lot worse in our current position, and it’s because of our current position as to why I’d be more in favour of this than any point before.

Just now, Tyler Durden said:

OK rephrasing that then why would anyone disbelieve Wayne?

Same reason you disbelieve anyone. You think Marriott suddenly became a super-trainer and I don't but neither of us can find proof that Rooney thinks that about him in particular. While I can find proof that he has demanded his whole squad work and train hard. ?

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Same reason you disbelieve anyone. You think Marriott suddenly became a super-trainer and I don't but neither of us can find proof that Rooney thinks that about him in particular. While I can find proof that he has demanded his whole squad work and train hard. ?

That's not true. Rooney said he was being shipped out as he didn't fit into our style of play. If you don't believe that then by default you are inferring Rooney is being economical with the truth or actually what he said was correct.

So which is it? 

Just now, Tyler Durden said:

That's not true. Rooney said he was being shipped out as he didn't fit into our style of play. If you don't believe that then by default you are inferring Rooney is being economical with the truth or actually what he said was correct.

So which is it? 

Oh give it a rest. Things can have more than one meaning.

26 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Sounds a bit like you’re putting 2 + 2 together to get whatever answer you want there, Roy.

Not really sure when and why so many on this forum turned on Jack Marriott, especially after all his injury issues. 

I think you’re being deliberately obtuse. He’s gone because Rooney doesn’t rate him and it doesn’t matter what we think. Fwiw I really like Marriott and think that there is a good poacher in there. But there is also something very wrong for three top pros like lampard cocu and Rooney to not fancy him. 

14 minutes ago, Oldben said:

This deadline day isn’t about us pushing for promotion this is about survival because no matter if you’re a good side or not if we are still in a relegation battle with 10 games to go we can still go down, cruel league this is about getting players known for the championship players like Gregory that’ll fight 

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Oh give it a rest. Things can have more than one meaning.

They can do in your own mind if it fits your own agenda or narrative absolutely, we do agree on that much. 

Plain fact is you can't post rebuffs to Rooney's integrity when it is  questioned but then on the other hand infer the same thing yourself, it just appears hypocritical. Or in fact Rooney meant exactly what he said when Marriott went out on loan. 

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I don't have an agenda. This is a football forum. I'm just chatting about football. Dear me.

When I mentioned your own agenda it was a general point. Non person specific.

Original points still stand. 

But yer you're not going to admit that either Rooney was being economical with the truth or in fact he was telling the truth absolutely so can't see much point in progressing this.

Have we signed anyone yet. 

8 minutes ago, RIMBAUD said:

I think you’re being deliberately obtuse. He’s gone because Rooney doesn’t rate him and it doesn’t matter what we think. Fwiw I really like Marriott and think that there is a good poacher in there. But there is also something very wrong for three top pros like lampard cocu and Rooney to not fancy him. 

Now here I agree with you. There has to be something not quite right.

However, having heard the description of the ongoing injury problems he's been having since just before he joined us from Peterborough, I'd be inclined to believe it's something to do with that, as opposed to him "not working hard in training" or "not being the character" etc etc. 

There's nothing obtuse about the point I'm making though, that I can assure you. I simply don't think that Lee Gregory is a better option than him based on how they play when fit. Why would Stoke be loaning him to us if he was that great?

Marriott is our player. Seems to me we would have more to benefit from giving him gametime than some loan player from Stoke.

2 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Now here I agree with you. There has to be something not quite right.

However, having heard the description of the ongoing injury problems he's been having since just before he joined us from Peterborough, I'd be inclined to believe it's something to do with that, as opposed to him "not working hard in training" or "not being the character" etc etc. 

There's nothing obtuse about the point I'm making though, that I can assure you. I simply don't think that Lee Gregory is a better option than him based on how they play when fit. Why would Stoke be loaning him to us if he was that great?

Marriott is our player. Seems to me we would have more to benefit from giving him gametime than some loan player from Stoke.

I agree.  But no secret I think Marriott should still be here.

Archived