Abu Derby County

tinman

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Almost certainly not the case - Mel had agreed a price with the Sheikh and expected the money through in the run up to Christmas with the Sheikh taking over responsibility for paying the salaries. He’s not going to shell out money to cover the wages with no guarantee that he’d be reimbursed on top of the original sale price.  
The underlying issue with the wages is that the funds haven’t arrived and the sale hasn’t been completed, so the club is effectively unable to pay due to cash flow without external funding - hence the mention of an additional loan which would then be repayable by the owners of the club - whether that ends up being the Sheikh, Mel or someone else.....

Let’s say Tesco want to buy Asda, they agree a price but they haven’t bought it yet.  Who pays Asda’s staff in the meantime?

Or 

you sell your house today but you haven’t yet exchanged contracts or completed, who pays the utilities council tax and current mortgage? 

Or... I could go on but I think you get the point now. 

The case is, it’s Mel’s responsibility to pay the players, staff and Lecky bill until the money hits his account. Not let’s not pay them incase the sale goes through “imminently”

It is indefensible now. I could understand if it was a few days, but when he realised they haven’t bought the club yet it should have been paid. 

5 minutes ago, Charlie George said:

Couple of journo's sayinh there's another name in the frame. Nixon saying something along the lines of an about turn.

Hasn't Sam Rush teamed up with Andy Appleby ?

MSD holding according to Nixon want it I think 

13 minutes ago, Coconut said:

How though? They say they've already sent the funds, they can't send another payment over (certainly not a multi million pound one which wouldn't arrive for another week anyway) as that would prove that they lied about the first payment!

That was my point earlier, the only thing left for anyone to do at this point is sit and wait for the money to arrive - what further action is there to be put in motion by us putting pressure on them?

I really don’t think they sent it. 

12 minutes ago, Charlie George said:

Couple of journo's sayinh there's another name in the frame. Nixon saying something along the lines of an about turn.

Hasn't Sam Rush teamed up with Andy Appleby ?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-8281299/Dennis-Bergkamp-leading-consortium-buy-Premier-League-club.html

"Dennis Bergkamp is at the head of a consortium of footballing greats which aims to buy a Premier League club, according to The Mirror. 

Along with the likes of Dirk Kuyt, Phillip Cocu, Ronald Koeman, and Henrik Larsson, they hope a club will become available in the next few months due to the financial strain of the coronavirus pandemic. 

Dutch agent Rob Jansen, an executive at the £3.2billion Wasserman Media Group, is in charge of the business side of their ambitions, and says they are 'in the waiting room.'"

Also, yes he has:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11696/12066095/Derby-county-duo-andy-appleby-and-sam-rush-reunite-as-gsw-purchase-366-group

7 minutes ago, Topram said:

MSD holding according to Nixon want it I think 

So,basically Sam rush buys back into the club,Mel clears off,Rooney clears off and we are left with Mac back as manager doing it for free for the love of the club.

Together again,Sam and Mac turn the club around and we are promoted next season using a squad entirely made up of the academy and kazim richards.

duck,I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't happen,everything ducking else has.

Just gets more and more grim this. Obviously expecting there to be a fire sale, but it hits home when you see it written down that we’re making the Crown Jewel’s in Sibley and Knight available for transfer. Going to be devastating to lose them two, especially at the dirt cheap prices we will probably end up selling them for given our situation. Still, we need to raise money somehow, and quick. Otherwise we will very quickly see all players and staff leave because they’ve not been paid, and we’ll end up with a points deduction to boot. That’s not even to mention further deductions from the inevitable administration. 

Mel Morris has brought this club to its knees, this is the worst situation we’ve been in for many a year. Right now, we look pretty ducked, I just hope some other buyer swoops in quickly to save us, before things get really messy...

25 minutes ago, DCFC27 said:

Let’s say Tesco want to buy Asda, they agree a price but they haven’t bought it yet.  Who pays Asda’s staff in the meantime?

Or 

you sell your house today but you haven’t yet exchanged contracts or completed, who pays the utilities council tax and current mortgage? 

Or... I could go on but I think you get the point now. 

The case is, it’s Mel’s responsibility to pay the players, staff and Lecky bill until the money hits his account. Not let’s not pay them incase the sale goes through “imminently”

It is indefensible now. I could understand if it was a few days, but when he realised they haven’t bought the club yet it should have been paid. 

But an owner isn’t liable for going into his own pocket to pay the debts a club has.

Mel isn’t liable, Derby County are, but if the club doesn’t have any cash it can’t pay. However that only ends up in either 1) club takes out loans (but right now why would you lend to a club that has lost money every year for god knows how long, 2) you sell the club if there is a buyer and we don’t have a legitimate buyer right now, 3) The owner invests more private equity which it doesn’t appear he wants to do possibly because he’s still living in hope of number two happening or 4) We go into administration.

Now what you’re asking for is number three, but he’s not legally required to do that. It’s almost the given expectation of owning a football club together with the years of bad fiscal management to where we are now. 

Including the stadium Id wager he’s put £150m into Derby so our viewpoint seems to be - what’s a few million more....

Selfishly I hope he does. I don’t want the Sheikhs, I don’t trust them as they’ve obviously misled MM already. So lies are told before the transfer of ownership has even taken place. Then another buyer comes out of the woodwork somewhere who genuinely wants to buy a club but in Covid world, right now, why the hell would anyone want to buy a football club?

Without any itk whatsoever my take on all this is that Mel genuinely thought the deal was done and the money was going through as promised.

He will be gutted as any of us that its not happened and will be doing everything in his power to sort the situation out.

I cannot envisage him wanting to be responsible for the club going under. Lets not burn the bloke until we know the facts.

He grew up in Littleover, he stood on the Popside, there's no way he wants to be remembered as the man who took DCFC down.

Archived