Academy Thread 20/21

Ghost of Clough

7 minutes ago, Footymum2017 said:

Amazing that he’s been offered another contract when he’s 23 in January and nowhere near the first team!

Tis a mystery?

Although I did link a while back to the Mail's Secret Scout, who said he could be an option for a LG1/2 side on loan.

26 minutes ago, Stuniverse said:

Didn’t Jordan Brown play LB for the U23s? One of the many positions the versatile youngster can play?

With his stature and ability in the air think he would make an excellent centre half. He’s very comfortable with the ball at his feet - very much a Cocu type player, could see him being the breakthrough player this coming season. 

A little guess at our most used lineups next season...

U23s

Foster
Minkley   Wassall   Cashin
Ebosele   Dixon   JBrown   Wilson
Cresswell   Trialist   Archie

Subs: Halwax, McDonald, Bateman, LThompson, Aghatise, Shonibare, Stretton

Loaned out: Yates, JML

U18s

Roberts
Bardell   Soloman   Jinkinson   Rutt
SThompson   Matthews   Rogers
Borkovic   Cybulski   Williams

Subs (from): Randle, Perez de Gracia, Christie, Ibrahim, Brailsford, Grewal-Pollard, Kelly Caprani, Gordon

9 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

A little guess at our most used lineups next season...

U23s

Foster
Minkley   Wassall   Cashin
Ebosele   Dixon   JBrown   Wilson
Cresswell   Trialist   Archie

Subs: Halwax, McDonald, Bateman, LThompson, Aghatise, Shonibare, Stretton

Loaned out: Yates, JML

U18s

Roberts
Bardell   Soloman   Jinkinson   Rutt
SThompson   Matthews   Rogers
Borkovic   Cybulski   Williams

Subs (from): Randle, Perez de Gracia, Christie, Ibrahim, Brailsford, Grewal-Pollard, Kelly Caprani, Gordon

Correct me if I’m wrong but don’t they tend to play the same formation and system (to a certain extent) as the first team to make the transition as seamless as possible? Can’t see us playing 3 at the back for that reason. 

16 minutes ago, Srg said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but don’t they tend to play the same formation and system (to a certain extent) as the first team to make the transition as seamless as possible? Can’t see us playing 3 at the back for that reason. 

Typically yes, but it largely depends on the players available. I don't think we have that this year. The U18s used 3/5 at the back for a majority of the 18/19 season, which included most of the personnel who make up the U23 squad this season - typically 352 but occasionally 343. They only really reverted to 4 at the back in the tail end of that season when we fielded the trio of Bird, Knight and Sibley to ensure we won that title.

I think we can rule out playing 433 as we just don't have enough CMs to play it. It would leave us with 2 defenders and no CMs on the bench/backup. I suppose the only other option is to play 4231, which would leave us with a more balanced bench (2 defenders, 1 CM, 1 winger, 1 CF, and the odd U18). 

Dixon  JBrown
Wilson  Cresswell  Archie
Trialist

The reason I see us staying away from this is to get as many of our more promising players more game time. As much as I like Wassall, Bateman, Shonibare and Cresswell, I don't think they'll make the step up to our first team. So our focus should be getting the others in that matchday squad as often as possible. The 6 definite starters for me are Ebosele, Minkley, JBrown, Dixon, Archie and Trialist. With it being such a young squad, I see Wassall staying in the team. To get Cashin in the team as well that means a switch to 3/5 at the back.

2 hours ago, inter politics said:

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/agency-firm-clarifies-departure-young-4393011

Not released according to his side. Anyone know who his new club is?

With a statement like that, he is either going to a Man City or it has been made with sour grapes.

On 03/08/2020 at 16:46, Ghost of Clough said:

Two players who I have no idea where they play are Olamide Ibrahim (who I think has signed from Man Utd) and Rhys Brailsford.

According to a Man Utd colleague of mine, I found out this about Olamide Ibrahim: he’s right-footed, played CB or DM for Man Utd’s U16s and was captain quite often last season. Goes by the name of Ola.

5 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

If he's Gary Charles' son then it's not really much of a surprise since he's a director of Tornado Sports Management 

Just feels like a bit of information left out, rather than an attempt to mislead by Derby. Presumably released at the player's request, is still a release.

Gary always at matches watching his son. Maybe thinks he's not getting enough of a chance here? He's very talented but still quite small in stature for his age group.

20 minutes ago, angieram said:

Just feels like a bit of information left out, rather than an attempt to mislead by Derby. Presumably released at the player's request, is still a release.

Gary always at matches watching his son. Maybe thinks he's not getting enough of a chance here? He's very talented but still quite small in stature for his age group.

Could be uncertain on game time this season if Buchanan is going to be the preferred option at LB when available. Maybe it’s the number of players between him and the first team. Maybe he wants to play CM or LW instead of LB?

2 minutes ago, Kinder said:

Weren’t Gary Charles and Wass playing for us at the same time?  I’d imagine they know each other well enough to have an honest conversation about Jaden’s prospects. Either that or a very awkward conversation!

Conversation probably went:

Gary: "Jaden deserves to be promoted to the u23s"

Wass: "he isnt ready yet but we will keep an eye out"

Gary: "I think I know when my lad is ready"

Wass: "You defected in a taxi and smeared your wee beige jobby all over the windows mate, probably best you just stick to frying chips"

Gary: "grab ya boots Jaden, we are leaving"