Is Rooney The man To Take Us Forward?

Comrade 86

Is Rooney the right man for the manager's position?  

336 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Wasn't keen on Rooney at first but I think he as proved me wrong and I think he should be manager until at least the end of the season and hopefully he can become our permanent manager from there. I thought last night we were superb as a team and I felt proud to be a Derby County fan. 

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Lampard is/was a dodgy used car salesman just like good old uncle ‘arry, loved by the London-Centric media circus that they both court. 
I am glad Wayne is nothing like that, I think he is coming across in all his interviews and press BS as a smart and thoughtful young man making his way in management. 
lampard always comes across as a smarmy, cocky dickwad...which is probably why Dawes liked him so much. 

My point about WR is it’s early days and he’s inexperienced. If we continue with the form we saw yesterday then he will deserve everyone’s support 

You’re very harsh on FL imo

20 hours ago, David said:

I see where you're coming from and I agree, we need to pick points up from teams around us to help our position, I just don't see it as the make or break game you do.

Championship is a nuts league, really would not surprise me to see us lose to Rotherham then win the next.  

The Championship is a simple league. We are just making it complicated.

Our inability to beat typically inconsistent or struggling teams is the difference between us being in the bottom three and comfortably higher up the table.

We have dropped 18 points in games versus Luton, Huddersfield, Barnsley, QPR, Forest, Wycombe and Coventry.

The reason why the Rotherham game is so important for Rooney’s prospects is because we are looking for a manager to correct that pattern and get us out of trouble.

The best way to do that is by getting results against teams in a similar position. Yes, it’s only three points, but it can be so freeing.

Take Coventry as an example. They were minutes away from losing to us. They grab a late equaliser and since then, they’ve gone on to beat Wycombe and Rotherham and draw with Luton and Huddersfield. Now they have some genuine breathing space.

Take Luton as another example. At the start of the season they probably feared another dogfight, but because they have beaten us, Sheff Wed, Rotherham, Wycombe, Barnsley and Preston, they also have plenty of breathing space.

It’s all about creating pressure for other teams and controlling your own fate. Think of the psychological shift when you win one of those games compared to the reverse when you lose.

For one, we wouldn’t be having to sit around worrying about how QPR are getting on at Wycombe if we had shown some propensity for winning those kind of games.

When you’re in the position that we are, beating teams like Norwich and Swansea is a bonus.

If you are not taking care of business against the teams around you, you’ll be stuck where you are.

i didn't think that Rooney would make a good manager, but am rethinking that opinion.  He abandoned Cocu's style of play, mixes it up more which is much to my liking and he seems to learn quickly as he goes, what works and what doesn't.  Also i like his interviews, he is straightforward and to the point, refreshing.

23 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

The Championship is a simple league. We are just making it complicated.

Our inability to beat typically inconsistent or struggling teams is the difference between us being in the bottom three and comfortably higher up the table.

We have dropped 18 points in games versus Luton, Huddersfield, Barnsley, QPR, Forest, Wycombe and Coventry.

The reason why the Rotherham game is so important for Rooney’s prospects is because we are looking for a manager to correct that pattern and get us out of trouble.

The best way to do that is by getting results against teams in a similar position. Yes, it’s only three points, but it can be so freeing.

Take Coventry as an example. They were minutes away from losing to us. They grab a late equaliser and since then, they’ve gone on to beat Wycombe and Rotherham and draw with Luton and Huddersfield. Now they have some genuine breathing space.

Take Luton as another example. At the start of the season they probably feared another dogfight, but because they have beaten us, Sheff Wed, Rotherham, Wycombe, Barnsley and Preston, they also have plenty of breathing space.

It’s all about creating pressure for other teams and controlling your own fate. Think of the psychological shift when you win one of those games compared to the reverse when you lose.

For one, we wouldn’t be having to sit around worrying about how QPR are getting on at Wycombe if we had shown some propensity for winning those kind of games.

When you’re in the position that we are, beating teams like Norwich and Swansea is a bonus.

If you are not taking care of business against the teams around you, you’ll be stuck where you are.

But most of them results were under Cocu and not Rooney, so I don’t see the relevance ? We are clearly a much better harder to beat team now 

Yep. And if he is rubbish then he’ll get sacked, just like any other manager would.  
If he does well, he’ll bugger off somewhere else, just like any other manager would.

No more guarantee of success with a so-called experienced or superstar manager (our last manager was arguably both and look what happened). 

I think Cocu's tenure will look in retrospect similar to Nigel Clough's. Both left fairly tidy and balanced squads, trimmed financial fat on the wage bill by working within their budgets (and without public complaint), but for whatever reason couldn't get their squads to play up to their full potential. It's early yet, but the squad seems to enjoy playing for Rooney. I don't see how we can pass him over at this point without alienating the playing staff at a time when we can ill-afford to do so. I'd give him a two-year contract and make clear that he answers directly to McClaren in whatever areas of his job description we're worried he's unprepared for. 

