Rooney Out

Posh Ram

Sorry I thought your reference was to early in the season when of course we didn't actually have Jozwiak Waghorn and Lawrence for example. On Rooney my thinking is that he dominates this team but not for the greater good. Imo he lacks mobility and he is prone to giving the ball away in positions which put the rest of the team on the back foot. He was a magnificent player no doubt but I shall be glad when his 18 months is up. 

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If people are singling out Rooney, it should be considered as scapegoating. He has been no worse than several other players. In fact yesterday, he played some good passes, set up at least once chance and looked all right. Some of the team yesterday I would say looked ok and some anonymous.  But that’s precisely it, just average. As a team and unit, we aren’t very good. We don’t get enough players into the box even though we seem to be crossing the ball more now (Buchanan and Byrne do get crosses in) and we just don’t have the confidence or ability around the opposition area. I would argue Rooney does a lot in terms of switching play and looking for long balls. The moments after that we seem to find an impasse against defenders and play it backwards. 
If you judge Rooney by world class standards and astronomical wages then he is not performing well enough but don’t pretend he is playing worse than everyone else. There may be a fitness or injury issue this season, but he still looks good on the ball. 

I was hoping that the appointment of Rooney would help to motivate, inspire and bring out the best in the players. However although this appeared to happen initially this just isn't happening.  He plays some good balls and takes some good free kicks but he appears to be as disillusioned as the rest of the team. They quite clearly aren't enjoying their football and I don't think Rooney is the man to turn it around.  

Rooney out IMHO is nonsense, with a manager hell bent on slow possession based football he will be closed down and caught out time and again. 
With a more dynamic manager and a setup with high intensity pressing football we will see Rooney rip this division to shreds. 
The lack of a cutting edge up front and a centre forward that can stay onside, WR has not one out ball to play to turn defence to attack and this is fundamentally screwed our opportunities to test the opposition game in game out!
We all saw it last season play WR as the midfield anchor pinging the ball around and what a difference he made. Unfortunately PC has done what he always appears to  do best and find something that could and does work and then proceed in ripping the arse out of it. 
It’s the tinkering of PC that has messed our team up not WR, obviously this is just my opinion and I am well aware that many may disagree. ??‍♂️??‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Rooney out IMHO is nonsense, with a manager hell bent on slow possession based football he will be closed down and caught out time and again. 
With a more dynamic manager and a setup with high intensity pressing football we will see Rooney rip this division to shreds. 
The lack of a cutting edge up front and a centre forward that can stay onside, WR has not one out ball to play to turn defence to attack and this is fundamentally screwed our opportunities to test the opposition game in game out!
We all saw it last season play WR as the midfield anchor pinging the ball around and what a difference he made. Unfortunately PC has done what he always appears to  do best and find something that could and does work and then proceed in ripping the arse out of it. 
It’s the tinkering of PC that has messed our team up not WR, obviously this is just my opinion and I am well aware that many may disagree. ??‍♂️??‍♂️

100%. His quick thinking and undeniable ability on the ball, he would tear a new ******** into 99% of the teams in this league. It's obvious the style of football doesn't suit any of our squad. imo.

1 hour ago, desirelines said:

Do you reckon he’s the definition of a Luxury Player? Like, he would be perfect to sprinkle that extra magic on a performance if the rest of the team is firing, but when you’re desperately battling for points at the wrong end of the table, he’s essentially become a hinderance? 

I do  yes. I get that some of our moments of quality come from him but I can see players looking for him when better options are available. I don't know if they are following instructions or if they are star-struck. 

Rooney needs to be used sparingly and against opposition that will suit him best.  This season is condensed and he can’t play twice a week so the management team, and I include Rooney in that, need to decide which games he’ll be most effective in.

My biggest concern is his lack of leadership on the pitch.  He’s Cocu’s man on the pitch and needs to play his part.  This was needed more than ever yesterday with Cocu absent.  Also, why don’t we hear from him after the match?  If I was in the dressing room I’d be asking why I’m having to face the media and explain a poor result/performance when he’s the captain!!  I can’t remember ever hearing so little from the leader of the team.

