Academy Thread 20/21

Ghost of Clough

• 2 weeks later...

Noticed that there are some very knowledgeable posters on this thread regarding the academy/reserve teams and was wondering, given the financial position we find ourselves in, who people can see making the step up to the first team squad next year?

I have seen Ebosele, Watson, Stretton and Cresswell a few times but don’t enough to say if they’re ready to kick on yet (think i heard cresswell was off anyway). Any others we should keep an eye out for?

8 hours ago, BrudeRAM said:

Noticed that there are some very knowledgeable posters on this thread regarding the academy/reserve teams and was wondering, given the financial position we find ourselves in, who people can see making the step up to the first team squad next year?

I have seen Ebosele, Watson, Stretton and Cresswell a few times but don’t enough to say if they’re ready to kick on yet (think i heard cresswell was off anyway). Any others we should keep an eye out for?

I expect the older ones to be let go - Yates, Wassall, Bateman, JML, Cresswell, Trialist

The ones to have already been included in the squad are obviously in with a chance of being permanent members of the squad. That's just about all of the U23s. 

McDonald, Ebosele, Watson and Stretton are the closest to making the first team - McDonald and Watson were in half of the matchday squads last season afterall.
Shonibare is in with a shout given out lack of depth on the wings.
I'm hopeful Archie will step up as Forsyth fades out of the team. If he had chosen to continue playing on the wing for the U23s he would have most likely been involved in the first team squad by now. But, he wants to be a LB/LWB.
LThompson is the one I'm most looking forward to seeing make the step up but is in the most crowded position.

12 hours ago, IslandExile said:

I thought Cresswell had already said his 'goodbyes'.

12 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Still contracted until the end of the month I believe

These two could, and most likely are, both true.

44 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Very poor game Ireland were losing 2-0 when I stopped watching late in 2nd half . Ebolese booked wrongly and had 1 long run , Watson not really involved  but none of the Irish lads were to be fair . Easy day for the Swiss.

Thought Louie looked a bit more involved when the first lot of subs led to a switch in position played - more through the middle? Festy looks tired but linked up well with Watson on occasions. There wasn't much football played by either team tbf.