Is Rooney The man To Take Us Forward?

Comrade 86

Is Rooney the right man for the manager's position?  

336 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

List of managerial candidates for Derby job may have shrunk after tonight. Surely Wayne had the job until the takeover. Winning streak up till Xmas or at least unbeaten till then would be nice. On form over last six games we are tenth best in the league. If we go a goal down now we do look a lot more likely to get back into the game.

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ramsbottom said:

I hope he sticks with tonight’s team for Saturday. Balance was spot on, especially in midfield

With 21 changes he has made it clear that it is time play for your shirt and your club. Work rate was unrecognisable from a couple of months ago. No need to give Wayne the Manager's job permanently until the end of the season as he is already here.

8 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

ok he's doing pretty well but this is what ManU did with OGS. Which was a big mistake 

This is NOT a squad that should be in the relegation zone so we should not get too carried away by his results

I never look at results. I look at performances and the way we have gone about it is totally different to what was happening previously. We are now doing the basics to compete in a game. We know we have the quality and looking at it, yes this is a pretty easy start to make himself a hero given we are in a false position. The challenge will be can he then get us competing at the sharp end of the league and in time he will be judged on that - but we’re not there yet.

The OGS comparison is the wrong one. He had managed in the premier league and won leagues in Norway with an unfancied team so he is probably someone who is a championship level manager, he is not a Man United manager. They need a big hitter in the game. No one is saying Rooney should be United manager right now - that would be a similar comparison 

1 hour ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

No one is saying Rooney should be United manager right now - that would be a similar comparison 

We are not ManU but we are a top 20 club if you look at infrastructure and fan base. We now have an owner who - we hope - will give us more spending power than MM. 
So for us to appoint a manager who has no managerial experience AT ALL and not even a Boy Scouts badge is risky, despite his glittering career as a footballer.    Lampard was also high risk appt, one that paid off. But Lampard has quite a few talents WR does not have. 

My point is not a ManU/Rams comparison.  It is a more simple one: if you win a few games with a caretaker don’t get giddy and make a honeymoon appt. You need to see a manager through thick and thin to know his qualities. 

Ok many of us are changing our minds and now accept he just might be a decent hire. IN DUE COURSE ... 

Find it quite ironic that some of the posters on this thread who are furthering that Rooney is a great manager on the basis of a few games are the same ones who were intent on deliberately not forming a judgement about Cocu regards him being a poor manager after a season and a quarter with us as apparently this wasn't enough time to make an informed decision on him.

14 hours ago, Highgate said:

One caveat, if Rooney ever tries to play himself, that's an instant sacking.  We've looked so much better since he dropped himself and it doesn't look like a coincidence.

Rooney has even said himself that he might have played his last game. I think he'll be happy to hang up the boots, he wants to go into management

38 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Find it quite ironic that some of the posters on this thread who are furthering that Rooney is a great manager on the basis of a few games are the same ones who were intent on deliberately not forming a judgement about Cocu regards him being a poor manager after a season and a quarter with us as apparently this wasn't enough time to make an informed decision on him.

Has anyone actually used the word 'great'?

As a sceptic I am really impressed by the way last night's performance was achieved by Rooney trying various selections and actually learning from them. It's also clear from his interview that it is a management team and other people are contributing to the decisions. Much  impressed by his very articulate interview after the game.

Just now, DRBee said:

Has anyone actually used the word 'great'?

As a sceptic I am really impressed by the way last night's performance was achieved by trying Rooney having tried various selections and actually learning from them. It's also clear from his interview that it is a management team and other people are contributing to the decisions. Much  impressed by his very articulate interview after the game.

I'm just trying to compare and contrast - let's depersonalise things as it could be person A and person B.

If a season and a quarter isn't enough time to assess person's A performance but 6 games is for person B then that's just totally inconsistent and shows personal bias. What's sauce for the goose and all that. 

23 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Such as?

Eg Excellent media skills from day 1  Not to be underestimated in a manager.   No silly blurting about 48 hours 

Like any good manager, FL used (uses) his press conferences skilfully to talk to fans, players, oppo, press. Rooney does not have that subtlety certainly not yet

Admittedly WR in his post match yesterday showed at least he is listening to guidance. So when asked about the takeover he clearly acted on instructions when he referred to the club statement. But overall a pretty poor answer to a key question that anyone would have anticipated 

40 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Dunno if you are referring to me.

Anyhow, I still think under different circumstances Cocu would have succeeded. But we've had that discussion a hundred times already.

As for me supporting Rooney's coronation.... Initially, I was against it - because I didn't like the reports that he was set to take over before Cocu had even left, I thought his attitude playing since lockdown wasn't so good (though he was injured preseason) and I certainly don't like the media circus that goes with him.

However, when I looked at all the possible candidates and listened to the things Rooney was saying, when not prompted by red top journos, I started to come around to the idea of him being manager.

That was even before the game against Millwall, so I was in favour even before those that have - understandably- been swayed by results and performances.

But I am certainly not saying he's a "great" manager. What I am saying is that I'd much rather we have a young, fresh manager than one of the old school journeymen like Allardyce, Pullis, Pardew, Hughes or the overrated Howe.

He is a novice, he will make mistakes but, as with the players breaking through from the academy, we supporters should make allowances for that and appreciate the efforts and, hopefully, the upward trend.

COYR ?

2 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Eg Excellent media skills from day 1  Not to be underestimated in a manager.   No silly blurting about 48 hours 

Like any good manager, FL used (uses) his press conferences skilfully to talk to fans, players, oppo, press. Rooney does not have that subtlety certainly not yet

Admittedly WR in his post match yesterday showed at least he is listening to guidance. So when asked about the takeover he clearly acted on instructions when he referred to the club statement. But overall a pretty poor answer to a key question that anyone would have anticipated 

Lampard is definitely more charismatic than Rooney and probably more personable as well. 

Not sure how you can criticise Rooney though for not toeing the party line especially if he's been coached or indeed directed by the club on what answer to give if inevitably questions are asked about the takeover.

Really it should be Morris who should be providing some updates about the takeover rather than the deafening silence which would then reduce the amount of questions regards this being misdirected to the wrong people.

15 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I'm just trying to compare and contrast - let's depersonalise things as it could be person A and person B.

If a season and a quarter isn't enough time to assess person's A performance but 6 games is for person B then that's just totally inconsistent and shows personal bias. What's sauce for the goose and all that. 

And not consider circumstances?

Turnover of players?

Injuries to forwards?

Return to fitness of Bielik and Kazim-Richards who are now making such a difference?

Archived