Is Rooney The man To Take Us Forward?

Comrade 86

Is Rooney the right man for the manager's position?  

336 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, David said:

What irks me is the quick judgments, not giving managers or players any time before writing them off. This was just over 2 weeks ago. 

Screenshot 2020-12-16 at 20.31.58.png

You're passionless in your support? Have you never been fed up and just ranted? No because you're pale.

On 13/12/2020 at 16:31, Mafiabob said:

Clement lost 5 games in 30: fans - Clement out hes boring.

Rowett: top 6 from December onwards, fans from February - Rowett out hes boring

Wassall: 1 bad game against Rotherham: fans - Someone “experienced” in please

Cocu: 64 points from the squad he inherited last season - Cocu out we need a better coach.

Rooney: 3 goals, 1 win in 7 games, Including Coventry and Wycombe at home.... fans: we look improved, more dangerous, believe in Rooney.....

I have never seen the bar set so low for someone to succeed at Derby for a long time. 

If we talk about fickle and rank it - Derby fans must be contenders every season for the top 2 (hands up I admit I have been). 

Can someone tell me why the bar is so low for Rooney but higher for everyone else in terms of success? 

The bar is low, but with no losses and the Swansea game today, need I say more?

Just now, David said:

I'm not passionless at all, but this was after our second game under Rooney. Talk about overreaction.

Been waiting for Cocu to get sacked for what seemed like ages, sometimes it all gets too much! I've been pro-Rooney all the way. He's a footballing man, but more. I think he'll be a better manager than Lampard and if we don't sign him soon someone else will. Plus if he does well we'll be fighting off Manure soon too!

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Been waiting for Cocu to get sacked for what seemed like ages, sometimes it all gets too much! I've been pro-Rooney all the way. He's a footballing man, but more. I think he'll be a better manager than Lampard and if we don't sign him soon someone else will. Plus if he does well we'll be fighting off Manure soon too!

If we're in a position where United are calling for Rooney, it would suggest he's been doing a decent job for us. 

Said it so many times now, but I would always be worried if a manager had no ambition, saw Derby County in the Championship as the pinnacle of their career. 

I don't know the guy, but I would imagine Rooney has his sights set a lot higher, and if this proves to be a 18 month relationship, I'm fine with that. Considering the average tenure of a Championship manager, to demand any kind of loyalty would be foolish. 

For what it's worth, I don't see United rushing to appoint another ex player with little experience, would imagine Ole will be gone in the summer if not sooner and they will go for someone like Poch or another big name.

I think Rooney has to be given the job now. 6 games unbeaten, limited 3 teams in the top 6 to 1 shot on target in 3 games, 4 clean sheets in a row and tonight against a team that could go top against the highly rated Steve Cooper, and he tactically outdid him.

Ever since he’s come in there has been a difference. The players are far more positive in their play in and out of possession. When we’re defending we attack the ball. A performance and result like tonight has been coming.

If this had been Allardyce, or Cooper or any manager we had brought in we would be lauding him. Rooney deserves huge credit, the players are playing for him and I think it would be unfair not to give him the job now.

Im sold!

His interviews, and our observations of what we're seeing is all consistent.

He has improved levels of confidence, and promotes simple football - meaning football that the players understand.

Rooney will face challenges as time passes - and we may have to weather some dips in performance.

But, for me, he has been spot on in identifying and delivering what the players have needed so far. And if he manages do that at the next stage of the team's development, and continues to do so, to what now could we hope for?

1 hour ago, desirelines said:

Next six games are massive. Got a huge chance to grab some points and climb out of the mess. But will we?

... Chorley (FA Cup) ...

I hope that you won't mind me having to smile!

How nice will it be when we are no longer in a position where we think of Chorley as being a massive game!

I’ll hold my hands up, I didn’t think he’d be any good, but fair do’s, he’s instilled some belief and has us going in the right direction. Get a result on Saturday, and I’ll be even more in his camp.

One thing that is noticeable is that his interviews are a lot better. Not sure if it’s the fact the press are asking real questions instead of the same old cliched dross, but he speaks with a lot more authority, and clarity than when he was a player...

Archived