Team for next season?

IslandExile

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

This season I would be similarly minded, but would that be the case with a dominant keeper and centre halves next season?

If we retain Clarke, I could also see a variant on 5-3-2 as Plan B (or C) where Bogle and Lowe would be integral to the system.

I think the perfect solution would be Bielik at DM, slotting in to the CB position when Lowe and Bogle push forward.

30 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

The problem is we have 3 left senior LB's+ Buchanen and they all aren't good enough. We could sign a new LB and potentially be stuck with 5 LB's.

Ideally I'd sell Forsyth + Malone and sign Morgan Fox on a free transfer as well as keep Lowe and Buchanen as backup because at least those to still have room to improve. But I doubt this could happen.

It's all about opinions isn't it?  But for me Lowe, is a better footballer, one on one defender, is younger and more versatile than Morgan Fox.  Fox does offer additional height but so does Fozzy, so I'm not sure what we gain?

I agree that we already need to off load Malone but why complicate that in a difficult market by trying to offload Fozzy too?  Efforts and funds need to be concentrated elsewhere for me.  Perhaps on signing Meghan Fox.

GK: New/Roos.    

LB: Lowe/Forsyth

CB: Te Wierik/Wisdom

CB: New/Davies

RB: Bogle/Wisdom

CDM: Bird/Bielik

CDM: Rooney/Shinnie

CAM: Sibley/Holmes

LW: Lawrence/New

RW: New/Knight

ST: Waghorn/New

Sell: Jozefzoon/Evans/Bennett/Malone/Marriott/Carson/Mitchell

On 09/07/2020 at 04:40, IslandExile said:

Mix of youth and experience, academy players and new signings, loans and free transfers...

???

Wisdom. te Wierik. Bielik  ???

Bird.      Rooney

???            Sibley.     Lawrence

???

Maybe Hart in goal, the free agent full back from Wednesday at left back. Martin, Marriott and Waghorn sharing the centre forward role.

I'm not convinced that team would be good enough for automatic promotion.

The key would be who we could find to play right wing/attacking midfielder. They would have to be a talented, consistent, creative player.

Jesus NOT Hart, he's as bad as the two clowns we have now.  The most overrated goalkeeper ever 

Finally getting around to thinking about this properly

GK - NEW (desperately) + don't care

RB - Bogle

LB - Lowe + Fozzy

CB - Te Wierik, Davies, Wisdom + Evans

CM - Rooney, Bird, Bielik, Sibley, Holmes, Shinnie,

Inside FWs - Lawrence, Waggers, Knight + NEW (maybe 2 of these if we can)

ST - Marriott + (hopefully) Martin

Plus any extra YOUF players who break through if needed / they prove decent

Malone, FloJo, Bennett and Roos to go

I think we're close to having a really decent team - I don't think a lot of change is needed - We make too many mistakes which I'm hoping is about time and training - A bit more speed of play (which I also hope can be coached / will come over time) -

And then we desperately need another couple of attacking players who can break down sides who play two lines of defence - I'd like to see us get 2 of those cos we've been super exposed on that side when we don't have Lawrence AND Waggers on the pitch - Teams know we're going to aim down one side of the pitch - Knight is great but he doesn't beat a man like Waggers or Lawrence can

...............................New...............................

..............Wisdom...te Wierik...New.............

Bogle...................................................Lowe

.................Beilik................Bird.....................

.............................Sibley...............................

....................Marriott......New........................

BENCH

New

Forsyth

Evans

Rooney

Shinnie

Lawrence

Waghorn

New striker needs to be big and mobile. Waghorn in for Marriott if form and fitness don't improve quickly. Happy for the new CB to be Clarke. Rooney to cover all three midfield positions. Forsyth, Lawrence, Evans and Shinnie can provide a decent bench and cover for most injuries/suspensions.

1 hour ago, CornwallRam said:

...............................New...............................

..............Wisdom...te Wierik...New.............

Bogle...................................................Lowe

.................Beilik................Bird.....................

.............................Sibley...............................

....................Marriott......New........................

I like this formation and line up but I'm not sure Cocu will go 3-5-2.

Others have said he prefers 4-2-3-1 but I don't think that's true. It's fallen into that with the players we have available. When he first arrived his stated preference was 4-3-3.

I don't know whether the front three is a centre forward and two wingers -or- a front two with a number 10 in the 'hole'.

I genuinely think we're only 4/5 additions away from having a very good squad.

GKs: New (Steffen?), Roos, Ravas

RBs: Bogle, Wisdom

CBs: te Wierik, Evans, New (Clarke?), Davies

LBs: Lowe, Forsyth

RMs: New (Man?, Chong?), Whittaker

CMs: Knight, Rooney, Bielik, Bird, Sibley, Shinnie

LMs: Lawrence, Holmes

STs: New (Woodrow?, Lammers?), Martin, Marriott, Waghorn

Youths to provide backup.

We need at least 2 wingers, not necessarily big names or signings, but we need options. Lawrence is the only player in the squad that you would argue plays there as his preferred position - even that’s up for debate. Jozefzoon, too, but he’s finished here. Anya 2.0. Holmes, Knight, Whittaker and Waghorn have all played there and all prefer to play more centrally. 

I feel we will sell one of Bird, Knight or Sibley this summer to enable further investment. 

A goalkeeper is obviously needed, along with possibly a striker. The defence I’d imagine would like to be upgraded but I just don’t know if our budget is going to stretch when we have so many more pressing options. 

It all depends on how the FFP legal battle falls out - perhaps we start next year 12 or more points behind everyone else. It effectively kills our season off before it’s begun. Signing players of any sort of stature isn’t possible. We could perhaps, in that case, hit the loan market hard where players have no long term commitment to us as a club. 

As the offseasons go, this is going to be absolutely the hardest to navigate. Limited time to make decisions and clubs losing money. Birmingham still got 20+ million for Bellingham, which gives me a slither of hope that the market isn’t crashing around us, but I feel uncomfortable at the thought of anyone bidding 8+ million for any of our younger players at the moment.  

Archived