Cocu meeting the board today

Arsene Titman

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

It still feels too early on in a season to be changing manager, but we’ve been so utterly terrible that it’s incredibly difficult to see Cocu turning it around now. Whether he should be given a chance to at least try... I’m not sure. I don’t think he’ll be going anywhere until the takeover is complete mind.

We're almost a quarter of the way through the season.

Just now, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I hate to say it, but I think I edged into the Cocu out camp last night. As did many, from what I've seen.

I also hate to say it but it’s not working for him anymore for whatever reason. 

Im afraid he has to leave IMO sorry 

6 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Best Derby team I can remember watching. I'd have him back in a heartbeat, personally I'm not even sure his second spell was even bad. He took a team nearing the bottom into the top 6 (and out of it again). 

I saw a sporadic link to Nigel Clough today (although implied that he rejected us for Mansfield Town) so nothing would surprise me. 

Chris Martin - Player Manager - 3 year contract perhaps 

8 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

It still feels too early on in a season to be changing manager, but we’ve been so utterly terrible that it’s incredibly difficult to see Cocu turning it around now. Whether he should be given a chance to at least try... I’m not sure. I don’t think he’ll be going anywhere until the takeover is complete mind.

I do agree but after last night's performance, it's getting to the point where we need a completely fresh approach just to get things kickstarted.

2 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I hate to say it, but I think I edged into the Cocu out camp last night. As did many, from what I've seen.

Yep me too. I want him to succeed & I keep expecting something to happen each game, but it hasn’t. 

4 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Yeah, I’m feeling a bit disloyal because I like him as a bloke and I wanted him to be successful but I can’t deny it’s just not happening for him here and you have to draw a line somewhere.

I fear my personal line is anything less than a win against Barnsley and it will be a reluctant adios. ☹️

2 hours ago, Rab a dab doo said:

If that's so its a shame as at one point last season there were promising signs when we pushing for the top 6 playing well and blooding our own home grown young talent.

Agreed, and that’s what makes it so much harder to stomach now. Where did that promise go because at the moment we’re going backwards in terms of performance and I, for one, can’t see him turning it round. 

3 hours ago, Hathersage Ram said:

The really galling aspect of all this, is that assuming he is sacked. His inept performance results in him walking away with a substantial settlement!

Or do all the board Cocu aficionados believe that as he is such a great/nice/classy guy he will forgo the settlement

Just wondering

This is one thing that has always baffled me about football managers.

It almost pays better to be terrible at your job.

16 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I don't doubt that Phillip is a nice man, with great dignity and a very strong football pedigree. However, the above encapsulates why Cocu and his coaching cabal are under severe pressure. It's not just that we aren't scoring goals either - we haven't scored any from open play, nor do we look like scoring anytime soon. I suspect there's quite a rift/divide between the various "talking heads" that make the decisions on tactics and selection/formation which is why we see too much variation and a stark absence of anything other than regular experimentation. Sometimes you have to get worse before you get better but there are no clear green shoots emerging - just a jumble of maybes. Leadership is about acting decisively, and looking decisive, and changing things when it's not working. None of these qualities have been much in evidence and when we have made progress we have then suddenly lurched backwards a few steps, implying that the small progress hasn't been fully grasped by those who matter. Can the situation be retrieved?

Some really good points here and it's one thing I've wondered about since that meeting is do we have too many chiefs, too many competing voices and is Cocu being too defferential. We had a rough initial start yes but afterall it was only 3 games with a whole host of injuries. Did he try to compromise too quickly ? Surely he could have backed himself more after last season and his previous history. It's hard to know for certain without being in amongst it.

Can the situation be retrieved ? It depends, for Cocu to do it he needs to be bold and have the team batter Barnsley (if he's still in charge). If there any dissenting voices as to what he wants to do, boot them from the squad. The same is largely true for anyone following him, which is increasingly likely we need just to shake things up and kickstart the season.

25 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Fundamentally though, I think there has always been a great mis-match between the qualities that we need in a head coach/manager and the ones that Phillip has on his CV. Football is a simple game but there are significant differences between Divisions in this Country, let alone between different countries.

I actually somewhat disagree here. His CV seemed close to a perfect fit. Title winner, reputation of bringing through academy talent, his PSV played good football (regardless of what other people want to claim) but had a pragmatic streak that would perhaps allow him to more readily hit the ground running.

Alas it looks like it wasn't to be. Shame really.

1 hour ago, Coconut said:

..because there was a demand to switch to a more solid "suited to The Championship" style, which meant  more experienced players and stronger communication on the pitch. Shinnie in midfield over Bird or Sibley, Waghorn, Lawrence & Holmes over Whittaker. Just another thing people actually wanted to happen and praised the idea of, but seeing that it hasn't achieved what they thought it would now choose as a reason for further criticism.

I would say you play your best team based upon performances if the players are good enough they should be playing.

Speaks volumes when some players get picked based upon their previous performance.

3 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

Any new owner we get will want to either stick with Cocu or get a new manager asap one way or another. 

Need some stability going into January otherwise we risk becoming like forest with a squad big enough to fill a stadium. 

Sorry the first thing the new owners should do is sack Cocu straight away and get a manager who can at least get the team to play in a more positive way. 

Archived