Is Rooney The man To Take Us Forward?

Comrade 86

Is Rooney the right man for the manager's position?  

336 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

At the very least now, we have a clear pattern of play. We're solid, but we move the ball on much faster and we get bodies into the box. We seem to have a nice balance about the team. We look competitive in all games, which at times we didn't before, Rooney has definitely earned his shot.

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still don't want him to be our next permanent manager, for all the reasons I've already given.

However, I'm definitely a lot less against the idea after that Swansea performance, and the performance against Brentford. I could warm to the idea of him bringing in his own team, such as Mike Phelan and Darren Fletcher.

Still would rather see an experienced manager come in with Rooney as part of his team, though. 

5 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Still don't want him to be our next permanent manager, for all the reasons I've already given.

However, I'm definitely a lot less against the idea after that Swansea performance, and the performance against Brentford. I could warm to the idea of him bringing in his own team, such as Mike Phelan and Darren Fletcher.

Still would rather see an experienced manager come in with Rooney as part of his team, though. 

exactly my thoughts. i am happy to see him doing well but is he the long term answer, i am not sure.

the club can't afford to take unnessesery risks in our situation, we are still in the bottom 3

4 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I don't think we can go back now. Not for the rest of the season anyway.  If a new manager comes in and Rooney drops back to player/coach I can see all sorts of problems.

A solid spine gives trust to the more forward thinking players to make runs without the worry that they will leave gaps that our defence can't deal with. It must fill the whole team with confidence knowing your teammate had got your back and that appears to be something that Rooney and judging from the way the players were reacting with Rosenior after the Swansea game, have done 

31 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

If WR is ultimately appointed as permanent, he just won't agree to this

I've been skeptical, but this current mgt team just could be an inspired combination:

- SM the wise old head wanted a job, is loyal to the club and has influence over WR from shared history. Trusted by the board

- WR wants to be seen as the boss but is showing he has the sense and maturity to look to SM for guidance

- LM is (I reckon) very sound and has the decency to let WR have the limelight and to support him. I think their skills are complementary

- the players are mostly of an age where they grew up worshipping WR's brilliance on the pitch.  They are certainly taking his lead so far

It's early days but I am changing my mind about WR and this current set up. 

I voted Yes.

When I think back to early November the commitment, or lack of it against QPR & Barnsley had me fuming. It was abysmal or should that be shameful ?

In his short time as sole head coach, the Gang of Four idea was indicative of the state we were in at the times, a shambles on and off the pitch, he has brought cohesion, unity and pride back into the players’ performances for me.

Yeah, he’s a risk but he appears to have the players backing and let’s be honest, it’s not going great at Wednesday or Notts and their experienced managers is it.

I really hope we take at least a point tomorrow so he can go into his interview for the post next week unbeaten.

On 17/12/2020 at 16:49, Jourdan said:

Yes, they were. That’s the point. Rooney needs to show he can win those games where Cocu couldn’t.

We are having a good run and moving in the right direction, but it can all quickly unravel again if we fail to beat the teams around us.

Lose on Saturday and other results go against us - e.g Forest beating Millwall - and suddenly much of the work we have done in recent weeks looks redundant.

So far, we’ve drawn against Wycombe and Coventry. Had we won those games, we probably wouldn’t be the bottom three currently and we might even have taken the confidence from that and won games like Stoke at home or dare I say Brentford away too.

In the next five, we play Rotherham, Sheff Wed, Birmingham away and Preston and Rotherham at home.

We have to break this pattern and start beating teams of this ilk or the next five months will be a long hard slog.

I think you are being harsh and don’t really see how anyone can think Rooney hasn’t done a good job? When he came in the team looked terrible and completely shot of any confidence. Fast forward 5/6 games and we are playing Swansea ( who many fans would apparently love their manager) off the park. 

Rome wasn’t built in a day, but I think Rooney has definitely built a base on how he now wants the team to play. We seem to have a plan and preferred style of play, rather than being clueless like under Cocu 

3 hours ago, hughesy 1984 said:

I think you are being harsh and don’t really see how anyone can think Rooney hasn’t done a good job? When he came in the team looked terrible and completely shot of any confidence. Fast forward 5/6 games and we are playing Swansea ( who many fans would apparently love their manager) off the park. 

Rome wasn’t built in a day, but I think Rooney has definitely built a base on how he now wants the team to play. We seem to have a plan and preferred style of play, rather than being clueless like under Cocu 

Where have I said Rooney is doing a bad job? Nowhere have I said that.

I am just being consistent. I’d have been disappointed if it was Cocu or Lampard and they couldn’t beat Wycombe, Coventry or Rotherham. Why should Rooney be held to a different standard?

I think he has shown some promise but I need to see a little more from him to be convinced that he’s right for the job moving forward.

