Jack Marriott - joined Sheff Wed on season long loan

Animal is a Ram

Just now, Jubbs said:

Clubs know we need a striker - so they're purposely holding out for a lot more money than they want from other clubs, because they know we're desperate. I'd rather us not pay over the odds for players (eg. £6m on a Wilson loan) than do what we did under Clement and pay £10m for players we sold on for £0.

I did ask you whether you were really happy with events.  The issue of overspending is spurious, that's not the issue, we can't get a forward for the reasons you mention but we still continue offloading them, it's really odd

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, YorkshireRam said:

Watched what I can find in the last couple of seasons in Mexico to get a feel for his playing style. Big, combative presence; wouldn't call him technically brilliant but he's a battler which is a critical trait we've been seeking in a striker, someone to bully opposition defenders. 

Also, think that's a bit of a cheap shot at Rosenior. He's not solely in charge of recruitment and pragmatically, no matter how many players you scout, getting a deal over the line sometimes proves impossible. He's not even in charge of securing transfers so think you're bang out of order targeting him there.

Not really having a go at rosenior but it just seems we have reached a dead end and now we’re clutching at straws.other teams always seem to do their business earlier in the windows.This is reoccurring theme .

1 minute ago, Turnstile said:

Not really having a go at rosenior but it just seems we have reached a dead end and now we’re clutching at straws.other teams always seem to do their business earlier in the windows.This is reoccurring theme .

In case you had forgotten, thanks to EFL ineptitude we were under a soft embargo for the first part of the window so we quite literally couldn't do our business early!!

2 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Clarke doesnt count because he was here last season

What? ?a signing doesn't count because he was here the season before??

6 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

who cares about what crap we've cleared out

So you want Anya to continue rotting in the U23's on £30k+ a week? You want Malone rotting away in the U23's on £20k+ a week? Transfer windows aren't just about who comes in, it's getting rid of deadwood too. 

7 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

will take duck knows how long to get fit

And how long did it take for Marriott to get "fully fit" - 2 ducking seasons.

7 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Are you forgetting Bogle?

No, I'm not happy with the fee received for Bogle, but I'm aware it's helped fund the rest of our transfers in and we've got a cheap and very good replacement in Byrne.

1 minute ago, Spanish said:

what were the terms of the embargo, I don't know for certain.

when was it lifted? when we were not guilty?  end of August?

25th of August.  A soft embargo allows a club to sign players, but effectively on a one in one out basis with EFL approval of the deal first. We needed a goalkeeper more than a striker

I'm not at all surprised the quality of our team is lower than last year (and the year before etc..) because I think the club have, understandably, altered their ambitions and we are no longer prioritising top 6

I don't think it's as bad as some on here would have it (we wont go down) but it probably isn't a top 6 squad but that's okay 

He hasn’t been fit for us for 2 seasons. Two managers haven’t really fancied him . Sending him on loan might work out well for us and if he does well at the very least his value will get back to nearer what we paid for him if we want to sell him on. And if it turns out bad we have lost nothing. Hopefully he will find his scoring boots again and come back to us next season a more confident player.

I'm a bit confused by the folks who are confused by this. He's basically at the bottom of the pecking order of our senior forwards. Those players get loaned out all the time. 

Not sure how we’re any worse off than the last game in the striker position. 

We've swapped a striker that hasn’t been performing for months, for a striker that is cheaper and everyone says won’t perform.

I don’t see the difference!

Do I think we need another striker......yes......but let’s wait and see what this evening brings.

22 hours ago, Raminphilippines said:

Would love to see Marriott go, apart from the odd match he never seemed to make it at Championship level. 

Never played to his strengths, thought he was a natural goal scorer.wish him well.let's hope we can get some good money for him.

Just now, SaintRam said:

I'm a bit confused by the folks who are confused by this. He's basically at the bottom of the pecking order of our senior forwards. Those players get loaned out all the time. 

He's behind injured Martyn Waghorn, midfielder Wayne Rooney and 34-year-old Colin Kazim-Richards?

What did I miss? 

The only thing I'm confused by is how we've managed to go into this summer needing a striker or a goalscorer, and ended up losing TWO and and replacing them with a CKR. It's baffling, mate.

If I had told you when the season ended that this was going to happen, admit it, you'd of laughed me off the forum! 

8 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

25th of August.  A soft embargo allows a club to sign players, but effectively on a one in one out basis with EFL approval of the deal first. We needed a goalkeeper more than a striker

J you multi quote like an expert, I wonder what your previous name was?

Did the soft embargo which ended c.2 months ago affect our transfer activity to such a degree that we couldn't find a forward.  This isnt a battle to the death on opinions I am just shocked and disappointed with the way things have turned out.  But you seem happy although I am still waiting for you to confirm this

@YorkshireRamjust included because the embargo was your line of defence

Nothing like an end of transfer window forum meltdown to cheer you up at the end of a tough working week! ?

As far as I'm concerned. We're in our best form of the season ? and we've got ride of players who haven't made an impact in the team this season (we've only played Marriott out of necessity and he hasn't been good enough or doesn't fit the system we want to play) and brought in players we haven't seen play for us yet.

We've certainly not got any weaker since the Norwich game, in which we held our own and won through determination and a touch of class in the final third. Marriott hasn't added anything to our attack since his first season. We've got Duncan and CKR as different options to a returning Waghorn and a capable Rooney.

We know we've not got our main target, but the fact that the club haven't spent lots of money on an alternative and decided to try out CKR there means they're probably confident of getting a preferred target in in January.

Feel free to come back and quote this and tell me I was wrong to believe in the management team and their planning if we are deep in poo at the end of January with no further strikers coming in and we're still in the bottom half of the table. I'm going to carry on beleiving that the coaches know what they're doing, they have a plan and they're putting the players in place in the squad to help them achieve that.

7 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Who the hell is top of that pecking order then?

2 minutes ago, roboto said:

Nothing like an end of transfer window forum meltdown to cheer you up at the end of a tough working week! ?

As far as I'm concerned. We're in our best form of the season ? and we've got ride of players who haven't made an impact in the team this season (we've only played Marriott out of necessity and he hasn't been good enough or doesn't fit the system we want to play) and brought in players we haven't seen play for us yet.

We've certainly not got any weaker since the Norwich game, in which we held our own and won through determination and a touch of class in the final third. Marriott hasn't added anything to our attack since his first season. We've got Duncan and CKR as different options to a returning Waghorn and a capable Rooney.

We know we've not got our main target, but the fact that the club haven't spent lots of money on an alternative and decided to try out CKR there means they're probably confident of getting a preferred target in in January.

Feel free to come back and quote this and tell me I was wrong to believe in the management team and their planning if we are deep in poo at the end of January with no further strikers coming in and we're still in the bottom half of the table. I'm going to carry on beleiving that the coaches know what they're doing, they have a plan and they're putting the players in place in the squad to help them achieve that.

I don't want to because I would fear for us if you were wrong.  To turn it around at that stage after the horrible January transfer window has closed would be a challenge I guess

Archived