Derby County on this day

derby8

On 22/03/2022 at 20:17, Rammy03 said:

I took my best mate to that game, he weren't a "proper" football fan as such but we stayed out in town that night and had a fantastic time. He got drunk and ended up being lifted onto complete strangers shoulders in the Wardwick singing "Oh what can it mean" . People were hugging and dancing in the street on Sadlergate.....great memories.

Sadly, my mate passed away far too early at the age of 63 a couple of years ago but that thrashing of Forest is my go to memory of a wonderful bloke.

• 4 weeks later...

26th April 1975

An intrepid 12 year old boy ventures to the Baseball Ground for the very first time. 
He witnesses a drab 0-0 draw with Carlisle, from the Normo end of the majestic Ley Stand. 
Despite the score line, the white-topped home players return after the final whistle to parade a glistening trophy, in glorious sunshine. 
The bar was set. The expectations were drawn up. 

The next 45 years proved those expectations were not unreasonable. Trophy, after trophy, after trophy… it’s like that 12 year old boy has since been living the dream!  ??

On this day in 1972,  Monday the 8th of May, Derby County became League Champions for the first time when Wolves beat Leeds United 2-0 at Molineux and Arsenal held Liverpool 0-0 at Highbury, leaving the Rams a point clear at the top of the final table.

If it interests you then you can read all about that night on Page 25 of the 1971-72 Season Scrapbook on this forum:

Edited by Brailsford Ram
Additional paragraph