Lee Gregory, signed on loan for the rest of the season.

Bubbles

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Just reading through this thread.

Was hoping that like me we would have all learnt a lesson in writing players off before they signed.

Evidently not. 

CZR has made me eat humble pie and now I'll never write a player off until I've seen them play in a Derby shirt.

Not really sure who people are expecting us to sign here. 

We are in a relegation battle with absolutely no money whatsoever.

Just the one slice or the whole of the humble pie?

8 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I wonder what that type of character is exactly. I assume you’re suggesting that Marriott and Holmes don’t train hard enough or something, though this is just speculation. 

I wasn’t expecting us to sign anyone particularly exciting, especially in our current situation. I just don’t necessarily see how Gregory fits the system any better than anyone that’s already at the club, that’s all ?‍♂️

Except it isn't.

Rooney on Holmes: 

“I like Duane as a person, he is a good bubbly character, and he didn't fit into my plans. I want the players working every day on the training pitch, that is important. If you don't do that, and I spoke to every player and explained if you don't put the work in I don't want you at this football club."

(from DET)

Lampard on why he wasn't picking Marriott: 

"He’s strong in terms of stockiness, but he needs to work without the ball, to have a hunger and desire constantly, and every day in training."

(from DET)

5 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Exactly this. When their attempts to bring Billy Sharp in failed again, I'm just grateful we chose Gregory instead of Victor Anichebe from their list of three goto strikers.

Seems a pragmatic and sensible move given the league position, thinness of squad and total absence of money. And uncertainty over what position the club will be in at the end of the season.

We've been running CKR into the ground game after game because Rooney must feel we'll lose control if he goes off. This should allow for an earlier substitution which has got to be a benefit to Colin too. Hope Lee does well.

Monumental performance by Colin against Brizzie. Lee will probably be expected to play his own game if on with Colin and become Colin 2 when on his own. Makes sense to me. Has Wayne changed Colin into the player he is or was Colin always like this. Against Brizzie it was a perfect performance but I am struggling to find the player most similar to Colin that Rams have ever had.

8 minutes ago, RIMBAUD said:

It’s not speculation though is it.? Rooney told us. That’s why they are gone.

What other strikers were you thinking of at the club?

Where is the Rooney quote saying Marriott has gone on loan because he doesn’t train hard? More than happy to be proved wrong on that if you’ve got a link to it.

Asking me to come up with better ideas up front is pointless. I don’t work for the Derby County recruitment team. 

6 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

Except it isn't.

Rooney on Holmes: 

“I like Duane as a person, he is a good bubbly character, and he didn't fit into my plans. I want the players working every day on the training pitch, that is important. If you don't do that, and I spoke to every player and explained if you don't put the work in I don't want you at this football club."

(from DET)

Lampard on why he wasn't picking Marriott: 

"He’s strong in terms of stockiness, but he needs to work without the ball, to have a hunger and desire constantly, and every day in training."

(from DET)

Can you find one for me from Rooney about Marriott not working hard in training or being the right sort of character? After all, he is the manager that has deemed him to be a worse option than Lee Gregory...

1 minute ago, Nuwtfly said:

Where is the Rooney quote saying Marriott has gone on loan because he doesn’t train hard? More than happy to be proved wrong on that if you’ve got a link to it.

He didn't have to say that one outright. But he did say he didn't fit the style he wanted us to play. Read between the lines.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

He didn't have to say that one outright. But he did say he didn't fit the style he wanted us to play. Read between the lines.

Sounds a bit like you’re putting 2 + 2 together to get whatever answer you want there, Roy.

Not really sure when and why so many on this forum turned on Jack Marriott, especially after all his injury issues. 

15 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Well, I had written of CKR before he kicked a ball so I have learned my lesson.

You presumably hadn't really seen him play for a number of years and wouldn't have known he'd transformed himself into such a  good hold up striker though, or known hit fitness levels. Lots of unknowns.

There's nota great deal we don't know about Gregory, and we've had many chances to see how he performs at Championship level.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

When does not fitting the style of play become an euphism for not training hard. 

A lot of posters on here have said that Rooney is very honest in his interviews (including yourself I believe) so to then say he's relying on weasel words just flies in the face of original comments. 

42 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Is living locally a major attraction when it comes to signing a player? Doesn't matter if he's poo as long as he's got a short drive to the training ground.

I do concur about our seemingly hackneyed approach to players incoming.

It probably matters more-so to the player that he doesn’t have to uproot his life in an afternoon ?

1 minute ago, Tyler Durden said:

When does not fitting the style of play become an euphism for not training hard. 

A lot of posters on here have said that Rooney is very honest in his interviews (including yourself I believe) so to then say he's relying on weasel words just flies in the face of original comments. 

Oh get real. There's a difference between honest in your interview, and saying un-neccessary words - some poster was upset that he spilt the beans on Holmes and should have kept it in the squad! You can please some of the fans, some of the time, etc... ?

Just now, HariboWest said:

It probably matters more-so to the player that he doesn’t have to uproot his life in an afternoon ?

Thought the majority of footballers were upwardly mobile now....but ok ignore me was just picking as not very enamoured by the prospect but there's greater minds than mine who get paid the wonga to make judgements so in them we trust. 

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Oh get real. There's a difference between honest in your interview, and saying un-neccessary words - some poster was upset that he spilt the beans on Holmes and should have kept it in the squad! You can please some of the fans, some of the time, etc... ?

Yes agreed that you can be honest without being brutally honest but is it that obvious a connection from reading between the lines as you put it. 

Very much open to personal interpretation. 

Archived