Is Rooney The man To Take Us Forward?

Comrade 86

Is Rooney the right man for the manager's position?  

336 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

But overall a pretty poor answer to a key question that anyone would have anticipated 

There is no right answer he could have given that would have satisfied all fans - because no-one knows the answer! As for being media savvy, there's plenty of good managers out there that don't come across as a 'poster boy'. So that's it he doesn't shine in the media like Lampard?

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, IslandExile said:

Dunno if you are referring to me.

Anyhow, I still think under different circumstances Cocu would have succeeded. But we've had that discussion a hundred times already.

COYR ?

No not at all I just find sometimes the double standards quite laughable.

If you can make an informed judgement on someone's performance after 6 games but not about another person's after ten times that long than that smacks of personal bias.

Anyhows Rooney is doing well I grant you that but to make cosmic judgements on the basis of 6 games is just as absurd as to refuse to make judgements on another manager on the basis of a season and a quarter.

17 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Eg Excellent media skills from day 1  Not to be underestimated in a manager.   No silly blurting about 48 hours 

Like any good manager, FL used (uses) his press conferences skilfully to talk to fans, players, oppo, press. Rooney does not have that subtlety certainly not yet

Admittedly WR in his post match yesterday showed at least he is listening to guidance. So when asked about the takeover he clearly acted on instructions when he referred to the club statement. But overall a pretty poor answer to a key question that anyone would have anticipated 

One of his plus points for me is that he  is not slick with the media and overly trained. He just wants to talk about the football and that seems more honest than those who say the right thing in that certain way we get across life sine Tony Blair's era! 

29 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Eg Excellent media skills from day 1  Not to be underestimated in a manager.   No silly blurting about 48 hours 

Like any good manager, FL used (uses) his press conferences skilfully to talk to fans, players, oppo, press. Rooney does not have that subtlety certainly not yet

Admittedly WR in his post match yesterday showed at least he is listening to guidance. So when asked about the takeover he clearly acted on instructions when he referred to the club statement. But overall a pretty poor answer to a key question that anyone would have anticipated 

Personally I don't particularly care about if a managers press conferences are on brand, and loquacious in interviews, as long as he appears to know what he's talking about, which Rooney does to a degree.

You could flip it and say that Lampard was a bluffer, and over talked.  I'd rather a manager had a decent plan on how to win a play off final, than fill copy for the press with intelligent, witty bants...

14 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

One of his plus points for me is that he  is not slick with the media and overly trained...and that seems more honest than those who say the right thing in that certain way we get across life since Tony Blair's era! 

I think you'll find it was started in earnest by Thatcher: "Indeed, Mrs Thatcher’s transformation was arguably the first of what would become the practice of tailoring a politician’s image to fit the media age, something later perfected by Tony Blair and David Cameron" The Telegraph.

23 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

And not consider circumstances?

Turnover of players?

Injuries to forwards?

Return to fitness of Bielik and Kazim-Richards who are now making such a difference?

Do you really think with the same team as last night Cocu would have got a similar performance?

Part of the reason our defence is better is we are more attacking .... Cocu was defensive and cautious always!

33 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

You dont win matches in the press room. I couldn't give a monkeys if we had the most hated manager, who couldn't string two sentences together in a press room, so many people talk a good game but it's what he does in the training ground and on match day that counts.

Also the takeover is something that he has no input in, better answer would have been how the duck should I know, ask me something relevant to my job ?

Rooney seems like a decent coach to me, seems to be able to identify what needs to be done to win games. He specifically shaped the team to nullify Swansea last night and to be fair he nailed it. I think him and Rosenoir seem to working well together, we have way better shape now especially when we lose the ball. When we lost the ball under Cocu we'd be all over the show.

12 minutes ago, DRBee said:

Do you really think with the same team as last night Cocu would have got a similar performance?

Part of the reason our defence is better is we are more attacking .... Cocu was defensive and cautious always!

Do you really think we could be as attacking without Bielik (who means we only need one DM so we can play an extra forward) and Kazim-Richards (who gives a focal point for the attack)?

41 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Not sure how you can criticise Rooney though for not toeing the party line especially if he's been coached or indeed directed by the club on what answer to give if inevitably questions are asked about the takeover.

this what has happened imo 

In a game of Chinese whispers weeks ago he blurts 48 hours   Not club approved imo 

100 pages of angstridden baalocks appear on Tinman’s thread

club tells him not to comment further and magically all local journalists stop asking him about it 

ultimately club forced courtesy of tinman’s thread/Athletic article to issue holding statement 

Everyone knows it’s likely sky will ask him so he is told simply to refer to the statement   He more or less follows those instructions but not with any great skill at all

3 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Do you really think we could be as attacking without Bielik (who means we only need one DM so we can play an extra forward) and Kazim-Richards (who gives a focal point for the attack)?

We wouldn't be conceding as many. Plus there is no way they were that fit under Cocu.

Hw showed he can be tactically very good aswell. He pointed out Swansea's winb backs as a problem and nullified them all game with his game plan. He's shown me and a lot of people he will be a good choice. Every game of the 6 games he's been tactically spot on and i would be happy for him to be given the job and especially with Maclaren helping him who seems to be hands on.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

We wouldn't be conceding as many. Plus there is no way they were that fit under Cocu.

As much as I think those two players (Bielik and Kazim-Richards) have made a massive difference - and they have - and, as much as I was in favour of Cocu's overall strategy, I do still acknowledge the improvements under Rooney.

One of them is fitness, I do think they seem sharper. Maybe the changes in fitness coaches have helped in that regard.

I do think the tactics are more pragmatic, especially for the championship.

And the team spirit seems far better, the willingness to chase was a joy to watch last night.

As I said earlier, I was in favour of Rooney getting the job even before the positive results started at Millwall. The results and performances since then have reinforced my view.

Give Rooney till the end of the season to see where we end. If we can replicate performances like last night especially first half then he can have it. As I said to my dad. That first half performance yesterday was one of the best I’ve seen from a Derby team in a long time 

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I think you'll find it was started in earnest by Thatcher: "Indeed, Mrs Thatcher’s transformation was arguably the first of what would become the practice of tailoring a politician’s image to fit the media age, something later perfected by Tony Blair and David Cameron" The Telegraph.

Too young for that ??

3 hours ago, BIllyD said:

You dont win matches in the press room. I couldn't give a monkeys if we had the most hated manager, who couldn't string two sentences together in a press room, so many people talk a good game but it's what he does in the training ground and on match day that counts.

Also the takeover is something that he has no input in, better answer would have been how the duck should I know, ask me something relevant to my job ?

@kevinhectoring reading that again, it comes across as obnoxious and just because that isn't important to me, doesn't mean it isn't to someone else.

Please accept my apologies for the way it is written, it didn't mean to come across that way...sorry 

4 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Lampard is/was a dodgy used car salesman just like good old uncle ‘arry, loved by the London-Centric media circus that they both court. 
I am glad Wayne is nothing like that, I think he is coming across in all his interviews and press BS as a smart and thoughtful young man making his way in management. 
lampard always comes across as a smarmy, cocky dickwad...which is probably why Dawes liked him so much. 

14 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

@kevinhectoring reading that again, it comes across as obnoxious and just because that isn't important to me, doesn't mean it isn't to someone else.

Please accept my apologies for the way it is written, it didn't mean to come across that way...sorry 

It certainly did not offend BillyD please don’t worry. And several others agree with your  view ? 

Archived