Lee Gregory, signed on loan for the rest of the season.

Bubbles

Just reading through this thread.

Was hoping that like me we would have all learnt a lesson in writing players off before they signed.

Evidently not. 

CZR has made me eat humble pie and now I'll never write a player off until I've seen them play in a Derby shirt.

Not really sure who people are expecting us to sign here. 

We are in a relegation battle with absolutely no money whatsoever.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

No better than waghorn surely

Depends really doesn't it.

In this system as a lone striker. Lee Gregory is comfortably better than Waghorn.

Waghorn isn't now and never will be a loan striker. 

Did you say the same when CZR signed? 

You only have to watch games to realise how much more CZR offers us in that role compared to Waghorn.

That's what it's all about.

2 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

My only concern not just about this signing but all of them, will we be able to get them back next season? There's so many players out of contract in the summer. We need continuity in the team

On the other hand if we have a good season from now on then we'll be in a better position over summer (and maybe financially) to be looking at different players.

I’m definitely in the not writing anybody off camp after CKZ.

I think the dismissal of clough type signings is an interesting one. I get there was the Ben Pringles who weren’t world beaters but Clough’s signings were the foundation of the club for 2/3’s of a decade where we played some pretty decent stuff. Granted if your coming from the perspective that we are entitled to be a Premier league club than a desire to have ‘bigger’ name signings makes sense if that’s how you view things. I’m happy with a bit of progressive change where we steadily improve over the next couple of seasons on the playing and personnel front. 

Just now, Topram said:

3 loans Rooney said a mix of loans and permanent so maybe 1 more in?

Bloody hope so, mengi has potential but hasn't played 1st team football, edmundson has played 8 games in 2 seasons at rangers , and Lee Gregory has scored 37 goals in 180 games in the championship ? regardless of finances we have Wayne Rooney as manager and their are so many good free agents that I'd like to think rooney could tempt currently 

2 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

My only concern not just about this signing but all of them, will we be able to get them back next season? There's so many players out of contract in the summer. We need continuity in the team

Unfortunately our current circumstances don't really allow us to plan for the long-term, not until we have new owners. These are short-term solutions to keep us in the league which is our priority, and then, if there's a takeover between now and whenever this season is supposed to finish, we'll have to rebuild in the summer... again!

18 minutes ago, HariboWest said:

It’s like our recruitment team just have a list, and then never touch it again. Just keep going back to the same names. 

Not against it tho, contract running down, lives local you’d assume, needs a new deal and works hard. 

Is living locally a major attraction when it comes to signing a player? Doesn't matter if he's poo as long as he's got a short drive to the training ground.

I do concur about our seemingly hackneyed approach to players incoming.

27 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I'll keep an open mind, but to say this is a signing I wouldn't be entertaining is an understatement. I guess it's more to do with getting bodies in the door that can fit the system we're currently playing, but this is far from inspiring. 

I'm glad it's just a loan. 

I think this should be the only metric ever applied to anyone you sign. Ever. We absolutely lost our way signing impressive players, without a single thought about where they should go in the team. Most of the Cocu-era signings made sense, but you'd probably have to back to the Clough era as the last time we genuinely signed players we needed, rather than signings players just because we could.

Can’t say I would have him on the bench over Jack Marriott, but hey, what do I know ?‍♂️

Feels like this signing has been incoming for about three years, so not massively surprised to see our recruitment team pull this one out their bag. 

Archived