As @wollatonram pointed out, as interim manager, Rooney probably feels like he has a point to prove and getting the opportunity has lit a fire underneath him.

What happens when he gets the job - does he start to relax, ease up and lose that fire? What happens when we face some adversity - will he come up with the answers? What happens when we’re out of the bottom three - can he keep the players motivated and pushing for more?

I am not convinced about Rooney. But a win later today would go a long way to banishing that doubt.

4 hours ago, hughesy 1984 said:

He's done OK. Reality is under his sole charge, we've won 2 in 6 and including his time as part of the '4 man committee', its 2 wins in 8. He's also had the benefit of a fully fit squad, lower expectations in the light of our awful start to the season & some 'easy fixtures' on paper.

@Jourdan is spot on in saying the challenge of being an interim manager is probably firing Rooney up. If you look throughout his career, Rooney has had the path laid out for him...Everton prodigy, big move to Man Utd & England saviour., even if the latter never really materialised (despite his reported swagger into the World Cup/Euros training camps). The impression Rooney gave during his first 10 months here was initial enthusiasm & then losing interest by returning out of shape post-lockdown, prioritising Sport Relief & turning in some frankly bang average displays. His mates were actively pitching him for the job & I suspect the overwhelming opposition to his coronation (and he will have been aware of it) probably came of something as a surprise to him which is probably why he's upped his game in press conferences & started to show a modicum of passion for the club.  Good.

Clearly Rooney is in the box seat if results go in his favour but to say he's done a good job when we're still bottom 3 is a bit premature. There are some positive signs but we've dropped a lot of points under his charge already. One of the very few positive aspects of the takeover nonsense though is that it gives us plenty of time to properly look at Rooney as a manager. Look forward to seeing how we get on v Rotherham, a team that most definitely will not give us the space that Swansea provided.

There are so many posts asserting we should have done this or that against poor teams with no regard for the context.

Rooney took over when losing games had become a habit. The improvement is manifest, starting with becoming difficult to defeat. He deserves great credit for the progress made during his 6 games in sole charge. The performance against Swansea was as good as the one we saw against Blackburn, just before lockdown, perhaps even better.

He deserves the time to show if he can take us further.

Hopefully this isn't the kiss of death before the Rotherham game later today, but I would certainly be very happy for Rooney to be given the job.

Aspects of our play that have annoyed me for some time have been quickly ironed out, such as messing around with it at the back that too often led to giving the opposition chances and goals. The players have bought in to the change and the energy in the harrying of Swansea right up to the last minute when they were in possession was great to see. We played like the sort of team that I've wanted to see for a long time.

I don't believe this is just a new manager dead sheep bounce effect, as our tactics have evidently changed and we've become a lot more effective. Rooney obviously has a very strong work ethic and he seems to be positively using his experience of knowing what works and how managers are successful gained during a long playing career.

It's early days but I really can't see how I'd be any more impressed with anyone else in charge.

Latest John Percy article in the Torygraph. The gist:

1. 130 miles round trip to Moor Fm starts at 6am 

2. Chauffeur-driven, Wazza works in car plotting next game tactics.

3. Interview with Board for job next week. Including new “owner”.

4. “What appeared unlikely last month now appears inevitable”.

5. Unbeaten in 6. 2 wins & 4 draws. 4 clean sheets. 

6. Wazza has simplified things. Players were confused by Cocu’s tactics.

7. Wazza has great quiet confidence in his ability to do the job: he captained his country and Man Ure..

8. Helped by arrival of Mac3 as DoF.” Rooney regularly leaning on the former England manager for advice on tactics and team selection.”  Note Bene  @i-Ram

9. Does he miss playing? No. He loves being responsible for the whole team. 

10. Rooney operates open-door policy to tell players why they’re dropped and what they must do to get in the side.

11. Wazza acutely aware management is > than just picking the side for the match. He has a vision for the Club from A to Z.  

12. Regularly watches Academy under 18 and under 23. Is aware of the need for path through to 1st team and believes in the Golden Thread. 

13. Wazza has January transfer plan. Knows who he wants. 

14. Son signed for Man Ure this week.

15. “ I’ll do the best I can to get this club back where it belongs.”

05192183-9B55-40BD-A56C-461144901643.png

17 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

It is around six o'clock in the morning when Wayne Rooney leaves his Cheshire home to travel to Derby’s training ground on the outskirts of the city.

The 130-mile round trip is a grind — even with a chauffeur doing the driving — but Rooney does not let the time go to waste. Instead, he ensures that every minute is spent plotting and preparing for the next chapter in his stellar career.

Next week Rooney will present his future plans and philosophy for the Championship club to the board, and incoming new owners Bin Zayed International, and stake a claim to land the job permanently as manager. 

