Team for next season?

IslandExile

19 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Don't you think Holmes being more than ordinary at least since restart 'lets the side down'? He's not good enough for where he's played.

Holmes looks like he partied very hard during lockdown and Philip Cocu found him asleep in his wheelie bin 10 minutes before kick off, I keep expecting to see a twig and discarded tampon wrapper in his hair.

I'm sure he didnt party hard, I'm sure he looked after himself, but he certainly isnt the same Holmes from earlier in the season.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New 

Bogle   Dutch CB New  Lowe

Bird Rooney 

New Sibley  Lawrence

New

I reckon Martin will leave and Waghorn for me isn't quite good enough in front of goal Preston chance and stoke early on the season case in point , Marriott is too injury prone and doesn't suit slow football. Would sell Jozefoon and Malone and loan out Whittaker, Buchanan and Ingram. Not seen Whittaker in the under 23s, but he doesn't look good enough for championship football as yet, touch is sloppy and he doesn't make the right decisions.

31 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Don't you think Holmes being more than ordinary at least since restart 'lets the side down'? He's not good enough for where he's played.

Maybe, but it’s not in the same sense. It’s not Holmes’ fault that he’s been out of form since the break. It is Lawrence’s fault that he acted like a child and got himself banned for three games.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Just my opinion, I don't think Martin will be with us next season.

No others are out of contract (Anya and Huddlestone already expired).

Sibley, Lawrence and Waghorn are all capable of 15 a season. Marriott would score a decent amount when fully fit too.

Marriott I agree IF fully fit ever. Lawrence has not scored 15 yet, but potential yes. Sibley maybe 15, he is young so will be inconsistent and we need to be patient with him. Waghorn, not for me, seems a nice bloke and committed but an awful finisher 

29 minutes ago, nottingram said:

The squad remains very unbalanced, with an abundance of players most proficient in that midfield 3. Bielik, Bird, Rooney, Sibley, Knight, Holmes at the very least, I may well have missed others.

I think one of Bielik or Bird will have to drop back to play centre back, more likely Bielik but I do wonder if Bird would be capable? Has played there for the youth teams, is filling out nicely and crucially is left footed for a bit of balance and is composed on the ball. Might not work but I’m just thinking out loud. 

GK New

Bogle, te Wierik, Bird, Lowe

Bielik, Rooney 

RW New, Sibley, Lawrence

CF New

Waghorn and Marriott could fill the RW and CF spots if needed, but it’s clear the most pressing concern would be a goalkeeper. An exciting RW would also be nice, if we had managed to get Diamgana last summer for instance I believe our side would have been transformed. 

Having options in the attacking positions is also crucial. Think back to Mac 1 where we had two excellent wingers for each side in Dawkins, Ward, Russell and Bamford all of which offered different things for different situations. Now we have one proper winger (and Josefzoon)

Bird is our best midfielder - there's no chance we're moving him in to defence. His awareness as a DM is top notch, but nowhere near as a CB. He would be bullied in the air.

3 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Marriott I agree IF fully fit ever. Lawrence has not scored 15 yet, but potential yes. Sibley maybe 15, he is young so will be inconsistent and we need to be patient with him. Waghorn, not for me, seems a nice bloke and committed but an awful finisher 

Another season of improvement under Cocu and i'd back him to reach 15, especially if we improve in other areas of the pitch. Sibley similar.
Waghorn's scored 12 this season whilst playing a lot of that on the wing and a lack of creativity in midfield for the first half of the season. He also scored 16 when at Ipswich so he's certainly capable of it.

58 minutes ago, DCFC4LIFE said:

New

Bogle      Te Wierik     Bielik     Lowe

Rooney     Bird

New              Sibley           Lawrence 

New

I think this is close to what I would go with.

A Jiminez style centre forward and someone rapid on the right. A new goalkeeper is a given (no pun in intended).

A mixture of youth and even younger players plus anyone with experience as subs. We are looking caught between two stones, youth not ready to storm the league and experienced players not powerful or fast enough to storm the league. Cannot help saying that whoever is organising the defence is leaving a bit to be desired. I saw Wolves defending in their box which they are not noted for, but can do, although Egan scored a great last minute header against them.

