Academy Thread 20/21

Ghost of Clough

With the players back in training in readiness for next season, it's time for a new thread.

Bird, Sibley and Knight have all successfully made the step up into the first team since last season started. Whittaker also made a mark playing in a third of the games, albeit with limited game time. Buchanan and Trialist look set to be part of the first time in this upcoming season (or possibly loaned out).

Excluding the names listed above than leaves us with two relatively small and inexperienced squads at U23 and U18 level.

U23s

Goalkeepers: Yates, Foster, Halwax

Defenders: Ebosele, McDonald, Charles, Wassall, Bateman, Minkley, Cashin

Midfielders: JBrown, Dixon, LThompson

Wingers: Shonibare, JML, Archie, Wilson

Forwards: Cresswell, Stretton

U18s

Goalkeepers: Roberts, Randle

Defenders: Bardell, Soloman, Jinkinson, Rutt

Midfielders: Aghatise, Matthews, Rogers, SThompson, Perez de Gracia, Christie, Filimon

Wingers: Grewal-Pollard, Borkovic, Williams, Kelly

Forwards: Cybulski, Gordon

Two players who I have no idea where they play are Olamide Ibrahim (who I think has signed from Man Utd) and Rhys Brailsford.

15 minutes ago, Stuniverse said:

Does anybody know anything about the nine first-year scholars, specifically what positions they play?

I think Alfie Roberts is a GK, Charlie Rutt is a DC, and Cian Kelly Caprani can play anywhere down the left but is primarily a LW. After that, I’m not sure about Mario Borkovic, Rhys Brailsford, Eli Christie, Olamide Ibrahim, Harvey Randle, Charlie Rutt and Dylan Williams.

Roberts and Randle are GKs as I listed above.
Rutt can play CB or LB
Kelly LB, LW or RW

I think Christie and Filimon are both CMs
Borkovic and Williams play on the wings
Gordon is a CF who can also play on the wing - got a cracking long shot on him (I think left footed).

No idea where Ibrahim or Brailsford play.

Edited by Ghost of Clough

Both squads look pretty thin in certain positions. Will probably need to recruit a fair few external prospects from other clubs to make up the numbers. Hopefully with our reputation as an academy we will be able to bring in some top talents like we did with Hector-Ingram last year. Suspect we will see a few on trial once pre season starts.

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Roberts and Randle are GKs as I listed above.
Rutt can play CB or LB
Kelly LB, LW or RW

I think Christie and Filimon are both CMs
Borkovic and Williams play on the wings
Gordon is a CF who can also play on the wing - got a cracking long shot on him (I think left footed)

Thanks, @Ghost of Clough. Gordon and Filimon aren’t confirmed on the official update: https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2020/08/under-23-under-18-squads-update-ahead-of-202021-season

Are they both U16 still?

Also, no mention of Jaden Charles. Hopefully an oversight rather than released / signed elsewhere.

Edited by Stuniverse

3 hours ago, Stuniverse said:

Thanks, @Ghost of Clough. Gordon and Filimon aren’t confirmed on the official update: https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2020/08/under-23-under-18-squads-update-ahead-of-202021-season

Are they both U16 still?

Also, no mention of Jaden Charles. Hopefully an oversight rather than released / signed elsewhere.

Both played for the U18s last year so I thought they’d be stepping up from the U16s this season. They surely can’t only be stepping up to the U16s? 

2 hours ago, tinman said:

Jayden Charles has been released. 

That’s a puzzling one to me. No other LBs at U23 level (unless you include Buchanan) and could have been an option at CM (we only have 3 other players who can play there).

2 hours ago, zaragozaram said:

Haven't we also signed Caprani from Ireland and some lad from Maidenhead?

That’s who I meant by Kelly (Kelly Caprani). I must have missed the Maidenhead one?

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

No other LBs at U23 level (unless you include Buchanan)

Archie plays there sometimes, as does Jordan Brown. I've seen Kornell McDonald play there too... which reminds me, whatever happened to Callum MacDonald?

Looks like Charles is an unfortunate victim of already having 2 other young left backs ahead of him in the pecking order, he certainly took a decent free kick.

3 minutes ago, Stuniverse said:

Didn’t Jordan Brown play LB for the U23s? One of the many positions the versatile youngster can play?

Yes but we don’t have many in midfield either. Dixon and  LThompson the other recognised CMs 

3 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Archie plays there sometimes, as does Jordan Brown. I've seen Kornell McDonald play there too... which reminds me, whatever happened to Callum MacDonald?

Looks like Charles is an unfortunate victim of already having 2 other young left backs ahead of him in the pecking order, he certainly took a decent free kick.

True, but it isn’t their main position. With Cocu as first team manager, we should be fielding players in their preferred position to make that jump up to the first team much more seem less. I wouldn’t be surprised if we switch to some form of 523/343, with Tyree as the left wingback and keep Archie as one of the attacking options. 

MacDonald went to Blackpool at the start of the 19/20 season. 

2 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Ethan Wassall feels like he’s been around for 10 years! 

He did make his first app for the U23s at just 16 I believe. There was also Ayrton who come through the ranks - you may have combined them both into one. 

3 hours ago, Stuniverse said:

Are they both U16 still?

Gordon is an U16, he only played a couple of times for the U18s