Is Rooney The man To Take Us Forward?

Comrade 86

Is Rooney the right man for the manager's position?  

336 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We're still in a precarious position, I'd rather we had gone with an experienced manager, but Rooney & the other coaching staff have - in the short term - made the side more challenging to beat, kept three clean-sheets in a row, something Cocu couldn't even manage in successive games, shown pragmatism (Brentford) & a better understanding of this division than the last manager, Clarke seems to be rediscovering his confidence & the experienced players have been brought back in, taking some heat off the youngsters. There also seems to be more of a structure to midfield (Bielik,Shinnie or Bird & Knight)

We haven't quite had the new manager bounce we may have hoped for (two late equalizers denying us vital home wins against sides in/around us), but a lack of cutting edge/options has hampered the side. Let's hope we have a couple of deals in place (loans etc) to bring in more options. That could have a major bearing on the mood of the side if we know we carry a real threat.

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

I understand there's a top Dutch manager looking for a job.

There's a wide variety of reasons why it can be argued Cocu did not work out like we had hoped. That does not mean we should ditch the idea of getting in an experienced manager. It certainly does not provide a logical reason to go with a complete rookie who hasn't finished his badges and has had a grand total of 5 games in the dugout. 

Judging by the recent article re the takeover in The Athletic, we will have no choice other than to stick with the team we currently have in place (which may turn out to be a good choice; only time will tell).  If it's true, this could be a long winter for us........

9 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Well, let's hope the joke isn't on us and he keeps Albion up and Wazza takes us down....unlikely on both counts but time will tell....

Even if that was to happen, it’s impossible to predict what would have happened here under Big Sam. 

Success elsewhere doesn’t = success here. If only appointing managers was that easy.

Look at Pulis at Sheff Wed, Hughton isn’t pulling at trees up at Forest either excuse the pun. 

2 minutes ago, David said:

Even if that was to happen, it’s impossible to predict what would have happened here under Big Sam. 

Success elsewhere doesn’t = success here. If only appointing managers was that easy.

Look at Pulis at Sheff Wed, Hughton isn’t pulling at trees up at Forest either excuse the pun. 

Totally agree, I am not advocating Big Sam for the Rams but he has a reasonable track record in keeping teams up, Wazza hasn't....not that means too much.....

I'd be quite happy with Rooney, however in the position we are in, last played in the premier league donkeys years ago and some believe we dodged a bullet hiring Sam ? Out of all the managers available out there, he has one if not the best CV.

Managers with his pedigree don't come along very often, football not the best ? Give me Billy Ds promotion season over any of Macs or anyone who has tried and failed to get out of this league. We are in the bottom 3 of the second tier of football, we are not an attractive proposition at the moment.

6 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

Managers with his pedigree don't come along very often, football not the best ? Give me Billy Ds promotion season over any of Macs or anyone who has tried and failed to get out of this league. We are in the bottom 3 of the second tier of football, we are not an attractive proposition at the moment.

Missed a trick in not getting rid of Cocu in the summer when we had a clean slate for a new manager to come in and have a little time to bring some of his own players in. Getting rid of Cocu half way through the season when we were in the bottom 3 then reduces the attractiveness of the role and also means the new manager will be restricted to working with the existing players he's inherited.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing I guess. 

7 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Missed a trick in not getting rid of Cocu in the summer when we had a clean slate for a new manager to come in and have a little time to bring some of his own players in. Getting rid of Cocu half way through the season when we were in the bottom 3 then reduces the attractiveness of the role and also means the new manager will be restricted to working with the existing players he's inherited.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing I guess. 

Hindsight is, but we were going nowhere towards the back end of last season, add in that we sacked him weeks ago now and not replaced him, it shows a lack of forward planning for me.

I found myself watching 'Rooney: The Man Behind the Goals' earlier. Hard not to like him. Seems like a very grounded, calm, even shy sort of guy.

Still don't think he's what this club needs right now, but I like him more than I liked Lampard. So that's a start.

2 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I found myself watching 'Rooney: The Man Behind the Goals' earlier. Hard not to like him. Seems like a very grounded, calm, even shy sort of guy.

Still don't think he's what this club needs right now, but I like him more than I liked Lampard. So that's a start.

One day at a time, it will come and I’ll be ready to welcome you with open arms ?

Archived