He is now in pole position to take his first managerial role, and the prospect of retirement as a footballer, after 19 years as a professional, is looming large in his rear-view mirrors.

Since taking the lead as Derby’s interim manager, the club are unbeaten in six games with two wins and four draws. On Wednesday evening, they produced their best performance of the season to beat Swansea 2-0.

Crucially, Derby have also managed four clean sheets in a row, tightening up at the back and removing one of the key issues which led to Phillip Cocu’s demise.

Those nagging fears that Rooney, 35, was simply being promoted due to his name and reputation are proving unfounded so far. What appeared unlikely last month now appears inevitable. 

I feel my future is in management and I’m ready to do it on a full-time basis,” he said on Friday, over Zoom. “As a player, I was prepared to put myself forward and not hide behind other people — it’s the same for this job. 

“I want to go into management full-time and there will be no excuses if it doesn’t work out. There has been a lot of pressure and if it didn’t go well it wouldn’t look great on me or my future ambitions to be a manager. 

“But I believe in myself and I’m confident in my abilities. I’ve been around for a long time: I’ve captained my country and United. I’ll do the best I can to get this club back where it belongs.”

Rooney takes Derby to Rotherham this weekend and another victory will only further his chances of being named manager, ahead of the anticipated takeover next week. 

If he is appointed, his days as a player will be behind him. He is England and United’s record goalscorer but took the decision to solely focus on management after the 3-0 defeat at Middlesbrough last month. After nearly two decades, does he miss playing at all?

“If I’m being honest, no!” he says, smiling. “Everyone wants to play as long as they can, but I think I’m ready for that next step. 

“I’m enjoying the preparations and tactically trying to get one over your opponent. It’s in some ways more satisfying winning a game as a manager because you’ve got full responsibility for the team.

“When you win the game it’s a great feeling, not only for me but the other coaches who put a lot of hard work in.”

Rooney will be the first to admit Derby’s recent resurgence is not all down to him. Steve McClaren’s return as technical director has been vital, with Rooney regularly leaning on the former England manager for advice on tactics and team selection.

Liam Rosenior is a highly capable first-team coach who completed his Pro-license when Rooney was still playing for United. Rosenior knows the Championship inside out, while the other two coaches, Shay Given and Justin Walker, have also proved invaluable.

Yet Rooney is unquestionably the “big man in town” and has provided the spark behind Derby’s revival. He is fully invested in the job, and acutely aware of the complexities of management beyond getting results on a match-day.

He keeps it simple for the players, with uncomplicated instructions and messages. While Cocu’s determination to instil a identity was admirable, he often left many players confused over their exact role in the team by passing on too much information. 

The 4-3-3 formation introduced against Swansea in midweek has been rarely seen in recent times. Rooney also operates an “open-door” policy, giving any player who is dropped the reasons why. 

It is not only the first-team where he devotes his time, recognising Derby’s plan to provide a clear pathway from the academy to the senior squad.

Earlier this month, Rooney gave an impromptu team-talk to Derby’s under-18s before their FA Youth Cup tie against Cardiff City. On Monday night, he was at Loughborough University to watch the under-23s.

He regularly speaks to the club’s academy coaches, and has already demonstrated a commitment to young players. Jack Stretton and Kornell McDonald, both 19, have made their debuts under Rooney, ahead of players with significantly more experience.

Rooney has also been making plans for the January transfer window, and is working under the assumption that he will be the one bringing players in.

It raises the question as to whether Rooney ever finds time to relax. “They are long days but I’m not 24-7 and my head is spinning around,” he says. “At home I’ll continue to do my work but I’m pretty good at switching my mind off. I’ve got four young children at home to deal with!”

There was a proud moment for the family, when his eldest son, Kai, signed for Manchester United this week after impressing on trial. As for dad — the next stage of his own footballing journey could soon be upon us.

@Anag RamNot sure it’s legit to copy full article verbatim that is behind a pay wall. You could get @David locked up in Wormwood Scrubs which he might sorely regret ?

Being 'anti' any manager is just a waiting game. 99% of managers eventually fail or occasionally do so well they get poached, and then inevitably become a fan target. 

Having been very much anti Rooney as manager, I see no reason to change my mind only to inevitably at some future point be proved correct...I will play the waiting game. ?

Wed was a huge step forward, if that were repeated he will get the job - unless there are a couple of imminent disastrous performances then he is hot favourite regardless. I just hope we are sensible and offer him until the end of the season with any longer new contract triggered by results at the end of the season.

Personally I would still rather someone proven at getting a team out of this league, but I think John Terry type suggestions are unlikely now. It's basically Wazza's to lose and if we keep winning then that's fine by me. 

Archived