5 minutes ago, Coolascustard said:

Rooney needs to be used sparingly and against opposition that will suit him best.  This season is condensed and he can’t play twice a week so the management team, and I include Rooney in that, need to decide which games he’ll be most effective in.

My biggest concern is his lack of leadership on the pitch.  He’s Cocu’s man on the pitch and needs to play his part.  This was needed more than ever yesterday with Cocu absent.  Also, why don’t we hear from him after the match?  If I was in the dressing room I’d be asking why I’m having to face the media and explain a poor result/performance when he’s the captain!!  I can’t remember ever hearing so little from the leader of the team.

Out of curiosity what sort of opposition would suit Rooney best. Like those who give him acres of space to spray his ineffectual diagonal Hollywood passes around? Think a lot of teams have already rumbled that one. 

At the moment it's not Rooney that's the issue it's finding a team who are such an abject roll over that we are able to score at least one solitary goal against without them threatening us. Big ask at the moment.

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

Out of curiosity what sort of opposition would suit Rooney best. Like those who give him acres of space to spray his ineffectual diagonal Hollywood passes around? Think a lot of teams have already rumbled that one. 

At the moment it's not Rooney that's the issue it's finding a team who are such an abject roll over that we are able to score at least one solitary goal against without them threatening us. Big ask at the moment.

I think it’s a combination of opposition that don’t press but also less games.  He’s not fit enough to play competitive matches twice a week.  If he can do that, he’ll be able to play against the teams that press and be more effective - the two go hand in hand.  That said, the change since he came back is noticeable and other players are moved or dropped to accommodate him.  The form he’s in at the moment that makes us weaker.

And good point about not rolling over but I think that’s where his leadership has to come to the fore.

2 hours ago, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

If people are singling out Rooney, it should be considered as scapegoating. He has been no worse than several other players. In fact yesterday, he played some good passes, set up at least once chance and looked all right. Some of the team yesterday I would say looked ok and some anonymous.  But that’s precisely it, just average. As a team and unit, we aren’t very good. We don’t get enough players into the box even though we seem to be crossing the ball more now (Buchanan and Byrne do get crosses in) and we just don’t have the confidence or ability around the opposition area. I would argue Rooney does a lot in terms of switching play and looking for long balls. The moments after that we seem to find an impasse against defenders and play it backwards. 
If you judge Rooney by world class standards and astronomical wages then he is not performing well enough but don’t pretend he is playing worse than everyone else. There may be a fitness or injury issue this season, but he still looks good on the ball. 

I think the money he's on, the unique contract where he's paid by a third party, plus the fame inviting the Wayne Rooney carnival along - that's why he's getting singled out. His experience is his strength, but it's not seemingly benefitting us at all at the minute. His age is his weakness, and that's there for all to see every game.

3 hours ago, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

‘No worse than other players’ simply isn’t good enough for someone earning what he is earning. This is the point I’m trying to make. He hasn’t been out worst player but more often than not he’s not been good. He should be good more times than he isn’t because he’s costing us an absolute fortune. 

Would prefer to see Wayne on the touch line in a trench coat, shouting instructions and tapping his watch at the ref. Mac alongside him. Let’s play high tempo attacking football and score more goals than the opposition ️. Both were involved in probably the best attacking side in the country under Fergie. Let’s go for it, this group of players is far better than the dross being served up at the moment.

I think this was always going to be  a dilemma, the club was going to face at some point, regardless of perilous current position in the league.

Last season recruiting Rooney was considered by everyone a 'no-brainer'. Why were get a great player in the twilight of his career but with a lot of PR value and who's wages were being subsidised by a betting company it was win win all around. 

As a bonus his influence and goals even helped us 'nearly' grab an improbable top 6 finish.

This season however the years seem to have finally caught up with him and his influence barring one every important goal has been patch.   

Does he still merit a regular starting place in the side. It's debatably, I think.  

It maybe were locked-in to some marketing tie up with the betting company and obliged to play him in a certain number of matches (just guessing, no idea). 

I just wonder if/when a new manager does come in how often would he play him then. 

Especially has he seems to see his longer term future as a coach/manager. 

Archived