Abu Derby County

tinman

Even IF the deal goes through - which feels a bit like waiting for the taxi man who promised he'd come pick you up next at 3am on holiday - this is all still very concerning. 

Clearly Mel has got tired of waiting for the right owner to come along and just wants rid. And thats no slight on him, it his money. But this new regime (if they're ever in place) does not look like they're going to be sensible. 

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, RamsFan10 said:

Even IF the deal goes through - which feels a bit like waiting for the taxi man who promised he'd come pick you up next at 3am on holiday - this is all still very concerning. 

Clearly Mel has got tired of waiting for the right owner to come along and just wants rid. And thats no slight on him, it his money. But this new regime (if they're ever in place) does not look like they're going to be sensible. 

Who knows? 

Maybe they think every pound going to Mel is a pound they can't spend on the club?

Unlikely I know.

24 minutes ago, sage said:

I really do think both stories, a loan and another interested party, are Mel forcing the Sheikhs hand.

I thought the same thing about the admin. Mel has been one to play mind games before so it wouldn’t surprise me.

the cynic in me thought (and correct me if I’m wrong please) that maybe the sheikh wants to Force us into admin to buy us on the cheap. I wouldn’t have usually said this but after what happened at Wigan nothing would surprise me.

If this Sheikh is a dodgy bloke then I think the EFL hierarchy needs sacking. They have let so many bad apples through the net.

I think we can all share the sentiment of that we are worried about the club. Hopefully the lads aren’t too disheartened by the wages not being paid and play for the fans on the weekend. With people like Byrne and Marshall in the squad who have been in a very similar situation last season and Rooney who seems to be somewhat of an inspiration to these players, they can get playing and give us something to smile about. 

Stay safe out there everyone and let’s pray we have some good news come the morning. 

COYR.

I am struggling to see a positive resolution here.

If the takeover gets completed, the new ownership group will already be on the back foot, needing to regain the trust and confidence of the fans, the players and the staff and to repair the discord recent events will have caused, and all that with a race against time given the transfer window closes in two and a half weeks and we are fighting for our future in this division.

So how clear and effective will our strategic decision making and planning be? It is not hard to imagine a scenario where the new owners start to over promise and over extend themselves like a husband in hot water with his wife.

If the takeover doesn’t get completed, we’re basically on life support and how long that lasts is completely dependent on Mel and his creditors’ resolve not to pull the plug. Again a volatile situation and one that wouldn’t seem conducive to delivering a performing team on the pitch, especially if administration and a fire sale of players becomes a reality.

I actually feel for Rooney and the players. They probably just want to focus on the football and it seems the uncertainty over the ownership of the club may see their efforts to keep the club in this division become absolutely futile. 

If you consider the team’s performances, results, morale and team spirit to have been trending upwards in recent weeks, all of that is now at risk of being undermined. 

Not getting paid and not having clarity over the future of the club are things that will only serve to demoralise, unsettle and fracture a group of players - precisely the last thing you need when you are fighting relegation.

Forgive me if that’s a bleak reading of the situation, but I can only call it as I see it. Mel and Pearce have been walking that financial tightrope for years now and the risk of falling was always present.

14 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

If the takeover gets completed, the new ownership group will already be on the back foot, needing to regain the trust and confidence of the fans, the players and the staff and to repair the discord recent events will have caused, and all that with a race against time given the transfer window closes in two and a half weeks and we are fighting for our future in this division.

I think people would just be happy to see the takeover get completed to be honest. Even if we don't bring any players in, I'm confident we'll have enough to stay up.

14 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

I think people would just be happy to see the takeover get completed to be honest. Even if we don't bring any players in, I'm confident we'll have enough to stay up.

I did consider that maybe we’ll see a response from the players similar to what happened at Wigan in the second half of last season.

The major difference being that the Wigan players were fuelled by the injustice of it all, whereas our situation is very much self inflicted - poor running of the club, poor managers, underperforming players. So I am not sure the players will have that same fire.

It’s a really worrying situation. As fans, we just want the club to be in safe hands. Who is convinced Mel or BZG can provide that? 

