v Wycombe (H) - Match Thread

Bubbles

8 minutes ago, Ruud Aralliss said:

Never a big fan of Rooney, always thought he was a bit of a tw@

Now I can’t bear to look at his face.  Anyone else feel like this?

He needs to earn his right to manage Derby, work his way up from the lower leagues, at least Gerrard has done that.....

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They brought Akinfenwa on & we made him look like Brazilian Ronaldo. RAMS TV going on about him every time he touched it like he's a football genius 

He's a big lump that's alright at holding it up & playing off. We defended massively poorly against him & our back four should be embarrassed. Akinfenwa shouldnt be coming on & changing a game like that against any half decent team 

This isnt a dig at akinfenwa but it just highlights how rubbish we are 

The starting line up always felt counter intuitive. 

The way we set up, it seemed we paid too much respect to Wycombe. Very much a case of trying to stop the opposition rather than playing to our natural strengths.

Now if we had got a second goal and killed the game off, it would have looked like a masterstroke.

But instead the anger will be off the charts tonight because it’s not like we went out and put our best foot forward.

It was shades of Fulham away in the play offs under Rowett. We had a game plan that was always doomed to fail. 

We tried to be solid, we tried to be clever, we tried to be cute. It didn’t work.

When you are essentially playing to dig out a 1-0 win, you are skating on thin ice. It only takes one lapse for the whole plan to blow up. And so it proved.

We need to take the one real positive from today - Kazim Richards showing himself to be a capable stand in - and let everything else be a lesson.

Byrne and Buchanan at full back. Clarke and Te Wierik at centre half. Knight and Sibley plus Bird/Bielik in midfield. Lawrence and Jozwiak out wide.

If we are going to go down, let’s at least go down having a go and showing some ambition.

11 minutes ago, Ruud Aralliss said:

Never a big fan of Rooney, always thought he was a bit of a tw@

Now I can’t bear to look at his face.  Anyone else feel like this?

Nope Ruud, he wears the badge.  Never understand how anybody can hate one of ours.  I don't get to many matches and going back a few years  one of my rare visits enabled me to go to PP.  The woman in front of when seeing Hulse (yep it was a long time ago!) exclaimed how much she hated hated him.  Got goodness sake he is our CF I said or words to that affect.  He scored the winner

I'll state my bias up front that I took one look at that line up today and nearly threw up. We'd practically named 6 defenders, were clearly going to have problems keeping the ball in midfield with the players named and lack ability going forwards. 

First half:

After a shaky first 10 minutes, we did ok without doing anything special. CKR and the likes of Sibley, Lawrence and Holmes running off him looked bright. Ultimately we never really got control of the game due to an inability to keep the ball in the middle of the park and failed to capitalise on what really was a bad bad Wycombe team that first half. They are comfortably the worst side I've seen us play against for a while, especially first half there were gaps everywhere. 

We went in 1-0 but it was far from convincing especially given how poor we were at having spells in possession.

Second half:

The issues with the line up came more to the fore the second half as fitness wained and they changed tactically. Akinfenwa had the clear beating of Davies and it meant they could just load it onto him and inevitably something would drop. This meant unlike the first half they had a way to attack us. Because of the lack of pace in the back line we were defending deep all game and then meant now when Akinfenwa made a nuisance of himself it was dropping in dangerous areas. This was compounded by a complete inability to keep the ball especially in the midfield with both Shinnie and Evans being somewhere between poor and anonymous.

All of that lead to a scrappy second half mostly played just inside our half with Wycombe frequently launching the ball into the box. This of course was exacerbated when CKR went off removing one of the few players who were keeping the ball. Honestly one or both of Bielik and Bird should have been on to try to impose something on the midfield. But we were a bit too happy to let the game keep going. The goal in the end was somewhat inevitable and honestly we were somewhat lucky after that not to lose.

Overall

I don't really know what we've learned here aside from CKR looking half decent. We named a defensive line up against a poor side and got a point. Unsurprisingly we haven't got the right (or perhaps) defenders to sit back and grind out a win and if we name Davies in defence and Evans and shinnie in midfield unsurprisingly we don't keep the ball very well. I just don't get the point of what we were trying to do here. I don't understand why we didn't name something more positive and try to the game to a side that was clearly their to be got at. For all those saying "can't be worse" well honestly this is worse.

If we keep going like we've been doing this past two games we are going down. We need an actual manager in asap and to clear out the coaching staff. Failing that just give it McClaren.

It was a promising start to Rooney’s reign with the big man upfront but it’s worrying that as soon as CKR went off we resorted to the ‘old way’ of playing - in addition we made no attempt to counter their change of formation/personnel and there really didn’t seem to be any plan to our play (other than hope we can hoof it up the pitch and catch the opposition on the break).
You’d hope all these folk with their coaching qualifications could see what we needed to do, or try to change things on the pitch but they seem content to let the players do their own thing - I continually find myself wondering why opposition teams seem to have a plan to beat us but we just look like a group of random players running about like an under-10s side....

