Cocu meeting the board today

Arsene Titman

30 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

It still feels too early on in a season to be changing manager, but we’ve been so utterly terrible that it’s incredibly difficult to see Cocu turning it around now.

We are in danger of having nothing to play for this season bar staying up if we don't get a new manager!

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Some really good points here and it's one thing I've wondered about since that meeting is do we have too many chiefs, too many competing voices and is Cocu being too defferential. We had a rough initial start yes but afterall it was only 3 games with a whole host of injuries. Did he try to compromise too quickly ? Surely he could have backed himself more after last season and his previous history. It's hard to know for certain without being in amongst it.

Can the situation be retrieved ? It depends, for Cocu to do it he needs to be bold and have the team batter Barnsley (if he's still in charge). If there any dissenting voices as to what he wants to do, boot them from the squad. The same is largely true for anyone following him, which is increasingly likely we need just to shake things up and kickstart the season.

I actually somewhat disagree here. His CV seemed close to a perfect fit. Title winner, reputation of bringing through academy talent, his PSV played good football (regardless of what other people want to claim) but had a pragmatic streak that would perhaps allow him to more readily hit the ground running.

Alas it looks like it wasn't to be. Shame really.

...but no experience of the Championship and its peculiar demands. He's far too democratic, cerebral and lacks the iron fist that you need to stamp an authority. I always find your posts lively and interesting @brady1993 so thanks for your views. 

4 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

We're basically in limbo until any takeover business is confirmed/signed off. The longer it lingers on the more we all suffer. The EFL have us at their mercy once again. 

The EFL have said they won’t stop the takeover 

5 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

...but no experience of the Championship and its peculiar demands. He's far too democratic, cerebral and lacks the iron fist that you need to stamp an authority. I always find your posts lively and interesting @brady1993 so thanks for your views. 

He listens to, and acts on, concerns expressed by the squad, is intelligent and doesn't act like a sergeant major preparing new recruits for a potential war. 

Our poor babies don't like it, why should they take responsibility for their performance's and actions, it's not their fault they've been left rudderless.

Until they get a Pearson in charge, when they go running to the owner complaining about the nasty new man in charge, and his unreasonable demands!

I know it's different personnel of course, but for some reason we always seem to end up with very hard to manage playing squads in this Mel Morris era.

2 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Our poor babies don't like it, why should they take responsibility for their performance's and actions, it's not their fault they've been left rudderless.

Not this old bananas again. I know lets get Pearson back! ?

7 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

(To start I appreciate the compliments)

To be honest I think experience of the championship is an overrated trait. Most of the managers who have a bunch of experience at this level haven't the ability to get you promoted and keep you there hence why they've managed 20 clubs at this level. 

As to your other points.... you might be right as much as I don't like admitting because they are traits I value in a person. 

Thing is he guided us through an inordinate amount of nonsense last year and I don't think that was a fluke. I do wonder how much this year it's a case of starting on the wrong foot and then a series of moments and mistakes spiralling from there. Like what happens if the Jozwiak goal counts against forest? Or Lawrence and Waghorn are fit to start the season ? Or Jozwiak and Te Wierik signed back in January like what was planned ? Or what if he still had Keogh?  This isn't me trying to make excuses more thinking out loud considering the fine margins and gathering of momentum thay accounts for so many results at this level.

54 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

However, the above encapsulates why Cocu and his coaching cabal are under severe pressure. It's not just that we aren't scoring goals either - we haven't scored any from open play, nor do we look like scoring anytime soon.

Only two teams have conceded more

Only one team has lost more games

Sheff Wed have been docked six points, lost four out of their last five games and are still only one point behind us

It actually doesn't really matter what you think of him, those stats plus the earlier ones are 'position untenable'

18 minutes ago, Curtains said:

You've just got to love the byline under this photo - from the DET website on a story about Derby County. And here was me thinking it was a picture of widebeest sweeping majestically across the Serengeti.

image.thumb.png.cb2d1a88f530bed20a378cdfd674f5a2.png

15 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

He listens to, and acts on, concerns expressed by the squad, is intelligent and doesn't act like a sergeant major preparing new recruits for a potential war. 

Until they get a Pearson in charge, when they go running to the owner complaining about the nasty new man in charge, and his unreasonable demands!

I know it's different personnel of course, but for some reason we always seem to end up with very hard to manage playing squads in this Mel Morris era.

Glad I am not alone in thinking the last paragraph.

10 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

If that is the case then any Derby manager’s position is inherently untenable @reverendo de duivel

Archived