v Wycombe (H) - Match Thread

Bubbles

4 minutes ago, lrm14 said:

After CKR went off it really highlighted how poor our midfield is at the moment. We never seem capable of getting our foot on the ball for an extended period of time unless the other team quite literally sits in their half and lets us.

On a seperate note, I thought it was pretty crazy how much Akinfenwa changed the game when he came on. I've never seen anyone bully Davies and Wisdom like that. I suppose the only reason I'm not too down after the result is that without Akinfenwa, who's a complete anomaly in this league, I'm fairly confident that we go on to win the game. The Cov game feels like an absolute must win now.

Honestly I think Davies has been bullied by a far few physical strikers now. Dykes had him beat the other week for QPR 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Game of two halves. 

Looked ok with CKR up front but as soon as he came off we struggled. Shows how much we miss a target man. We should have had 2 or 3 more goals before they scored. One superb save by Alsop, one cleared off the line, two very close offside calls. Was a very physical game that we worked hard to compete in the first and just couldn't keep up in the second. Would have liked to see us play more football second half but CKR, Sibley and Holmes just didnt have the legs and I didn't think Knight, Joz and Waghorn handled the physicality well. Waghorn did nothing and pulled out of a 50 50 at the end. As others have said, he can't play that number 9 role. He's a second striker in a pair or a winger. In desperate need of a target man, absolutely clear to see. Good to see Stretton get some minutes and have a good couple of touches.

Lawrence had a better game than recent ones, thought Clarke and Davies looked ok too, and it was unfortunately a Wisdom error that led to their goal. Also didn't mind Fozzy today although he seemed to tire towards the end.

End of the day, it was a scrappy game. If the goals had gone in for the chances mentioned, we'd have a comfortable 3-0 win. But, when things are going against you and youve got no confidence to play wins turn into draws and losses like today. 

Can't believe we've not won that one. The frightening thing is Wycombe were comfortably the worst side we've played this season and we still couldn't put them away. 

This habit of playing 'well' but still hanging onto one goal leads late into the game is unbelievably infuriating. Yes, some fantastic saves to deny Evans & Forsyth but some pretty casual finishing also. Its also ridiculous how defensively we were set up today & yet we still couldn't keep a clean sheet. The lack of concentration is just appalling.

The game was there to be won just after half time - no idea why Rooney persisted with keeping the Shinnie/Evans axis in the centre of midfield. Was a total waste seeing them up the field without the quality to punish Wycombe & their inability to control the play when Wycombe picked up, meant possession was surrended time & time again. 

At least one bright spot today - Kazim showed he has the skillset to be a regular starter at CF & all of our best moves came with him on the field. Its pretty galling to think that we had such a deep midfield unable to maximise the advantage he gave us.

Rooney had better be a quick learner because he isn't going to get many more opportunities. We can't afford it.

Just now, Anon said:

A pointless bit of trivia. Gareth Ainsworth was part of that Cambridge squad and a favourite of John Beck, who signed him on three separate occasions.

There we go .  Used to work with the sister of one the young Derby players who went there.  He used to hose his players with cold water while they were training and had a team of grounds men brushing the grass in one direction to make sure the ball would stick to hold the ball for the hoof.  We drew with his mini me it sounds.

1 minute ago, brady1993 said:

Honestly I think Davies has been bullied by a far few physical strikers now. Dykes had him beat the other week for QPR 

Yeah you're right actually, Dykes did seem to have an edge on him. I guess I'm still stuck in the Rowett season where nobody managed to bully him.

Just now, Anag Ram said:

Well it was better wasn't it? 

Not great but better. 

Lawrence much improved. Holmes too. CKR battled well. Wish Stretton had been brought on before Waghorn, just to stretch them a bit. 

Wayne will have learned a bit more. 

It depends what you mean by better ? 

Better than all but 15 minutes against Middlesbrough? Maybe.

A step in the right direction. God no. The reason why we looked like we might score was down to the opposition. Look at our goal again, look at how easy it is. Players committing super early so Lawrence can easily skip past and Holmes is completely unmarked in the 6yard box. 

They allowed so much time and space in and around their box it was unreal.

14 minutes ago, Spanish said:

people seem desperate to vent.

we were unlucky and we should have been 2 or 3 goals in front at HT.  Sibbos miss was awful thank god it wasn't one of the normal scapegoats.  We will get better in January as I expect that we will strengthen the forward line.  We need to hang on at the moment and keep the gap as close as possible.  If that means getting a point against the mighty Wycombe so be it.  I wouldnt object to a point against Coventry.  Colin looked great why has he been denied a start in the past

Coulda, shoulda, woulda doesn't win you games or keep you from being relegated. We have just scraped a draw at home to absolutely the worst team I've ever seen in the Championship, and yet they bossed us in the second half and were the width of a crossbar away from beating us. I wouldn't object to a point against Coventry either because quite honestly I think they are going to murder us the way we are playing. 

Nothing will change in January if Rooney and the current coaching staff are still in charge. We are crying out for an experienced manager to stop the rot - nothing else will do.

1 minute ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Can't believe we've not won that one. The frightening thing is Wycombe were comfortably the worst side we've played this season and we still couldn't put them away. 

This habit of playing 'well' but still hanging onto one goal leads late into the game is unbelievably infuriating. Yes, some unbelievable  saves to deny Evans & Forsyth but some pretty casual finishing also. Its also ridiculous how defensively we were set up today & yet we still couldn't keep a clean sheet. The lack of concentration is just appalling.

The game was there to be won just after half time - no idea why Rooney persisted with keeping the Shinnie/Evans axis in the centre of midfield. Was a total waste seeing them up the field without the quality to punish Wycombe & their inability to control the play when Wycombe picked up, meant possession was surrended time & time again. 

At least one bright spot today - Kazim showed he has the skillset to be a regular starter at CF & all of our best moves came with him on the field. Its pretty galling to think that we had such a deep midfield unable to maximise the advantage he gave us.

Rooney had better be a quick learner because he isn't going to get many more opportunities. We can't afford it.

100% agree with this. Those two didn't have the creativity and as soon as Sibley lost his legs we had nothing.

2 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Anyone else think there's been a bit of an overreaction to today's game? People talking of a 'collapse'? It wasn't that bad.

I get why they are it was better but not good enough.  It’s a bit childish though given it will take a miracle to get this bunch playing well. All this talk of needing to beat Coventry shows how deep the denial is.  It’s back to the wall time for supporters as well as players.  I believe it will get better and I have far from given up hope.  Target is to avoid relegation on goal difference I expect nothing more

4 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Anyone else think there's been a bit of an overreaction to today's game? People talking of a 'collapse'? It wasn't that bad.

Average again. It's okay to be average if you can finish or get goals or results. We can't do anything. We aren't mid table. We are bottom, drawing at home against a fellow team battling relegation. 

8 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Well it was better wasn't it? 

Not great but better. 

Lawrence much improved. Holmes too. CKR battled well. Wish Stretton had been brought on before Waghorn, just to stretch them a bit. 

Wayne will have learned a bit more. 

That was Lawrence improved ??!?!

wow 

He was absolutely bloody shocking in his decision making 

4 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Nope, it was a the start of some must win games and if we can’t win this then the next ones are looking like an impossible task.  I’m now convinced we will go down and the implications of this I can’t quite think about right now. Hope I’m wrong!

Archived