v Wycombe (H) - Match Thread

Bubbles

Poor starting lineup but they played well first half. They clearly tired early on in the second half. It's understandable considering the average age of the 11 was close to 30 despite Sibley starting. The game was crying out for changes early on. To leave it until the 90th minute to make our 4th sub was crazy. Especially so with the score being 1-1 for 10 minutes prior.

When will we finally learn how to make use of 5 subs?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the positive side .. That goal was a thing of beauty. A rare beast at the present time. This is what I cherish this evening.

The rest .. meh whatever - ugly, we didn’t lose.  Sod it, wait till the next game. Not sulking, disappointed, but at least we got something. Better weather round the corner, keep the faith. 

25 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Admittedly it does look like he has been frozen out and there is no way back for him.

So far, he hasn’t looked good. There’s no denying that. But is four games enough for any player to show what they can do? Especially one adjusting to a new league and a new country.

For me, we know what we are getting with Davies, Wisdom and Evans and know they aren’t the right fit.

For me, I’d go for Clarke and Te Wierik and see how it goes. 

Not sure how an already fragile back line would benefit from yet another centre back pairing combo ... 

as u say te wirek has already showed he needs to time to TRY and adapt to the English game ... he may adapt and still not be good enough .... he may not adapt at all

were not in the position to allow him that time atm 

go with what we know 

today we didn’t drop points Cos of the back four, if we had anything that resembled a cutting edge or goal threat we would have ran out winners 

same can be said for several games this season 

we carry no goal threat and so the pressure is on the back four every game, til we change that nothing will change 

21 minutes ago, StrawHillRam said:

And with our curse , they get injured or lose form anyway

Yeah that's true. Maybe we need the gypsy lady to break the curse again.

I wonder if we have nothing to spend is the loan market the way forward? Though why you would want to take a loan here I'm not sure lol very difficult to buy Championship level players when they think you might go down

9 minutes ago, HorsforthRam said:

Why do we persist in playing Waghorn in a role he plainly can’t do? I really feel he’s more useful to the opposition than us in that role. Heavy touches, backwards, fouling amd constantly offside 

He'd fit well into the role of kitchen staff in a McDonalds in Middlesbrough and would definitely look great in the cap.

At a push he could take the orders for the drive through, but only at a push!

"Mcflurry in a hurry?"...."Sauce for the boss?" ......"Chicken Legend for the Legend? "...............

27 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Admittedly it does look like he has been frozen out and there is no way back for him.

So far, he hasn’t looked good. There’s no denying that. But is four games enough for any player to show what they can do? Especially one adjusting to a new league and a new country.

For me, we know what we are getting with Davies, Wisdom and Evans and know they aren’t the right fit.

For me, I’d go for Clarke and Te Wierik and see how it goes. 

Te Wierik is the best all-round CB we have for the RCB position. Davies is poor when dealing with pace and playing out from the back. Wisdom and Evans both poor in the air and getting caught out with teams playing around them. te Wierik is average at everything but not exactly poor at anything either.

Scrappy.

Better than recent showings, but still very mediocre against a pretty poor side. Not surprising as it was a team of mostly average players.

Bold move to make so many changes, but a couple of strange ones amongst them for me, most notably Knight's omission. Had an essence of change for changes sake, but still didn't drop Lawrence. 

CKR stood out, but really that's more a sign of the lack of that sort of player for the past few months. 

I wouldn't expect it to improve much more without additions to the squad, maybe we will at least score a little more frequently, but not enough to put teams to the sword or in most games match the goals conceded.

Aside from our lack of confidence which will see us struggle to close games out regardless of if we are winning or drawing, the lack of managerial nous/game management was costly. At the point he put Jozwiak on, we should have thrown another defender on to man mark Akinfenwa. Makes me wonder if he and Bloomfield had started we may have crumbled sooner. 

42 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

?

Mel down behind the bench with Pearce. McClaren down behind the bench and went into the dressing room at half time. Player/coach/manager Rooney and his coaches made a decision on who should be manager amongst themselves rather than the board. 

What a ducking mess this is. 

Duck me ffs. Absolute shambles. Just get one proper manager and stick him in charge!

7 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Not sure how an already fragile back line would benefit from yet another centre back pairing combo ... 

as u say te wirek has already showed he needs to time to TRY and adapt to the English game ... he may adapt and still not be good enough .... he may not adapt at all

were not in the position to allow him that time atm 

go with what we know 

today we didn’t drop points Cos of the back four, if we had anything that resembled a cutting edge or goal threat we would have ran out winners 

same can be said for several games this season 

we carry no goal threat and so the pressure is on the back four every game, til we change that nothing will change 

I actually think we arguably did drop points down to the back 4 and I think you can look at it from 3 angles:

1) We named a very defensive "defenders defend" back 4 with little outlet from the back back aside from admittedly good play in the first half by Fozzy (which disappeared as he tired). Along with two very defensive defensive midfielders in front of them. Ultimately naming very few actual forward thinking players.

2) A slow backline and Davies in particular meant we were defending deep and dropping deeper as the game went on. This combined with bringing on Akinfenwa who had the beating of Davies meant they started getting a lot of scrappy bits dropping in and around the box.

