Jordon Ibe - Signed on a 2 year deal

S8TY

Soooooooooo if this is a thing (not assuming anything yet to avoid disappointment) do we think this is the 2nd attacking player Cocu mentioned? Or is this a bonus player who just happened to be available and free so why not take a punt? (A Rooney-like random happening from nowhere)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn’t mind this at all. Like a lot have said, get him up to speed and he’ll be a threat in this league. 

Definitely starting to see an effort to lower the average age of the squad but also some decent talent added as well.

Cocu seems to be building a decent squad with a good mix of experience and exuberance.

5 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Soooooooooo if this is a thing (not assuming anything yet to avoid disappointment) do we think this is the 2nd attacking player Cocu mentioned? Or is this a bonus player who just happened to be available and free so why not take a punt? (A Rooney-like random happening from nowhere)

If we are signing a striker too then ill be ecstatic with the transfer business,  if we sign ibe and no striker ill be mortified ?

48 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Ordinarily I would say that this signing smacks of desperation and panic.

But let’s face it, we are genuinely desperate! You couldn’t look at our poor start and our poor financial situation and suggest otherwise.

We can’t afford to spend £2m+ on an unheralded French winger, so we have to take a different kind of risk.

This doesn’t excite me purely because I think we already have a similar player who is talented, inconsistent and a loose cannon in Tom Lawrence. I am not sure we need another one.

But I guess that’s where we are as a club, so let’s take the risk and see if we can get him fit and firing.

He has to be a better alternative to playing Knight, Holmes and Waghorn out wide, surely?

Serious Question Why do you follow Derby? you are never satisfied!! ....would'nt Benfica or Boavista suit you more ??

Ibe would be a class signing.. He was brilliant for us at the end & still only 24. He's miles better than any option we have at the moment & on form would be the best player in his position in the league. 

I also dont think you can judge him on his time at Bournemouth.. Whilst there is a media love in for Eddie Howe & he did a good job keeping Bournemouth in the prem for so long i think he coaches the flair out of Ibe type players. Harry Wilson looked shot at the end of his spell there. 

Sometimes the player, coach & club dont fit. Doesn't make them bad players. I think Ibe would do very well for us 

47 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Ordinarily I would say that this signing smacks of desperation and panic.

But let’s face it, we are genuinely desperate! You couldn’t look at our poor start and our poor financial situation and suggest otherwise.

We can’t afford to spend £2m+ on an unheralded French winger, so we have to take a different kind of risk.

This doesn’t excite me purely because I think we already have a similar player who is talented, inconsistent and a loose cannon in Tom Lawrence. I am not sure we need another one.

But I guess that’s where we are as a club, so let’s take the risk and see if we can get him fit and firing.

He has to be a better alternative to playing Knight, Holmes and Waghorn out wide, surely?

Think this is a bit of an ignorant comment. They're not similar in footballing terms, despite playing similar positions. You're using their perceived 'bad attitudes' to brand them with the same iron despite recent evidence from Ibe suggesting a level of maturity and desire to get his career back on track.

Ibe is only 24 so will still have his physical prowess and with an improved mentality, if the coaching staff have faith they can get him to perform consistently, I'm not sure why we should doubt that. 

24 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

"Signing Ibe Smacks of desperation and panic", what a joke. 

He wont have lost his pace, power and natural dribbling ability he just needs his confidence  back and a run of games. Let's be honest even if he doesn't play great at first he will be alot more threatening than Knight and Whittaker on the wings who are our options at the moment. 

It does a little. It strikes me that we are well down our list and scrambling.

If we had signed him at the start of pre-season so he could build his match fitness and integrate into the squad and hit the ground running, it would appear a lot more calculated and sensible.

Yes, I totally agree that on paper he has the potential and the attributes we are looking for.

But in essence, we are signing a player who hasn’t played regular football for two seasons, was at a Premier League club on a sizeable wage, has struggled with personal problems, and hasn’t even played in the Championship for five years.

Who knows how he will adapt? Yes, it is potentially a high reward move, but it is also a high risk one.

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

but it is also a high risk one.

How's it high risk? He won't be on **that** much money you wouldn't have thought, we haven't paid a transfer fee. It's low risk. He could be brilliant, but if he's not, we haven't broken the bank.

2 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

If we had signed him at the start of pre-season so he could build his match fitness and integrate into the squad and hit the ground running, it would appear a lot more calculated and sensible.

