Academy Thread 20/21

Ghost of Clough

56 minutes ago, angieram said:

If I have a plea to the club at the moment, it is to give us better match reports on the academy games with full team news, starting 11 and subs. 

Without being there and with no access to the teamsheets we picked up at games it is really difficult to keep track of the young players. 

There are so many people associated with the club pitchside on matchdays it wouldn't be too much to ask, would it? I noticed Waggy was loitering at the Moor Farm game - good to see by the way - maybe he could diversify a little? ?

A little bit of commentary on the highlights would be nice too, like they do with the goals on the Quest highlights show.

The only U18 player I can ever pick out is Cybulski ?

So after a dodgy start the u23's turned in a very savvy performance to dispatch Liverpool u23s 2-1.

Quick recap (although @angieramwill do it better), Liverpool started very strongly and went ahead in the first ten minutes with a stunning free kick from Jake Cain.  There were no over age players from either team but Liverpool did play Ben Woodburn who has 10 full Wales caps (and 2 goals) and has appeared 6 times for the Liverpool first team.  Bizarrely he's from Gumpland.  Even more bizarrely, Liverpool has a second Gumplander in Max Bearne.  For the first half hour they looked very accomplished.

But as time went on we grew into it, and our first attack saw Tyree Wilson drive down the right.  He cut the ball back, Ola Ibrahim faked a shot and the ball came to Shonibare who took a touch and curled it into the (nearly) the top right corner.

Six minutes later Shonibare broke free and took the ball from near the half way line into the box only to be denied by a last ditch tackle by the Liverpool right back.  Unfortunately the ball fell into the path of Jack Stretton who volleyed home emphatically.

From there, Liverpool had the ball and we had the better chances on the counter attack.  For a young side Derby were very disciplined.

Man of the match was Shonibare.  On the basis of his performance and his Rams TV interview this week, where he talked about the benefits of being involved with first team training, I'd keep him around the place.

Other thoughts include that all of the front three (Wilson, Stretton and Shonibare) are pacy, talented and will forge careers in football.  And on pace, Wilson appeared different level and put in hell of a shift defensively.

Further back, no one played poorly.  Bateman playing at CDM did very well and Harrison Solomon is going all the way.  At 17 years old he was immense.

And finally?  Archie.  Was a Rolls Royce of a performance.  For those who aren't too familiar with him he is the sort of player who looks as if he's doing everything slower than everyone else while actually being quicker than anyone else.  For cricket fans he's a Malcolm Marshall of a player.  Playing at left back there were several occasions where he kept the ball in play where it defied logic.  Occasions where he went past players, or played little through balls that he had no right to.

I said a few weeks ago that Archie has to take inspiration from Sibley, and his progress last season.  He is tall, physical and technical and I am desperate for him to succeed.  On the left of a front three he could develop into an absolute monster.  It really is all down to him and his work effort from here on in.

Edited by Will Hughes Hair

8 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Brilliant effort, @Will Hughes Hair. How did Ibrahim look?

He did okay against tough opposition (I think quite few of the Liverpool team had been part of part of the FA Youth Cup winning team of 2019).  He was subbed second half, partially because we were adopting a more defensive shape, partially because Stretton, Wilson and Shonibare had better games, and partially because he's so young that they were easing him to playing at this level.

40 minutes ago, Stuniverse said:

I've not been able to find anything on the official site yet about the U18s 3-2 win away at Middlesbrough, but I have found this:

https://int.soccerway.com/matches/2020/09/19/england/premier-academy-league/middlesbrough-fc-under-18-academy/Derby-county-fc-under-18-academy/3369363/

Good to see our new Polish youth striker, Bartosz Cybulski, has received his first call-up to their U19s. Looks tall but skillful in the clips I've seen. With numbers growing, is Poland to become the new Croatia for Rams fans?

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2020/09/cybulski-receives-poland-under-19s-call-up

3 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Good to see our new Polish youth striker, Bartosz Cybulski, has received his first call-up to their U19s. Looks tall but skillful in the clips I've seen. With numbers growing, is Poland to become the new Croatia for Rams fans?

He is one I'm excited about, mainly because of the fact we have Bielik and now Jozwiak who will help him along.

Also, from what I've seen of Cybulski he looks like a Polish crouch, both how he looks and plays.

Edited by MackworthRamIsGod

2 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Is their kit as iconic though?

16 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

This was an article from October last year. A little bit on the Polish national setup scouting the UK for youth talents

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/poland-football-euro-2020-scouting-network-uk-bartosz-cybulski-348993