Lee Gregory, signed on loan for the rest of the season.

Bubbles

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Can’t say I would have him on the bench over Jack Marriott, but hey, what do I know ?‍♂️

Feels like this signing has been incoming for about three years, so not massively surprised to see our recruitment team pull this one out their bag. 

I think the difference is that Rooney wants a certain type of character as much as a type of player. That’s why Marriott isn’t here any more (and Holmes) but someone like shinnie is.

Got to consider as well that due to brexit any chance that we pull out a random signing of a prolific Italian has gone down the drain. We need bodies in and he’ll do a job until the summer where hopefully Wayne will have more than 5p to rub together. 

Just now, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Gregory will certainly give work rate but not very proficient. A bit of a lightweight Jonathan Walters.

The kind of bloke you get in when Shane Longs wages are a bit too much. 

Did you mean profilic or proficient? As most of the comments on the Stoke website are he's good at running the channels outside the box but can't finish for toffee inside the box. 

All our signings are now govern and geared by 2 main things lack of 'finance' and 'survival in the championship'.

These 2 factors dictate not only the type and caliber of player we are able to attract but more importantly we can afford.

Living within these 2 major constraints means it is very very difficult for Rooney to find the ideal player he would LIKE to sign.

So he maybe has to settle for his 2nd, 3rd or even 4th choice in some case. 

All these factors allied to the fact that the January transfer window is the hardest to do business in anyway makes Rooney task enormously difficult.

Just being able attract a half decent experience professional to the club (with our troubles) is an effort at the moment.

Let's not pre-judge any of his signing until they have had a chance to show what they can do in Rams shirt. (remember CKR)

After the success of CKR - as I said on the Mendez Laing chat - my mind is open to anyone coming in and doing a job.

Im not sure what people are expecting - we have like zero cash flow as a club at the moment with Mel looking to put in as little as possible till the club is sold. Before Friday there had only been 4 perm signings in jan in the premier league. It shows how tough signings are. 

A good signing. A centre forward who can rotate with King Colin. That will do for now. 

We are making the most out of a pretty rubbish situation financially. These signings are going to be key for our safety this season. Hopefully at some point soon we know whats happening with this take over and Rooney and the recruitment team will know what targets they are aiming for, for next season. 

Think this makes sense if true.  Most of us want that "wow" signing but look where we are. Relegation fight, the world's longest. cr4ppiest takeover, no money - there's no way we can attract, or afford marquee signings.  Plus Brexit restrictions curtail overseas imports. Gregory is a grafter, always gives 100%.  Most of us were like, CKR, who? No thanks and now look. Neither Gregory or CKR are prolific but if between them they score enough goals (or create them) to keep us in this league for a proper re-start, I'm sold.  This is about hard-fought, dirty survival, not winning the league this season (or probably next). Niasse as well though would sweeten things ?

5 minutes ago, RIMBAUD said:

I think the difference is that Rooney wants a certain type of character as much as a type of player. That’s why Marriott isn’t here any more (and Holmes) but someone like shinnie is.

I wonder what that type of character is exactly. I assume you’re suggesting that Marriott and Holmes don’t train hard enough or something, though this is just speculation. 

I wasn’t expecting us to sign anyone particularly exciting, especially in our current situation. I just don’t necessarily see how Gregory fits the system any better than anyone that’s already at the club, that’s all ?‍♂️

39 minutes ago, RIMBAUD said:

I know. What kind of idiot would get a striker on a free who would become one of our top ten of all time. Crazy ?

I can confirm I would be available on a free transfer, can play up front, though it's perhaps slightly optimistic to suggest I'd become one of the club's all time best.

But, if you're reading this Wayne and are interested, send me a DM. 

12 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

The loonies on the Oatcake Forum reckon he's rubbish, useless and a waste of space.

If that's their opinion then Gregory will do for me (on loan only).

You’ve only got to look back at the vitriol the signing of Kazim- Richards attracted! Some of our fans seem to think we’ve got loads of money and there are lots of available talents out there who are desperate to come to Derby.I think a bit of a reality check is required.It’s all about getting in players who can ensure we stay in this division and we can worry about next season in the summertime.Rooney has surprised me with his astuteness and appears to be living up to assessments given by his previous managers.I think we’re in safe hands and that long-term plans are in place already but on hold at present because of off-field issues.
The quality of signings is always going to be a subjective issue but as “ old big head” used to say, if you don’t like a player don’t shout at him but moan at me! 

13 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Can’t say I would have him on the bench over Jack Marriott, but hey, what do I know ?‍♂️

Feels like this signing has been incoming for about three years, so not massively surprised to see our recruitment team pull this one out their bag. 

Exactly this. When their attempts to bring Billy Sharp in failed again, I'm just grateful we chose Gregory instead of Victor Anichebe from their list of three goto strikers.

Seems a pragmatic and sensible move given the league position, thinness of squad and total absence of money. And uncertainty over what position the club will be in at the end of the season.

We've been running CKR into the ground game after game because Rooney must feel we'll lose control if he goes off. This should allow for an earlier substitution which has got to be a benefit to Colin too. Hope Lee does well.

Priorities 

Avoid relegation 

Move players out who do not work hard enough in Wayne's opinion 

Stop goals being conceded 

Improve goal tally 

Develop a style of play long-term and bring more skilful players of similar types into that system.

Hope for serious cash input and takeover.

7 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I wonder what that type of character is exactly. I assume you’re suggesting that Marriott and Holmes don’t train hard enough or something, though this is just speculation. 

I wasn’t expecting us to sign anyone particularly exciting, especially in our current situation. I just don’t necessarily see how Gregory fits the system any better than anyone that’s already at the club, that’s all ?‍♂️

It’s not speculation though is it.? Rooney told us. That’s why they are gone.

What other strikers were you thinking of at the club?

Archived