Yes, I totally agree that on paper he has the potential and the attributes we are looking for.

But in essence, we are signing a player who hasn’t played regular football for two seasons, was at a Premier League club on a sizeable wage, has struggled with personal problems, and hasn’t even played in the Championship for five years.

Who knows how he will adapt? Yes, it is potentially a high reward move, but it is also a high risk one.

But from Ibes point of view as a Premiership player, would you jump straight back into the Championship at the first offer, or would you hold off for a few more weeks and hope a Premiership club takes a gamble on you? 

2 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

“Sign Jozwiak and another winger”

*Derby linked with another winger after all but signing Jozwiak*

”Hmm bit desperate actually” 

Do me a bloody favour will you

6 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

How is it high risk??? Mr Negative?? We sign him on wages we can afford with no transfer fee...if he's crap we release him and if he proves himself we have a player of value to the club?? so wages??? we have offloaded Huddlestone,Martin,Anya,Bogle,Lowe,Malone and Bennett so don't think its going to be any more expense to the club 

13 minutes ago, ramit said:

If true and a good deal has been struck, a big yes from me

Me also loved his time with us before not played for 12 months so will need time that said we just need a decent centre forward now who knows were the goalposts are and we are laughing,my pick on loan Kennath Zahore

If you don't buy a ticket you'll never win the lottery. 

In our position at moment we need to speculate in this market in order to find players (such as Ibe) who have lost there way but with a little bit of believe and support can be returned to their former selves. 

Hopefully there will be others out there.

This reminds me a little of Burleys approach when came looking for and pick up unexpected gems.  

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

We wanted him last year, plus Ibe would've been on large wages at Bournemouth. To me, it's more believable that Ibe was waiting for a larger offer and we've been in contact all summer hoping that other things didn't formulate and that our offer became acceptable. 

He would've been on big money at Bournemouth, at least £40k+ I would suggest, so we're going to be roughly half that at an absolute best. You can't blame him for wanting to assess his options and see what he could pick up. He obviously had offers from abroad, possibly much more substantial than what we were ever going to be able to put on the table, but as he said in that interview he was worried about being in a different country from his daughter. Not to mention Covid will be playing a role in his decision making.

If I was to join the dots, and that's all I'm doing, I would say that we have been in contact with Ibe (possibly since last year) and have been keen on him to return. Bournemouth rejected a loan move last summer, so it's not unfeasible. When he left the club, no doubt he would've had a number of options. It sounds like a lot from overseas. This has given him time to assess the situation and now negotiate a deal that we can be happy with here. 

Last week, we were told we wanted a winger (Jozwiak) and a striker (unknown). Ibe or an alternative didn't seem like an option hence why I believe the above to be true rather than us scrapping the barrel for an extra winger and Ibe being at the bottom of the pile. 

11 minutes ago, S8TY said:

Serious Question Why do you follow Derby? you are never satisfied!! ....would'nt Benfica or Boavista suit you more ??

I support Derby because my dad took me to the BBG when I was four years old and that’s where it all started.

Why would I support Benfica or Boavista when I have no connection to those teams?

It’s one signing that I am questioning. Read my comments on Marshall, Byrne, Clarke and Te Wierik and I have been nothing but positive.

Do you disagree that signing Ibe is a big risk?

Our level of financial manoeuvrability (I hate that word always have to Google the spelling and copy & paste it!) would have been a lot harder for the club to judge early on in pre-season, so it's probably not not fair to say that Ibe was low down the list, negotiations could have been going on for weeks.

If he's already had a medical without anyone cottoning on until today that would back up that this has been an ongoing situation for a while.

Also if his mum and step-dad are acting as his agents they're probably going to be a lot more discreet about things and have his interests at heart, than some shyster agent looking for a big paycheck of his own & leaking info to the press.

3 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I support Derby because my dad took me to the BBG when I was four years old and that’s where it all started.

Why would I support Benfica or Boavista when I have no connection to those teams?

It’s one signing that I am questioning. Read my comments on Marshall, Byrne, Clarke and Te Wierik and I have been nothing but positive.

Do you disagree that signing Ibe is a big risk?

To be fair to you Jourdan the last couple of weeks is probably the most positive i've ever seen you about Derby and long may that continue.

Regarding Ibe , its only a risk for me regarding fitness , otherwise i think its fantastic business

Archived