I don’t care if it was Rooney or Mac running the show today,it was a better performance for the most part and we saw far fewer individual mistakes being made,more confidence and several players looking better than previously,ckr being the standout obviously.

we should have won today and we’re extremely unlucky not to have scored a hatful.

im far more hopeful than I was that we can get something out of this season.

2 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

The starting line up always felt counter intuitive. 

The way we set up, it seemed we paid too much respect to Wycombe. Very much a case of trying to stop the opposition rather than playing to our natural strengths.

Now if we had got a second goal and killed the game off, it would have looked like a masterstroke.

But instead the anger will be off the charts tonight because it’s not like we went out and put our best foot forward.

It was shades of Fulham away in the play offs under Rowett. We had a game plan that was always doomed to fail. 

We tried to be solid, we tried to be clever, we tried to be cute. It didn’t work.

When you are essentially playing to dig out a 1-0 win, you are skating on thin ice. It only takes one lapse for the whole plan to blow up. And so it proved.

We need to take the one real positive from today - Kazim Richards showing himself to be a capable stand in - and let everything else be a lesson.

Byrne and Buchanan at full back. Clarke and Te Wierik at centre half. Knight and Sibley plus Bird/Bielik in midfield. Lawrence and Jozwiak out wide.

If we are going to go down, let’s at least go down having a go and showing some ambition.

Hi J

you want Mike back?  good god he would have been filleted today

2 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I'll state my bias up front that I took one look at that line up today and nearly threw up. We'd practically named 6 defenders, were clearly going to have problems keeping the ball in midfield with the players named and lack ability going forwards. 

First half:

After a shaky first 10 minutes, we did ok without doing anything special. CKR and the likes of Sibley, Lawrence and Holmes running off him looked bright. Ultimately we never really got control of the game due to an inability to keep the ball in the middle of the park and failed to capitalise on what really was a bad bad Wycombe team that first half. They are comfortably the worst side I've seen us play against for a while, especially first half there were gaps everywhere. 

We went in 1-0 but it was far from convincing especially given how poor we were at having spells in possession.

Second half:

The issues with the line up came more to the fore the second half as fitness wained and they changed tactically. Akinfenwa had the clear beating of Davies and it meant they could just load it onto him and inevitably something would drop. This meant unlike the first half they had a way to attack us. Because of the lack of pace in the back line we were defending deep all game and then meant now when Akinfenwa made a nuisance of himself it was dropping in dangerous areas. This was compounded by a complete inability to keep the ball especially in the midfield with both Shinnie and Evans being somewhere between poor and anonymous.

All of that lead to a scrappy second half mostly played just inside our half with Wycombe frequently launching the ball into the box. This of course was exacerbated when CKR went off removing one of the few players who were keeping the ball. Honestly one or both of Bielik and Bird should have been on to try to impose something on the midfield. But we were a bit too happy to let the game keep going. The goal in the end was somewhat inevitable and honestly we were somewhat lucky after that not to lose.

Overall

I don't really know what we've learned here aside from CKR looking half decent. We named a defensive line up against a poor side and got a point. Unsurprisingly we haven't got the right (or perhaps) defenders to sit back and grind out a win and if we name Davies in defence and Evans and shinnie in midfield unsurprisingly we don't keep the ball very well. I just don't get the point of what we were trying to do here. I don't understand why we didn't name something more positive and try to the game to a side that was clearly their to be got at. For all those saying "can't be worse" well honestly this is worse.

If we keep going like we've been doing this past two games we are going down. We need an actual manager in asap and to clear out the coaching staff. Failing that just give it McClaren.

Good summary 

25 minutes ago, nottingram said:

They kept clean sheets v Brentford and Huddersfield, beat Birmingham, drew with Watford.

Dont think they’re a good side but they’re no mugs. 

I'm only judging them on what I saw today and not on where they are or who they are. That could have been them having a really off day for all I now but they were very poor that first half. 

Like I said before if either side played like they did today against a good side they would have been battered.

12 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Thought we played well today, obviously lost it slightly towards the end of the game. However we created chances, look fluid at times and should of won. Fozzy and CKR best two players on the pitch. Bring on Cov COYR

If bang average against one of the worst teams this division has ever seen is now seen as us playing well thrn we truly are screwed. 

2 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

If bang average against one of the worst teams this division has ever seen is now seen as us playing well thrn we truly are screwed. 

Oh we’re screwed there’s no two ways about that, just thought compared to our standard of late we played better/well 

1 hour ago, dantheram said:

How many goals have we conceded in the 75-90 bracket now? Utter poo 

How many loans can we have at Xmas. We need five players to stay up.i Iam watching Leeds v Everton. The fitness and aggression is phenomenal. Six of the players playing today we're at the club when Bielsa arrived. They are like a relentless storm coming at you. Three or four quality players off a top six side, maybe top four. Fitness is amazing. Everyone committed to the cause. We need a captain, a centre half, a powerful midfielder, a striker, a reserve goalkeeper another fullback. Above all we need two training sessions a day. We must compete for every ball and get men behind the ball plus always have a man on the line. Rant over for the moment. Bamford is a very good player. Proper football game.

Archived