Jack Marriott - joined Sheff Wed on season long loan

Animal is a Ram

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Spanish said:

J you multi quote like an expert, I wonder what your previous name was?

Did the soft embargo which ended c.2 months ago affect our transfer activity to such a degree that we couldn't find a forward.  This isnt a battle to the death on opinions I am just shocked and disappointed with the way things have turned out.  But you seem happy although I am still waiting for you to confirm this

@YorkshireRamjust included because the embargo was your line of defence

what are you on about ''line of defence'', somebody bemoaned not doing business early and I stated why we categorically couldn't do deals early. It's not a defence of anything, it's an accurate rebuttal to a specific point?

Hasn't he got a recall option? This could be a shrewd move. Maybe Duncan is nearer to being ready for first team than we think as a replacement type. Also, we extended his contract. He gets a run of games, confidence improves, we can get him back or sell him and make a profit. He hasn't been prolific but he's obviously talented so maybe he will come back even better.

16 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Not sure how we’re any worse off than the last game in the striker position. 

We've swapped a striker that hasn’t been performing for months, for a striker that is cheaper and everyone says won’t perform.

I don’t see the difference!

Do I think we need another striker......yes......but let’s wait and see what this evening brings.

I think The general gripe Is that we’re meant to try and Improve on what we have in the transfer window not stand still ... which in football is going backwards

3 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

what are you on about ''line of defence'', somebody bemoaned not doing business early and I stated why we categorically couldn't do deals early. It's not a defence of anything, it's an accurate rebuttal to a specific point?

sorry I read your comments that the embargo restricted our transfer activity and my response was that was getting on to 2 months ago.  No offence to be taken it is just a comment, ignore it if you feel fit

It makes sense on some level. Jack obviously doesn't fit the way Cocu wants to play, so it seems like we're sending him out to play every week, improve his fitness and increase his price tag.

I'd hope that we're either bringing in another striker on loan, or at least a winger so Waghorn can play as a striker without reducing competition on the wings.

16 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

He's behind injured Martyn Waghorn, midfielder Wayne Rooney and 34-year-old Colin Kazim-Richards?

What did I miss? 

The only thing I'm confused by is how we've managed to go into this summer needing a striker or a goalscorer, and ended up losing TWO and and replacing them with a CKR. It's baffling, mate.

If I had told you when the season ended that this was going to happen, admit it, you'd of laughed me off the forum! 

I accept that I wouldn't have "let" Martin go - but we still don't know that he didn't just simply want to leave. I think that's far more likely.

With Marriott - I'm just simply not fussed. He scored 2 goals with almost 50 shots last season. He just doesn't help us at all in that area. A whole season of Rooney up front would do more for our goals than a whole season of Marriott. 

That being said, it hasnt been a successful summer in the CF department. Don't get me wrong.

Just now, SaintRam said:

I accept that I wouldn't have "let" Martin go - but we still don't know that he didn't just simply want to leave. I think that's far more likely.

With Marriott - I'm just simply not fussed. He scored 2 goals with almost 50 shots last season. He just doesn't help us at all in that area. A whole season of Rooney up front would do more for our goals than a whole season of Marriott. 

That being said, it hasnt been a successful summer in the CF department. Don't get me wrong.

Hopefully JM gets a role that suits his skills, there is a good goal scorer in there if played in a certain way and that could turn him into either a better player for us and get him sold for a fee.

Sneakily I will add that it is only right that we should loan him to a club that where we are unlikely to be competition and SW have the points penalty.  But then a gain perhaps we should have sold him to a top half club, go to smile

2 minutes ago, EulogyForEvolution said:

It makes sense on some level. Jack obviously doesn't fit the way Cocu wants to play, so it seems like we're sending him out to play every week, improve his fitness and increase his price tag.

I'd hope that we're either bringing in another striker on loan, or at least a winger so Waghorn can play as a striker without reducing competition on the wings.

What’s clear is that Cocu clearly stated and therefore must have believed he was going to get more firepower after our second  loss. By the weekend he said. He didn’t. He now seems downbeat to me. Now we lose another badly utilised striker. Mel probably saving money to fund the pay off

9 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

I think The general gripe Is that we’re meant to try and Improve on what we have in the transfer window not stand still ... which in football is going backwards

And that’s a fair question.

When the transfer window closes discuss it!

6 minutes ago, Spanish said:

sorry I read your comments that the embargo restricted our transfer activity and my response was that was getting on to 2 months ago.  No offence to be taken it is just a comment, ignore it if you feel fit

I reply to everything I can, I enjoy the discussion. 

In regards to a striker, reading between the lines, it seems Dursan was first choice but we get told by Darmstadt that they'll only let him leave once they've got a replacement. So we wait for that, but it never materialises so we move onto plan B which is loaning one of Austin, Davis or Zohore- Robson-Kanu and Wesley injuries stopped any of those deals happening so we're left with plan c- Kazim-Richards.

Without having a million irons in the fire, or just overspending which we don't even have the budget to do, I'm not sure we did too much wrong, just bad luck. Chances are CKR is backup for Waghorn anyway so not a critical signing but I think a lot are forgetting how tight finances are and the restrictions we're trying to sign player under. 

3 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

I reply to everything I can, I enjoy the discussion. 

