Cocu meeting the board today

Arsene Titman

3 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

You’re possibly right - I suspect Mel had already got ideas about bringing Clement in as a Hollywood coup. 

I think that's been his undoing.

He brings in the Derby way, and various different appointments have paid lip service to that direction during the interview process, then acted differently once their feet are under the table.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

If Mel stays as “Consultant” he’ll probably recruit the next manager. Now, I greatly admire Mel and his many qualities. But, his recruitment record is a real Achilles heel:

1. Clement. Inherited a great squad. Turned quality football into a bore fest.

2. Mac2 - pulled the trigger too soon.

3. Pearson - words fail me.

4. Rowett - sold the family silver for magic beans. Then scarpered.

5. Lampard - Used us to pass his driving test then hopped into his dream car.

6. Cocu - did he check out what PSV FANS say? 
So maybe we need a total change of methodology when appointing the next chap. 

Didn't Rush select/recommend Clement and Pearson?

1 minute ago, sage said:

Didn't Rush select/recommend Clement and Pearson?

You could be right @sage- Christ you must get something right at some time ? - but Clement has the ring of a Mel type appointment. Rush though did describe the signing of Adam Smith after we sold Brayford to Cardiff as “an internationally decorated full back” ?

3 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

You could be right @sage- Christ you must get something right at some time ? - but Clement has the ring of a Mel type appointment. Rush though did describe the signing of Adam Smith after we sold Brayford to Cardiff as “an internationally decorated full back” ?

In fairness, Smith has had a far better career than I thought possible!

Didn't I read a week or so ago Mel was tightening the reigns and they were meeting most mornings now where he wanted to know Cocu's game plans, training schedules and so on. 

I imagine Phil would have been very worried about going in this morning, but realistically Mel isn't going to pull the trigger by his own volition. Once the new owners come in they rightfully should get to decide on the post. 

Now to be honest I can see a conversation between Mel and Shakey where the figures are fluctuating between the club costing £57m with Cocu in charge and £60m without him, due to sacking costs.

I imagine PR will also play a part in that on all 3 fronts. Cocu's rep is damaged but to go as 'a sustainability measure in a takeover' looks better for him. Mel will want to exit in the right way, just as Shakey will want to start in the right way. 

A spin on it at the moment is I can't see Rooney being appointed as anything other than caretaker, aided by Bowyer and/or Rosey. 

If he gets results between now and January maybe he gets it, but I don't think they'll accept mrdiocrity. Anything less than a very good run and I can see a marquee appointment now we have a bit more room to do so. 

I worry that would take us toward Gerrard (who I doubt would take it), Howe or a foreigner with a reasonable reputation - trying to get our own Bielsa.

Hopefully, whoever it is, is a better match for this division, several people rightly shouted up when we appointed Cocu that his style wasn't suitable and they weren't sure he could adapt. 

I see David Wagner has left Schalke (albeit sacked for a very bad run), maybe someone like him or Jokanovic would fit the bill. Definitely more interesting names than Pardew, Pulis, Hughes and managers of that ilk anyway. 

17 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

By that he meant he helped paint his Dad's flat in Torreleminos.

6 hours ago, Ramarena said:

Not sure how much these people are in the know but.........Looking at Mels body language last night told you all you needed to know. I’d be surprised if there wasn’t a “showdown meeting”

I wonder if he’ll sack himself and give us the ground back. 

18 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

A manager who knows how to get out of the Championship would be a great starting point.

Dean Smith as soon as Villa give him the boot  ????

Now, my opinion only,  but it’s this that I don’t agree with and also @Mostyn6 who said about Jim Smith (who was an exception and it worked as he had a great team around him, look what happened when Mac left). You go down the route of people who “know how to get out of this division” and you generally end up with direct football that may get you promoted but you’re straight back down. They’re the old school, one trick pony, “get stuck in” managers that offer nothing more progressive than that. That’s doing them a disservice as they’re obviously good at that and get results and it has its merits and it gets you the promotion and the money but it’s limited success, it’s nothing to build on.

giving managers who don’t have a record of promotion is hit and miss but I would much prefer a punt on someone who may get us up and take us forward rather than maybe get us up and the only thing we then challenge for is our own dismal points recording in the Prem. 

There seemed to be quite a bit of flack for Josciak for trying to avoid a potentially broken ankle. HE had been on the end of at least 4 crunching tackles, and as ever the ref didn't clamp down on them. He also had a 20 yard running wrestling match with a QPR defender which the ref did give a free-kick for, but not the yellow card which should have been given. Josciak had just come back from another nasty challenge two matches ago. Rams TV thought that he should have taken the kick for the team, but given the treatment he had already received, I can't blame him for jumping clear. Apart from Marshall, he was the one player who looked worthy of his place, because he is able to take a man on and beat him, without running into blind alleys, and often his crosses cause trouble. All he needs is players of his quality around him. ...... one day, maybe?

