Academy Thread 20/21

Ghost of Clough

U23s drew 1-1 with Birmingham, Ibrahim scoring for us. Idem saved from the spot after giving away a penalty. 

I think this was the team, although it’s hard to tel from the limited highlight footage.

Idem
McDonald   Bateman   Wassall   Trialist(?)
Dixon   JBrown
Borkovic(?)   Ibrahim   Archie
Stretton

Subs used: Matthews, Cashin, Bardell(?), Cybulski(?)

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2020/09/under-23-highlights-Derby-county-1-1-birmingham-city

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

U23s drew 1-1 with Birmingham, Ibrahim scoring for us. Idem saved from the spot after giving away a penalty. 

I think this was the team, although it’s hard to tel from the limited highlight footage.

Idem
McDonald   Bateman   Wassall   Trialist(?)
Dixon   JBrown
Borkovic(?)   Ibrahim   Archie
Stretton

Subs used: Matthews, Cashin, Bardell(?), Cybulski(?)

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2020/09/under-23-highlights-Derby-county-1-1-birmingham-city

Limited highlights, I know, but I had two main takeaways...

- Ibrahim looks the business. Believe he’s only 16? Big future for him, would not be shocked to see him involved in the first team properly before too long. 

- Idem is absolutely monstrous. Looks an absolute beast in between the sticks. 

Think it’s going to be a tough year for the youth teams. With all the players getting promoted to u23s and full team I think we’ll be short on quality at that level. But as long as we stay up that will be the main thing. We’ve fielded some strong u23 teams in the past but can’t see it this season. 

The U23s kick off their season on Saturday vs Man City, whilst the U18s play Sunderland at the same time.

With the first team as light as it currently is, we'll be fielding two very young sides, with some players stepping up a level a lot sooner than we probably would have liked. I'm looking forward to seeing who starts!

17 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The U23s kick off their season on Saturday vs Man City, whilst the U18s play Sunderland at the same time.

With the first team as light as it currently is, we'll be fielding two very young sides, with some players stepping up a level a lot sooner than we probably would have liked. I'm looking forward to seeing who starts!

Flo Jo maybe if they are trying to keep him fit to sell 

3 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

That seems quite a coup for the academy. He's a half decent manager in his own right, isn't he?

Been a manager consistently for 8 years across the 3 EFL divisions, which is a good sign; but I can't speak to his competency.

Was sacked by Bradford in January as they fell out of the playoff spots with a bad run of form; they remained outside of the playoff spots. ? 

Edited by SaintRam