Cocu meeting the board today

Arsene Titman

15 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I think it's because of the endless excuses some give for our current predicament......all of the criticism of him would have gone away with good results and certainly by not languishing at the bottom of the table.

It's defending the indefensible.

As always,I admire your loyalty but it's time to take a more realistic view of our situation.

Ah the good old 'label every valid reason and mitigating circumstance as an excuse' line. Also dead boring and another reason why it's hardly worth trying to debate anything anymore.

My view of the situation is perfectly realistic, thanks, I just don't feel the need to pile on the negativity, which somehow now gets turned around as a slight on my judgement.

Using the phrase "defending the indefensible" is absolute crap, it's turning a poor managerial record into something far bigger than it actually is. It's an appointment which hasn't worked out, not a criminal or immoral act!

I thought I'd made it clear that I can't see a way for Cocu to stay on now, it doesn't alter my opinion on the attitude and behaviour of some supporters though.

I'll continue to look for logic in decisions made and try to make a fair assessment without the drama and confirmation bias for whoever takes charge next, even if they too suffer from poor results

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

With the takeover being approved the Board has a duty of care to its employees to keep them appraised of the situation. As Head of the playing side you'd expect the Board to be briefing Cocu about what's happening.

The takeover likely buys Cocu some time to turn things around. If the price has been formalized then Mel isn't going to spunk away his dosh on a multi-million pound compensation package. Also, I think Cocu is well liked at Derby and everyone obviously wants him to succeed, so the chance to give him more time while the takeover goes through will be welcomed.

Agenda Item One

- Mr Cocu, we are being acquired by the Sheikh, we have a duty of care to inform you of a substantial change in our organisation.

Agenda Item Two

- Mr Cocu, You're sacked.

2 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I think it's unfair to connect Holmes to the goal not saying it wasn't an error but we'd recovered from that attack and I think had little bearing on the goal. Shinnie had won the ball back and was acres of space to do what he wanted. Shinnie giving a hospital pass is the first mistake.

We could spend hours (and probably have!) discussing their goal but the brutal fact is the Rams were too clueless to put away at least two clear cut chances and to ignore several inspired saves by the QPR goalie.

And all this in a crushingly, mind- numbing, boring demonstration of what was loosely described as a game of football!

14 minutes ago, Spanish said:

First error was bringing him on

I said in the last two match threads when he came on I couldn’t understand why we are bringing on a player who is most out of form probably in the whole squad first!

Im not blaming Holmes for the goal but there were a lot of mistakes in the lead up to the goal and the team need to take responsibility for conceding such soft goals!

This was hidden in the EFL confirmation story:

Derby's players do not expect the Dutchman to survive the forthcoming international break, although he took charge of training following talks with Morris earlier on Thursday and is expected to take charge of Saturday's Championship game against Barnsley.

I'm not entirely sure which Derby players they're talking to (or at least inferring from) but it rubs me up the wrong way. 

56 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

It was pure simulation jumping up out of the way then feigning injury something he's probably dined out on in the Polish league and international matches. 

Needs to learn quickly that the Championship is far more robust then what he's been used to and the standard of refereeing is far more variable too.

Jonny Russell’s mashing lad basically 

Just now, Brummie Steve said:

We could spend hours (and probably have!) discussing their goal but the brutal fact is the Rams were too clueless to put away at least two clear cut chances and to ignore several inspired saves by the QPR goalie.

And all this in a crushingly, mind- numbing, boring demonstration of what was loosely described as a game of football!

Oh absolutely. We lost for a bunch of reasons and deserved to lose at that.

1 minute ago, Ambitious said:

I'm not entirely sure which Derby players they're talking to (or at least inferring from) but it rubs me up the wrong way. 

I think we all know that if the players want to get a something off their chests, they simply tell Barry, who is kind enough to pass it on to us. That way, Cocu’s feelings don’t get hurt.

Nobody tell him!

7 minutes ago, Sir Ramalot said:

Bang on..... the poster was correct - Holmes lost the ball for the third time in quick succession and it developed from there..... sums us up or should I say down?