4 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Interesting about Leicester. Maybe covid has screwed up their cashflows - and maybe many clubs are having to do this sort of thing just now

Wonder whether the Australian bank has got a branch in Thailand - and whether it got a guarantee from the Thai owner. 

Macquarie Bank, read a article about 12 months ago about there loans to premier sides. Found it. This was before COVID-19 as well.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/feb/11/premier-league-clubs-australian-bank-macquarie-loans-tv-earnings

MSD don't need to buy us. If we default or even hold a meeting about insolvency, all of Mel's footballing assets, including the stadium become theirs. It is going to get complicated as they finance Sunderland and Burnley, so there's going to be a conflict of interest problem. They also won't have passed the EFL ownership test, whilst already being the owner.

My guess is that they will provide funds to stabilise the club and set about selling us on once Covid is no longer strangling us. It will be a less complicated sale as the club will own the stadium and have no external debt. Effectively, MSD will have bought the whole club for the price of the loans - maybe £30m?, so they could inject £10m and still make a healthy return by selling for £50m.

Obviously that's highly conjectural, but I'm sure that MSD will be they key player over the next few days.

4 hours ago, Jourdan said:

I did consider that maybe we’ll see a response from the players similar to what happened at Wigan in the second half of last season.

The major difference being that the Wigan players were fuelled by the injustice of it all, whereas our situation is very much self inflicted - poor running of the club, poor managers, underperforming players. So I am not sure the players will have that same fire.

It’s a really worrying situation. As fans, we just want the club to be in safe hands. Who is convinced Mel or BZG can provide that? 

Wigan’s good run happened before they went tits up

8 hours ago, DCFC27 said:

Let’s say Tesco want to buy Asda, they agree a price but they haven’t bought it yet.  Who pays Asda’s staff in the meantime?

Or 

you sell your house today but you haven’t yet exchanged contracts or completed, who pays the utilities council tax and current mortgage? 

Or... I could go on but I think you get the point now. 

The case is, it’s Mel’s responsibility to pay the players, staff and Lecky bill until the money hits his account. Not let’s not pay them incase the sale goes through “imminently”

It is indefensible now. I could understand if it was a few days, but when he realised they haven’t bought the club yet it should have been paid. 

You’re missing the point (or don’t understand) that it’s not Mel’s responsibility to pay the wages - it’s the club that is responsible (the owner and the club are separate entities). 

Mel has been putting his own money in in order to keep the club afloat but with the takeover being delayed, Mel would be foolish to keep putting money in with almost no chance of getting it repaid (it would also take any pressure off the potential owners to complete the deal).

However much you dislike Mel (and we all agree he’s made some huge mistakes during his tenure), it’s only his personal money being put into the club that has kept us afloat over the past couple of seasons. He’s now got to the point where he doesn’t want to/can’t keep doing that and so is selling up. The club is now (allegedly) taking a bridging loan to cover the wages - the alternative is most certainly administration as it’s still spending way more than it earns....

1 hour ago, CornwallRam said:

MSD don't need to buy us. If we default or even hold a meeting about insolvency, all of Mel's footballing assets, including the stadium become theirs. It is going to get complicated as they finance Sunderland and Burnley, so there's going to be a conflict of interest problem. They also won't have passed the EFL ownership test, whilst already being the owner.

My guess is that they will provide funds to stabilise the club and set about selling us on once Covid is no longer strangling us. It will be a less complicated sale as the club will own the stadium and have no external debt. Effectively, MSD will have bought the whole club for the price of the loans - maybe £30m?, so they could inject £10m and still make a healthy return by selling for £50m.

Obviously that's highly conjectural, but I'm sure that MSD will be they key player over the next few days.

Under their loan deal I don’t think MSD gets to buy the club for 30m. I think they have to pay market value (not that that’s easy to quantify these days)

Okay, this whole thing is a mess and needs to be sorted one way or another to move forward, but am I reading it wrong that the club cannot afford to pay what’s owed from December, but at no point says that they cannot pay January’s wages? Just thinking possibly Mel can sort out this month’s but because he was expecting the sheik to be funding the club from December, so nothing was put in place to cover the eventuality of the money not forthcoming in time. 

Archived