Abu Derby County

tinman

The other day I posted that if the takeover doesn’t go through I’m not leaping to the conclusion that Mel will plunge us into administration!! Well...

It’s not happened yet but there is no doubting this is worrying. How worrying again no one knows but we’re going to find out soon enough.

This could be a power play to push the deal through and this will go away, but would leave us with serious questions about the new owners. For all everyone has said about these owners they never got to the stage where they had a deal legally agreed with Newcastle. Everything we’ve read about Middle Eastern business and people who are far more qualified about that part of the world is they care about reputation, and as such any proposal to engage would have to have the blessing of the UAE ruling family/government. It’s looking increasingly unlikely but it could still happen.

Assuming it doesn’t, it’s over to Mel, what’s his position, does he not have enough free cash available or can’t get it fast enough, then it’s another loan from MSD to get us through if he can get it. We stay out of admin but no incomings, we may sell some players still, but we still have a chance of survival.

If Mel can’t get another loan and can’t or won’t stump up the cash himself then it’s administration. Points deduction, certain relegation. Fire sale of players unless we can get a buyer. If we get a buyer there’s a  chance can potentially sell players for some sort of value, regroup and rebuild for a League 1 promotion push with hungry experienced lower league players and youth. 

If we can’t get a buyer, it will drag on into next season like Wigan under administrators and we could drop further into League 2 (for the first time in our history), If still no buyer then eventually it could be AFC Derby in the Conference North. 

All of these scenarios are possible, but we’ve been here before in 1984 and in 2003. We went down to equivalent of league 1 for 2 seasons in 1984, we survived In the championship in 2003 and under the three amigos. Clubs with our stature that have fallen on hard times have bounced back (Leeds, Coventry, Portsmouth, Boro) 

Whatever happens we will bounce back. We’ve been in the top 2 divisions for all but 4 years in our 136 year history. But what happens between now and the end of the season will dictate how far we fall and how long the road is back, or if we even fall at all

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, DCFC27 said:

I think this is just Mel forcing the sale through and hoping the new owners bite. If it doesn’t go though Mel can still easily afford to pay the players and staff personally and he has a moral obligation to do so.

Mel can afford to pay them, he just doesn’t want to. 

With respect, he can obviously afford to do so but cash is king and all that - It's probably not the case that he has a £1m or whatever is needed sitting in there in an instance access account.... Seems to me that's the root of all of this, all the cash is there, just not in the right place!

21 minutes ago, EraniosSocks said:

If you want to defend Mel then that's fine, but in 2014 we were a club on the verge of promotion with financial stability. It now appears we cannot afford to pay players wages at all. His heart might have been in the right place but he's got it wrong. Horribly wrong. 

We were £18m in debt, losing £9m per year and could not afford transfer fees much higher than £1m.

9 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

The dithering when we need to be doing (even limited) transfer business to aid our survival is not endearing him to me. This is my club that’s being ducked about and I hate the thought of tw@ts deriving pleasure from our situation.

3 questions:

What is the cause of the delay? (You seem to be saying it is at the Sheikh’s door)

what makes you think anyone is deriving pleasure from it? 

what makes you think the club is not busy in the transfer/loan market in anticipation of the embargo being lifted  ?

45 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

We sold the ground in June 2018 for £80m.

Didnt we get £10m for Vydra that transfer window too?

Maybe £10m for Bogle/Lowe.

2 loans from Dell? £20m or £30m?

So in 2 1/2 years we have burned through £120m/£130m?

I know income is clearly down but so is our wage bill.

Are we really losing £50m to £60m per year?

Ive raised the point numerous times on here but I am stil not sure that the club received its £80m for the ground.

No accounts filed so impossible to tell.

When I take over, I'll give you Stephens job! 

4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

We were £18m in debt, losing £9m per year and could not afford transfer fees much higher than £1m.

That's not quite right, we chose not to pay transfer fees higher than 1m. The owners at the time, had a combined wealth of more than Mel. Unless the owners refused to subside the club, then as far as I'm aware, we would still be financially stable no matter what the debt or running loses were.

1 minute ago, BIllyD said:

That's not quite right, we chose not to pay transfer fees higher than 1m. The owners at the time, had a combined wealth of more than Mel. Unless the owners refused to subside the club, then as far as I'm aware, we would still be financially stable no matter what the debt or running loses were.

They didn't refuse but made it clear they no longer wanted to fund the running of the club.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

As did Mel? He had other IT businesses that flopped?

He had successful businesses before Candy Crush, didn't he?

Started out as a carpet fitter, moved into real estate before launching a dating website and selling it on.

5 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

3 questions:

What is the cause of the delay? (You seem to be saying it is at the Sheikh’s door)

Rightly or wrongly I believe that to be the case.

what makes you think anyone is deriving pleasure from it? 

I have been on another championship clubs forum in the recent past and a chap on there is obsessed with seeing us falling out the league al together because of the way we have been run in recent years. That is only one of course but I believe there to be many of a similar opinion.

what makes you think the club is not busy in the transfer/loan market in anticipation of the embargo being lifted  ?
Because I don’t believe either the current owner or the prospective owners are demonstrating much evidence of forward planning, it would be great to be wide of the mark mind.

Please excuse any further reply tonight, off up the wooden hill, early start in the morning. 

Good night to you, and everybody else. ?

3 minutes ago, Rev said:

We're going to end up in Sam Rush's embrace, aren't we?

Like a discredited cowboy riding back into town, to clear the real bad boys out and start anew.

I suspect we are about to be owned by MSD. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that they would need to hire a CEO quickly. Who else is used to both the club and the American way of doing business?

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

As did Mel? He had other IT businesses that flopped?

As a VC, there is always a risk that you are going to lose some, as long as your wins outweigh your losses you haven't got a problem. His bank balance shows he has done a pretty good job at that.

Archived