Is Rooney The man To Take Us Forward?

Comrade 86

Is Rooney the right man for the manager's position?  

336 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was unconvinced by the idea of Rooney like, I suspect, most people but bloody hell has he proved us wrong. The difference between Cocu's team's performances and Rooney's are like chalk and cheese. The purpose, energy and sprit has changed out of all recognition. We'll finish top half, minimum. I even enjoy watching Rooney's rams.....

10 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Still no..... 2 wins in 10 and 5 goals scored..... 

Maybe glass half empty, but if a ?makes it feel better for you @RoyMac5 you laugh away

I laugh because it took Cocu quite some time to get us to a squad with one 34 year old striker.

But you expect to see Rooney solve all the problems, we've not many centre-halves either btw, in a few games and no transfer window. He has at least made us hard to beat, and getting into positions on the pitch to score. For you to think any other manager would do better or/and want to come here is indeed laughable. How could anyone keep a straight face? ?

1 minute ago, ShoreRam said:

I was unconvinced by the idea of Rooney like, I suspect, most people but bloody hell has he proved us wrong. The difference between Cocu's team's performances and Rooney's are like chalk and cheese. The purpose, energy and sprit has changed out of all recognition. We'll finish top half, minimum. I even enjoy watching Rooney's rams.....

Top half?

I love your optimism, but that’s a 13 point swing we are looking at.

There have been some positives - Swansea, Millwall and Brentford the highlights - but he hasn’t proven anything yet one way or another.

We’ve drawn games that were there to be won - Wycombe, Coventry and Stoke - and dropped a lot of valuable points.

Like I’ve said, the next two games will be the tipping point. Two wins and I think almost everyone will be in agreement including the key people behind the scenes, but two poor results and support could go in the opposite direction.

43 minutes ago, ShoreRam said:

I wish I could be as optimistic as you.

14 hours ago, ShoreRam said:

If you mean the top half of League 1 at the end of next season then yer totally agree with you. 

You must also have some masochistic tendencies if you "enjoy" watching us grind out dour nil nil results against the opposition.

Echo the thoughts of a few others on here atm.

1) hated the idea of a 'committee' of staff in charge

2) then was marginally happier when they stopped the 'committee' approach but wasn't convinced with the Rooney appointment felt like a continuation of the circus we've become

3) Now feeling quietly optimistic about the second half of the season seeing how performances have improved. Still not there yet at an acceptable level but at least we're showing fight, getting to second balls and showing a bit more of a spine in defence.

I'd also add how much Rooney went up in my estimations with how mature, reasoned and restrained his response was to the farcical excuse of refereeing last night. COYR

25 minutes ago, BrudeRAM said:

I'd also add how much Rooney went up in my estimations with how mature, reasoned and restrained his response was to the farcical excuse of refereeing last night.

I really liked Rooney's response on that.

Waggy did deserve to be sent off and Rooney agreed with it. Many managers would not have done so.

The foul on Sibley and extra minute that allowed Preston's goal was infuriating for all of us but Rooney was calm in his criticism of the decision.

All I’d say is that we now seem to be a unit rather than a group of individuals. The lads brought through by Lampard and Cocu are maturing well. I think Rooney is genuinely respected. The signs are good. We look like a proper team in terms of body language and effort on the pitch. I’d rather have Wayne than anyone else by a long way. I have a sense that he will stick with us for a while. No PL club is going to be knocking until he has achieved something. It would only be Man U or Everton who are on the up. So let’s see what Wayne’s world gives us. 

7 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Wayne Rooney is SO good at being a manager that he has now found a way to influence the opposition players into making mistakes! He’s like some sort of footballing ducking Jedi! Wow! 

That's partly because of our work rate though. It's phenomenal. I didn't want Rooney but the improvement is undeniable. That said we're playing very much like a typical McClaren side so it's somewhat difficult to know exactly how to apportion the credit!

9 minutes ago, Red Ram said:

That's partly because of our work rate though. It's phenomenal. I didn't want Rooney but the improvement is undeniable. That said we're playing very much like a typical McClaren side so it's somewhat difficult to know exactly how to apportion the credit!

That’s the most impressive thing, as well as the team shape, and defensive solidity, and I don’t think that’s a particular McClaren trait. There’s influence there though, and Rooney seems happy to take on board the guidance, which is important. 

Archived