3) For their goal you can make a strong case Wisdom and Davies (and perhaps Marshall) all need to do better.

Perhaps with a more aggressive quicker back line we could have either scored more or not been defending balls so deep in the box. 

Not advocating for Te Wierik necessarily but that back 4 was a mistake today especially with that midfield.

11 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Te Wierik is the best all-round CB we have for the RCB position. Davies is poor when dealing with pace and playing out from the back. Wisdom and Evans both poor in the air and getting caught out with teams playing around them. te Wierik is average at everything but not exactly poor at anything either.

Honestly from what I've seen I do kinda want to try out Bielik there for a serious run of games. Thought he was good against Barnsley and he's most physically dominant player we have.

Also I think with Davies he's increasingly getting found wanting against physical forwards which should be his bread and butter. Akinfenwa isn't the first striker this season to have the beating of him...

1 minute ago, brady1993 said:

Honestly from what I've seen I do kinda want to try out Bielik there for a serious run of games. Thought he was good against Barnsley and he's most physically dominant player we have.

From a 'pure' footballing sense I agree. partnered with Clarke at CB, Bird, Knight and Sibely in midfield and it'll be a joy to behold.

I doubt the defensive ability with that spine to the team, but pressing quickly from the front should make that redundant.

For where the squad is at the moment, I think we'd be better of with Bielik at DM to be honest.

How can anyone say we were good today? The line up was aimed at physicality and we tried to match them in that department? Surely today was the day to let the kids play around them and play football with Kazim up top who was great today.But instead we went for experience and strength.

I do get making the back line stronger by bringing in Fozzy for the unlucky Buchanan and Wisdom for Byrne and Davies back i get that against players like Akinfenwa but Knight should have played centrally and although Holmes scored I don't think he deserved to start today nor did Evans.

some may see a draw as a start and end the rot slightly but second half we were backs to the wall mainly and was crying out for change to make Wycombe worry about us as it seemed they were in the ascendency.

This may sound harsh but I just don't see Rooney being the answer as a manager, he just seemed to stand watching and I'm not that sure he's tactically aware enough, but we have another coach in Rosenior who can advise or another coach in Mac who can advise or another coach in Given who can advise or another coach in Walker who can advise or another coach in Given who can advise!!!!! its a frigging shambles!!! Mel please get this club taken over asap and clear the decks for a manager to take it forward....please!

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

From a 'pure' footballing sense I agree. partnered with Clarke at CB, Bird, Knight and Sibely in midfield and it'll be a joy to behold.

I doubt the defensive ability with that spine to the team, but pressing quickly from the front should make that redundant.

For where the squad is at the moment, I think we'd be better of with Bielik at DM to be honest.

Thing is I'm just at the point of being done with considering defensive ability, I think it's counter productive in our current situation to an extent. Look at today we practically named as defensive a line up as we could reasonably manage and we still could have easily conceded 2 or 3 towards the end.  None of the defenders we have bar maybe Clarke (even then I'm not sure) are good enough to just sit and defend.

Davies for as much as he is touted as "the" defender once again got battered by a striker and forced us back into a deep line. Would Bielik have done any worse ? He's stronger, wins the ball back quicker and is far better on the ball.

Like I've said before I just want us to start naming the actually talented players in a line up consistently and aggressively taking the game to teams. It's what we should have done today. 

4 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Thing is I'm just at the point of being done with considering defensive ability, I think it's counter productive in our current situation to an extent. Look at today we practically named as defensive a line up as we could reasonably manage and we still could have easily conceded 2 or 3 towards the end.  None of the defenders we have bar maybe Clarke (even then I'm not sure) are good enough to just sit and defend.

Davies for as much as he is touted as "the" defender once again got battered by a striker and forced us back into a deep line. Would Bielik have done any worse ? He's stronger, wins the ball back quicker and is far better on the ball.

Like I've said before I just want us to start naming the actually talented players in a line up consistently and aggressively taking the game to teams. It's what we should have done today. 

Good point. Just looks at Leeds who have been poor defensively (when actually defending) under Bielsa. If you press early enough an win in back quickly, what does it matter how good the defender are at defending?

Today was a good opportunity to play fantastic football against one of the worst footballing sides this division has ever seen. Instead, we looked rather average overall.

Let's get the footballing footballers out there!? 

Just now, Ghost of Clough said:

Good point. Just looks at Leeds who have been poor defensively (when actually defending) under Bielsa. If you press early enough an win in back quickly, what does it matter how good the defender are at defending?

Today was a good opportunity to play fantastic football against one of the worst footballing sides this division has ever seen. Instead, we looked rather average overall.

Let's get the footballing footballers out there!? 

The time to start worrying is when DCFC changes 7 players to try and match Wycombe Wanderers, no disrespect intended to a great little team with a very good hard working manager in Ainsworth but they will struggle to stay up......

1 minute ago, S8TY said:

The time to start worrying is when DCFC changes 7 players to try and match Wycombe Wanderers, no disrespect intended to a great little team with a very good hard working manager in Ainsworth but they will struggle to stay up......

Debatable whether we made 7 defensive changes due to playing Wycombe vs being on a poor run of results.

Still, today should have been a good opportunity to instill confidence in the players by fielding an attacking team.

Archived