2 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Who would you've started Bryson over - Hendrick or Hughes? Both had really good games in the Brighton 4-1 win so I wasn't surprised to see him not start, albeit in hindsight we could've put him in over Hendrick. 

Over Hendrick for the final but you are correct we were wonderful at home to Brighton but we might also have been if Bryson wasn’t injured 

59 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

Yes he hasn't had Bielik and Ibe, but the squad he has had is more than capable of top 6

I can’t see where Belick fits in? Whilst Ibe looks very overweight to me and has hardly played any football at all in recent seasons so he would struggle to give us much at all 

The one thing that does concern me more than most others is Cocu’s constant comments on picking a team to stop the opposition - now against a really good side fair enough but when you are at home to a very average QPR that should be very low in my priorities 

I am feeling lost. I so so want Cocu, more than any recent manager to succeed. I still maintain he needs another 8-12 weeks before an axe falls. We talk about long term plans, stability, a vision, terms of reference but it’s shallow talk without sincerity

In the end though the crowd will chase him out. Not without reason but for me it’s too soon if the promises and statements from on high have any integrity. Still,  I think he will go ... unless we destroy Barnsley .. that is what’s needed to show there is a path. I’ll be sad if he goes, I like him, but I’ll be behind whoever is next if it comes to it. I’ll also understand every voice that says .. hey, not good enough; because it isn’t. 

I have some doubts about some players fitness and our coaching of fitness. We seem to be able to play 45 mins with ease but I haven’t seen a full 90 mins of energy for a long while .. why? 

17 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

There seemed to be quite a bit of flack for Josciak for trying to avoid a potentially broken ankle. HE had been on the end of at least 4 crunching tackles, and as ever the ref didn't clamp down on them. He also had a 20 yard running wrestling match with a QPR defender which the ref did give a free-kick for, but not the yellow card which should have been given. Josciak had just come back from another nasty challenge two matches ago. Rams TV thought that he should have taken the kick for the team, but given the treatment he had already received, I can't blame him for jumping clear. Apart from Marshall, he was the one player who looked worthy of his place, because he is able to take a man on and beat him, without running into blind alleys, and often his crosses cause trouble. All he needs is players of his quality around him. ...... one day, maybe?

I like Jozwiak - but I disagree with the first part of your statement. He’s got to do better for the goal. It was an average ball to him, but he could have done what Knight does so well, shield with his body and wait for the nudge. He bottled it. Definitely not a foul. Although Holmes was just as bad (again) prior to this.

Why Cocu persists with Holmes I’ll never know. He’s been terrible this season - Sibley over Holmes every time. Sibley had a decent influence vs Forest as a sub. Holmes has been turd all season. Poor sub.

6 minutes ago, jono said:

I am feeling lost. I so so want Cocu, more than any recent manager to succeed. I still maintain he needs another 8-12 weeks before an axe falls. We talk about long term plans, stability, a vision, terms of reference but it’s shallow talk without sincerity

In the end though the crowd will chase him out. Not without reason but for me it’s too soon if the promises and statements from on high have any integrity. Still,  I think he will go ... unless we destroy Barnsley .. that is what’s needed to show there is a path. I’ll be sad if he goes, I like him, but I’ll be behind whoever is next if it comes to it. I’ll also understand every voice that says .. hey, not good enough; because it isn’t. 

I have some doubts about some players fitness and our coaching of fitness. We seem to be able to play 45 mins with ease but I haven’t seen a full 90 mins of energy for a long while .. why? 

There is no crowd to chase him out only the owner.  Another 2 or 3 months of this rubbish, thank god we won’t have to see how wrong you are.  There is nothing to indicate this will change nothing at all.  By January we will be bottom and a least 6 points from safety.  Sorry Jonno he doesn’t have a clue

6 minutes ago, enachops said:

I like Jozwiak - but I disagree with the first part of your statement. He’s got to do better for the goal. It was an average ball to him, but he could have done what Knight does so well, shield with his body and wait for the nudge. He bottled it. Definitely not a foul. Although Holmes was just as bad (again) prior to this.

Why Cocu persists with Holmes I’ll never know. He’s been terrible this season - Sibley over Holmes every time. Sibley had a decent influence vs Forest as a sub. Holmes has been turd all season. Poor sub.

In a balanced team and not carrying injuries Holmes would be a perfect forward thinking engine room CM but he has been off it and the balance isn’t working. Sibley is unfinished, a dream of a player if it all sets according to the drawings. trouble it’s all supposition in a team where 5 or 6 players in every game are underperforming 

Archived