2 minutes ago, hughesy 1984 said:

But most of them results were under Cocu and not Rooney, so I don’t see the relevance ? We are clearly a much better harder to beat team now 

Yes, they were. That’s the point. Rooney needs to show he can win those games where Cocu couldn’t.

We are having a good run and moving in the right direction, but it can all quickly unravel again if we fail to beat the teams around us.

Lose on Saturday and other results go against us - e.g Forest beating Millwall - and suddenly much of the work we have done in recent weeks looks redundant.

So far, we’ve drawn against Wycombe and Coventry. Had we won those games, we probably wouldn’t be the bottom three currently and we might even have taken the confidence from that and won games like Stoke at home or dare I say Brentford away too.

In the next five, we play Rotherham, Sheff Wed, Birmingham away and Preston and Rotherham at home.

We have to break this pattern and start beating teams of this ilk or the next five months will be a long hard slog.

4 minutes ago, WNC Ram said:

I'd give him a two-year contract and make clear that he answers directly to McClaren in whatever areas of his job description we're worried he's unprepared for. 

you said it: 'it's early yet'  Risky to give him a new contract before he's got us well clear of the relegation zone     Which I think he probably will    I think they will wait a while 

15 hours ago, WNC Ram said:

I think Cocu's tenure will look in retrospect similar to Nigel Clough's. Both left fairly tidy and balanced squads, trimmed financial fat on the wage bill by working within their budgets (and without public complaint), but for whatever reason couldn't get their squads to play up to their full potential. It's early yet, but the squad seems to enjoy playing for Rooney. I don't see how we can pass him over at this point without alienating the playing staff at a time when we can ill-afford to do so. I'd give him a two-year contract and make clear that he answers directly to McClaren in whatever areas of his job description we're worried he's unprepared for. 

I'm no fan of Nigel Clough but really you cannot compare his tenure with Cocu's. If you recall Clough served to save us from relegation in his first season, Cocu did his damnedest to actually get us down.

The players Clough inherited were nowhere near the calibre of the ones that Cocu had at his disposal which he conspired to turn into relegation fodder. 

21 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Slightly off topic (marginally)... If Wayne Rooney wants Derby County to take a punt on him as a fledgling manager......

Why has his son Kai signed for MUFC instead of joining our set up? ??‍♂️??‍♂️

Perhaps it's closer and easier to get to, is there a travel limit for kids? Or maybe he supports Man U! 

15 hours ago, WNC Ram said:

I think Cocu will be considered one of the worst managers we’ve had in the modern era! He made Phil Brown look effective. 

24 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Slightly off topic (marginally)... If Wayne Rooney wants Derby County to take a punt on him as a fledgling manager......

C9FA247D-FBBA-4B5E-BD47-481CBEA48816.jpeg

Perhaps his wife and son had some say in things. Or perhaps, as you want to conclude, Rooney will be manager of United by the time Kai breaks through ? 

58 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I think Cocu will be considered one of the worst managers we’ve had in the modern era! He made Phil Brown look effective. 

Sorry Mostyn but that is harsh and wrong. Phil Brown was truly awful here. Not sure how you can compare Cocu to a manager that played Poole, Houldsworth, Thirwell, Fadiga, Stern John etc. That was a terrible time for the club in and off the pitch. 

20 minutes ago, rynny said:

Sorry Mostyn but that is harsh and wrong. Phil Brown was truly awful here. Not sure how you can compare Cocu to a manager that played Poole, Houldsworth, Thirwell, Fadiga, Stern John etc. That was a terrible time for the club in and off the pitch. 

Completely agree. Would also have him over Pearson or Clement. 

1 hour ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

C9FA247D-FBBA-4B5E-BD47-481CBEA48816.jpeg

For me it would have been a bad choice both as a father and as a manager to sign him for Derby County.

Manchester is closer to his home, he will know people there already, yes there is a legacy, but his dad can talk him through the expectations etc. He is already a Utd fan which goes a long way at Utd.

His dad is currently at Derby, he would always be thought of of either getting preferential treatment no matter what he did, or staff being harder on him so it didin't look like prefferential treatment.

If his dad leaves at the end of his contract and doesn't become manager then they would have to take him out to move him closer to home anyway.

This decision I think is the best by far.

19 minutes ago, England Ram said:

For me it would have been a bad choice both as a father and as a manager to sign him for Derby County.

Manchester is closer to his home, he will know people there already, yes there is a legacy, but his dad can talk him through the expectations etc. He is already a Utd fan which goes a long way at Utd.

His dad is currently at Derby, he would always be thought of of either getting preferential treatment no matter what he did, or staff being harder on him so it didin't look like prefferential treatment.

If his dad leaves at the end of his contract and doesn't become manager then they would have to take him out to move him closer to home anyway.

This decision I think is the best by far.

Fair point ??

Archived