Change of system,

GK

BIELIK   TE WIERIK   NEW (CLARKE?)

BOGLE    BIRD   ROONEY   SHINNIE    LOWE

SIBLEY/LAWRENCE 

NEW/MARRIOTT

Would potentially sell Bogle if decent offer comes in and play Wisdom at right wing back.

44 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Bielik is right footed - our defence would be so out of kilter with him there.

Rooney has to play deep.

1 x GK
1 x CB
1 x Winger
1 x Striker

That would make me happy. 

So

1 X happy rammieib.

27 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Bird is our best midfielder - there's no chance we're moving him in to defence. His awareness as a DM is top notch, but nowhere near as a CB. He would be bullied in the air.

You’re probably right. My worry is that Cocu prefers a right and left footer at CB, and as an expensive signing I believe Bielik will play. Just don’t want Bird to get swallowed up in that.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

He's not good enough full stop.

Never have quite understood the love shown to Holmes to be honest. I do not wish him ill, and he can catch the eye as he runs with the ball, but the lad simply does not have a 'football brain'. His decision-making and/or execution is shockingly poor.

Mason Bennett is a better bet than Holmes - but he's not promotion team material either sadly.

2 minutes ago, StarterForTen said:

Never have quite understood the love shown to Holmes to be honest. I do not wish him ill, and he can catch the eye as he runs with the ball, but the lad simply does not have a 'football brain'. His decision-making and/or execution is shockingly poor.

Mason Bennett is a better bet than Holmes - but he's not promotion team material either sadly.

I would agree Holmes flatters to deceive and isn't as good as some people make out but he isn't a bad player, saying he is worse than Bennett is too far.

I still think Phil's preferred formation is 4-3-3. He only switched to a 4-2-3-1 when he realised he didn't have the players for it. 

New

Bogle    Bielik     ter Wierik    Lowe

Bird

Rooney    Sibley

Waghorn       New        Lawrence 

Subs: Roos, Wisdom, Forsyth, Shinnie, Evans, Knight, Holmes, New Winger, Marriott

Release/sell: Jozefzoon, Bennett, Davies, Malone, Martin

2 hours ago, rammieib said:

Bielik is right footed - our defence would be so out of kilter with him there.

Rooney has to play deep.

1 x GK
1 x CB
1 x Winger
1 x Striker

That would make me happy. 

If we could get our money back foe Bielik I would sell him - we need to spend it elsewhere 

1 hour ago, StarterForTen said:

Bennett better than Holmes? Give over.

1 hour ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

I would agree Holmes flatters to deceive and isn't as good as some people make out but he isn't a bad player, saying he is worse than Bennett is too far.

Really ? Why ? - I know it’s all personal opinion but for me Holmes is very good when running at opponents in their half but apart from that there not much else and Bennett has that plus the defensive ability and links up well with Bogle and he is more likely to score a goal in my opinion but hey ho - now for the cost of both of them I think we have good value if they were ever fit ! 

now Beilik has been a big disappointment for me this season considering the money we reportedly paid 

Almost all of our best signings in the last 10+ years have been cheap or free, maybe a handful like Vydra/Ince (even that is debatable). 

Cocu has already shown he's watching for freebies from Europe, expect a couple more of the same over the summer 

2 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Holmes looks like he partied very hard during lockdown and Philip Cocu found him asleep in his wheelie bin 10 minutes before kick off, I keep expecting to see a twig and discarded tampon wrapper in his hair.

I'm sure he didnt party hard, I'm sure he looked after himself, but he certainly isnt the same Holmes from earlier in the season.

Holmes looks a different player playing centrally...not a winger for me

2 hours ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Not seen Whittaker in the under 23s, but he doesn't look good enough for championship football as yet

I've seen Whittaker plenty of times the U23s/U19s/U18s and he has real class.

It's not a question of not being good enough, he needs time to sharpen up to the speed of the game at this level that's all.

Think back to Max Bird's early appearances, he was written off by some on here too, and he's now learned this level without needing a loan.

Archived