Cocu meeting the board today

Arsene Titman

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Spanish said:

There is no crowd to chase him out only the owner.  Another 2 or 3 months of this rubbish, thank god we won’t have to see how wrong you are.  There is nothing to indicate this will change nothing at all.  By January we will be bottom and a least 6 points from safety.  Sorry Jonno he doesn’t have a clue

Well that cheered me up a lot ?

seriously though, what’s the point of talking long term vision when the first bad run means “sacked in the morning” long term plan my rrrse. ... it’s same old same old .. it’s a results game. 3 bad ones and you’re on shakey ground. 6 and your gone. Maybe that’s right. I dunno, just seems a bit tacky to me. 

11 minutes ago, jono said:

seriously though, what’s the point of talking long term vision...

Well what is the point? Maybe in the 'olden days' when it took some time to get a managers squad of choice. But Cocu has enough players of his own choice (or nearly) to show that he spends too much energy thinking about how to deal with the opposition rather than have them worry about us. He constantly tinkers. If I was a player I'd have no confidence in knowing I had the shirt because I'd put in a good game. And lots of other reasons that have been talked about for more than a few games. Does a leopard change its spots?

18 minutes ago, jono said:

In a balanced team and not carrying injuries Holmes would be a perfect forward thinking engine room CM but he has been off it and the balance isn’t working. Sibley is unfinished, a dream of a player if it all sets according to the drawings. trouble it’s all supposition in a team where 5 or 6 players in every game are underperforming 

Holmes gives the ball away constantly, has never been a goal threat. So, currently as a sub, he’s a poor one. Not saying Holmes hasn’t been decent (although over-rated by some) but he’s been poor all season. Sibley was good vs Forest for the last 15-20 and yet we’ve not seen him since. Odd. 

1 hour ago, hintonsboots said:

A manager who knows how to get out of the Championship would be a great starting point.

Dean Smith as soon as Villa give him the boot  ????

He got them up, only after spending a mega fortune, even compared with us, to get promoted. He then spent another £140M to keep them in the premier, thanks to a dodgy var ball over the line incident. He's followed this up by massive spending, second only to Lampard at Chelsea, for this season. He's got players worth well in excess of a  100M not getting in the team.

35 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Long meeting.....

Meeting was concluded earlier today. He subsequently took training and will be in charge on Saturday. 

I think it's more of a stay of execution than a vote of confidence and also reported he's unlikely to make it past the international break. 

1 hour ago, DavesaRam said:

There seemed to be quite a bit of flack for Josciak for trying to avoid a potentially broken ankle. HE had been on the end of at least 4 crunching tackles, and as ever the ref didn't clamp down on them. He also had a 20 yard running wrestling match with a QPR defender which the ref did give a free-kick for, but not the yellow card which should have been given. Josciak had just come back from another nasty challenge two matches ago. Rams TV thought that he should have taken the kick for the team, but given the treatment he had already received, I can't blame him for jumping clear. Apart from Marshall, he was the one player who looked worthy of his place, because he is able to take a man on and beat him, without running into blind alleys, and often his crosses cause trouble. All he needs is players of his quality around him. ...... one day, maybe?

Yeah, already teams are kicking lumps out of him, and the refs are just letting it happen.

3 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

It still feels too early on in a season to be changing manager, but we’ve been so utterly terrible that it’s incredibly difficult to see Cocu turning it around now. Whether he should be given a chance to at least try... I’m not sure. I don’t think he’ll be going anywhere until the takeover is complete mind.

So you mean he hasn't actually been trying...

53 minutes ago, jono said:

Well that cheered me up a lot ?

seriously though, what’s the point of talking long term vision when the first bad run means “sacked in the morning” long term plan my rrrse. ... it’s same old same old .. it’s a results game. 3 bad ones and you’re on shakey ground. 6 and your gone. Maybe that’s right. I dunno, just seems a bit tacky to me. 

I get it I really do but after last night I've gone from wanting him to stay to more I don't know if he can turn this around. In the previous games it wasn't going to plan but there was always something you could point to, a tweak here a different selection there. Last night was abject though and he made a few selection and tactical mistakes that he should have spotted based on previous experience with us. Not only did we stick with it he didn't react either.

QPR weren't a good side not by a long stretch and yet we looked content to give them a leg up. It looked like we had 3 way compromise between being a hard to beat championship team, a passing team and a team that tactically bends over backwards to fit Rooney in.

To be honest I hope for nothing more than for him to name a side sticking to his original convictions on Saturday and batter Barnsley but I just don't see it happening at this point.

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

I can’t see where Belick fits in? Whilst Ibe looks very overweight to me and has hardly played any football at all in recent seasons so he would struggle to give us much at all 

Will fit in well at the moment then.

1 hour ago, enachops said:

Holmes has been turd all season. Poor sub.

Not really sure where to start with this one.

5 hours ago, Arsene Titman said:

Don’t get me wrong, I really like Jozwiak as a player but isn’t he a bit of an on the field drama queen? Twice he’s been apparently seriously injured during games but miraculously recovers to play the next week. Maybe he’s a fantastic healer but, seeing him writhing about last night when the QPR player made no contact, I have my doubts

Ditto for Lawrence

4 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Nail & Head @BaaLocks. I don't doubt that Phillip is a nice man, with great dignity and a very strong football pedigree. However, the above encapsulates why Cocu and his coaching cabal are under severe pressure. It's not just that we aren't scoring goals either - we haven't scored any from open play, nor do we look like scoring anytime soon. I suspect there's quite a rift/divide between the various "talking heads" that make the decisions on tactics and selection/formation which is why we see too much variation and a stark absence of anything other than regular experimentation. Sometimes you have to get worse before you get better but there are no clear green shoots emerging - just a jumble of maybes. Leadership is about acting decisively, and looking decisive, and changing things when it's not working. None of these qualities have been much in evidence and when we have made progress we have then suddenly lurched backwards a few steps, implying that the small progress hasn't been fully grasped by those who matter. Can the situation be retrieved?

Actually it can but there would need to be a fundamental taking-stock, re-assessment and admission of who is responsible for taking things forward and how that would be achieved. Fundamentally though, I think there has always been a great mis-match between the qualities that we need in a head coach/manager and the ones that Phillip has on his CV. Football is a simple game but there are significant differences between Divisions in this Country, let alone between different countries. Events are probably now out of the current regime's power to influence. 

Cocu has tried to bring the PSV style of football to Derby. We will never be able to score enough goals on this slow style build up play. The Championship is totally different to the Dutch top division and the English Premier league. Danny Cowley on sky sports commented on the fact, we need to be quicker in the build ups in our attack. Cocu needs to change this in the next match, or we will be looking at another inept performance. We have the players to hurt most teams in the championship, but me must step up the pace in the opposition half to create more goals. I don't care if we ship in 2 or 3 goals, but score 4 or more I would be happy. Our current style will only deliver 1 goal on average in any game, it does'nt work in the toughest league in the world.

Archived