It’s the same every time he weakens us no end - doesn’t mark and fouls a heck of a lot 

about two good games a season we get out of him 

3 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Makes you wonder if a few of them were already expecting it last night.

7 minutes ago, Duracell said:

I think we all know that if the players want to get a something off their chests, they simply tell Barry, who is kind enough to pass it on to us. That way, Cocu’s feelings don’t get hurt.

Nobody tell him!

Famous Barrys? Sheen? McGuigan? Davies.....

Famous Curtis'? Mayfield? Pritchard? Davies.....

Just sayin'

Just now, BaaLocks said:

TBF, he got Clint Hill sent off when he got tackled - look where that got us in the end.....

It wasn’t Clint hill - if the twerp Mac hadn’t then substituted him off soon after he may well have gone through them on that side instead we lost our directness that day at Wembley - I cant forgive Mac that day for not starting Bryson or even bringing on Bamford against 10 men when we only needed to score one goal until we were behind.  

9 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Makes you wonder if a few of them were already expecting it last night.

Like a relationship gone wrong. You hold on hope, but the one you care about has already told their friends it will be over. It is a horrible situation.

48 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Genuinely, I love the Cocu model in every single aspect except that he seems unable to win football matches.

No team in the division has scored less goals

No other team in the division has failed to win any of their last five games

No other team in the division has won less games

Last night was the final straw for me, I fear that it was also for people whose opinions are a lot more valued than mine

Nail & Head @BaaLocks. I don't doubt that Phillip is a nice man, with great dignity and a very strong football pedigree. However, the above encapsulates why Cocu and his coaching cabal are under severe pressure. It's not just that we aren't scoring goals either - we haven't scored any from open play, nor do we look like scoring anytime soon. I suspect there's quite a rift/divide between the various "talking heads" that make the decisions on tactics and selection/formation which is why we see too much variation and a stark absence of anything other than regular experimentation. Sometimes you have to get worse before you get better but there are no clear green shoots emerging - just a jumble of maybes. Leadership is about acting decisively, and looking decisive, and changing things when it's not working. None of these qualities have been much in evidence and when we have made progress we have then suddenly lurched backwards a few steps, implying that the small progress hasn't been fully grasped by those who matter. Can the situation be retrieved?

Actually it can but there would need to be a fundamental taking-stock, re-assessment and admission of who is responsible for taking things forward and how that would be achieved. Fundamentally though, I think there has always been a great mis-match between the qualities that we need in a head coach/manager and the ones that Phillip has on his CV. Football is a simple game but there are significant differences between Divisions in this Country, let alone between different countries. Events are probably now out of the current regime's power to influence. 

1 minute ago, Sparkle said:

It wasn’t Clint hill - if the twerp Mac hadn’t then substituted him off soon after he may well have gone through them on that side instead we lost our directness that day at Wembley - I cant forgive Mac that day for not starting Bryson or even bringing on Bamford against 10 men when we only needed to score one goal until we were behind.  

Who would you've started Bryson over - Hendrick or Hughes? Both had really good games in the Brighton 4-1 win so I wasn't surprised to see him not start, albeit in hindsight we could've put him in over Hendrick. 

1 minute ago, Ambitious said:

Who would you've started Bryson over - Hendrick or Hughes? Both had really good games in the Brighton 4-1 win so I wasn't surprised to see him not start, albeit in hindsight we could've put him in over Hendrick. 

He did still get us there though,whilst playing the most memorable and good to watch football for years!

It still feels too early on in a season to be changing manager, but we’ve been so utterly terrible that it’s incredibly difficult to see Cocu turning it around now. Whether he should be given a chance to at least try... I’m not sure. I don’t think he’ll be going anywhere until the takeover is complete mind.

1 minute ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

He did still get us there though,whilst playing the most memorable and good to watch football for years!

Best Derby team I can remember watching. I'd have him back in a heartbeat, personally I'm not even sure his second spell was even bad. He took a team nearing the bottom into the top 6 (and out of it again). 

I saw a sporadic link to Nigel Clough today (although implied that he rejected us for Mansfield Town) so nothing would surprise me. 

Archived