In regards to a striker, reading between the lines, it seems Dursan was first choice but we get told by Darmstadt that they'll only let him leave once they've got a replacement. So we wait for that, but it never materialises so we move onto plan B which is loaning one of Austin, Davis or Zohore- Robson-Kanu and Wesley injuries stopped any of those deals happening so we're left with plan c- Kazim-Richards.

Without having a million irons in the fire, or just overspending which we don't even have the budget to do, I'm not sure we did too much wrong, just bad luck. Chances are CKR is backup for Waghorn anyway so not a critical signing but I think a lot are forgetting how tight finances are and the restrictions we're trying to sign player under. 

agreed, the issue we are here every year or so it seems.  We need someone, we sell someone, we don't get the guy we want, we buy someone who doesn't meet the spec for the type of player we wanted.  Gets a bit boring, it's like having Florest fans in charge of the recruitment team

We are going to lose a lot of money on Jack but I think he has found himself To be a square peg in a round hole. 

it has been obvious for ages that he can’t play in a team set up for just one up front.

letting Martin go has now bitten us on the arsenal, but presumably cocu didn’t want him enough to really commit to the player and the wages. Maybe that’s a case of ‘being careful what you wish for’. I find it hard to believe he would have swapped Chris for CKR.

i know it’s tantamount to heresy and evil, but I’d feel a lot happier if we had ditched Rooney and his wages.

4 minutes ago, RamNut said:

We are going to lose a lot of money on Jack but I think he has found himself To be a square peg in a round hole. 

it has been obvious for ages that he can’t play in a team set up for just one up front.

letting Martin go has now bitten us on the arsenal, but presumably cocu didn’t want him enough to really commit to the player and the wages. Maybe that’s a case of ‘being careful what you wish for’. I find it hard to believe he would have swapped Chris for CKR.

i know it’s tantamount to heresy and evil, but I’d feel a lot happier if we had ditched Rooney and his wages.

does he cost us anything though?

7 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Letting Martin go has now bitten us on the arsenal, but presumably cocu didn’t want him enough to really commit to the player and the wages. Maybe that’s a case of ‘being careful what you wish for’. I find it hard to believe he would have swapped Chris for CKR.

It might not have anything to do with Cocu's desire of course; could just been down to the budget the club have set for him to operate in.

I don't know the numbers involved but I do know that Bristol are one of the clubs who are giving it a go this season. They have headroom in their P&S numbers and a very wealthy owner who views the current situation is a good opportunity to speculate, so they might well have offered Martin the deal he was after and Derby couldn't afford.

1 hour ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Radio Derby have said that we aren't bringing anyone else in.

I hope Cocu has a good explanation as to why he's let Marriott go. 

Shambolic management. 

To sanction this with no replacement. 

We now have a 34 year old Rooney. Who's not really 100% fit yet and basically is a midfielder now. Replacing Marriott as the 3rd striker. 

A 30 year old Waghorn. Who isn't fit and probably won't be for a few weeks. Who also misses absolute bread and butter chances.

Colin Kazim-Richards. 34. Been round the world more times than a stamp. Scores more than 10 goals in a season once in his entire 16 year career.

Bobby Duncan. No idea what he's like. No idea if he's good enough. But he's not fit.

So essentially we are going into October with Rooney up front. He's gonna have to play every game. Because nobody else is fit.

You just know Marriott will score goals for Wednesday which will just run salt into the wounds.

You can gloss this up as much as you want. But this is an utter shambles from the club and the manager.

Marriott himself I'm not bothered that he's gone. That's not the issue. It's fine. But to not sign a replacement. It beggars belief.

I would love to know the thought process behind this.

bored jack nicholson GIF

People still talking about Marriott like he’s the messiah, he isn’t good enough and while he could possibly flourish under a different system he isn’t good enough to build a team around. 

We’ve extended his contract and got a recall option which makes sense and I assume they’re paying a chunk of his wages, not worth us paying when all he gets are 10 minute cameos. Waghorn is first choice, we also have Rooney and CZR. 

Obviously rather we had another in and that was the intention, but Marriott is not the striker we need right now and there’s no point paying his wages when he spends most his time injured and when he plays he looks garbage, especially in our financial situation. 

People also forgetting that aside from not improving up front, we’ve had the best transfer window we’ve seen for a long time. 

4 minutes ago, Longeatonram2020 said:

People still talking about Marriott like he’s the messiah, he isn’t good enough and while he could possibly flourish under a different system he isn’t good enough to build a team around. 

We’ve extended his contract and got a recall option which makes sense and I assume they’re paying a chunk of his wages, not worth us paying when all he gets are 10 minute cameos. Waghorn is first choice, we also have Rooney and CZR. 

Obviously rather we had another in and that was the intention, but Marriott is not the striker we need right now and there’s no point paying his wages when he spends most his time injured and when he plays he looks garbage, especially in our financial situation. 

People also forgetting that aside from not improving up front, we’ve had the best transfer window we’ve seen for a long time. 

damned with faint praise.  ?

32 minutes ago, Longeatonram2020 said:

Agree to the point I am glad to see Marriott go, apart from the odd match he has done very little. When he first came to Derby I had high hopes but he just has not made the grade. I really struggle to understand why many love him so much. 

Archived