IslandExile

2 hours ago, DCFC1976 said:

Change of system,

GK

BIELIK   TE WIERIK   NEW (CLARKE?)

BOGLE    BIRD   ROONEY   SHINNIE    LOWE

SIBLEY/LAWRENCE 

NEW/MARRIOTT

Would potentially sell Bogle if decent offer comes in and play Wisdom at right wing back.

I like the look of that formation ????

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Really ? Why ? - I know it’s all personal opinion but for me Holmes is very good when running at opponents in their half but apart from that there not much else and Bennett has that plus the defensive ability and links up well with Bogle and he is more likely to score a goal in my opinion but hey ho - now for the cost of both of them I think we have good value if they were ever fit ! 

now Beilik has been a big disappointment for me this season considering the money we reportedly paid 

Bielik I agree has been a rip off based upon how he has played so far, but hopefully he will show more next year he showed glimpses of quality. Bennett is not bad but not good enough to start for a team looking to be for me, doesn't have the end product or football brain. Holmes has had some good performances and isn't a bad player but if we are going to play the 4231 we are playing he can't play out wide or number 10 and he won't start as a deep player, he will only play much for us next season if we go for a 433.

39 minutes ago, Carnero said:

I've seen Whittaker plenty of times the U23s/U19s/U18s and he has real class.

Lots of the U23s have appeared to have real class over the years but few have made it. Whittaker needs to find something more, it might take a loan or it might take time, or it might not happen at all.

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Lots of the U23s have appeared to have real class over the years but few have made it. Whittaker needs to find something more, it might take a loan or it might take time, or it might not happen at all.

The ones who struggle to make the step up are usually the ones who rely on speed or strength. Whittaker isn't either of those. He's a technical player who needs time to adjust to the pace of the game at this level, and over time he'll naturally bulk up to hold off defenders as well. 

New, Roos, Ravas

Bogle/Wisdom, J.Brown, Ebosele 

Te Wierik, Wisdom, Davies

New(Clarke?)/Bielik, Evans 

Lowe, Buchanan, Fozzy 

Bird, Shinniesta, J.Brown

Rooney, Bielik, Knight, Holmes 

New/Waghorn, Whittaker, Holmes

Sibley, Lawrence, Knight, Holmes 

Lawrence/New?, Knight, Holmes

Martin/Marriott, Waghorn, Trialist 

Cocu surely has lot to do, our team is so far from balanced one for 4231. Even though we are surely gonna play with it, I'm toying with the idea of using the players at our disposal at maximum capacity....So don't take this too seriously, but I think it highlights how ridiculous amounts of CM's we have. And as we don't have players to the wing and our fullback are bit poo so welcome Hiddink's South Korea tactic from the 2002 World Cup!

Roos

Wisdom      Te Wierik     Bielik           

Bird         Shinnie       Rooney         

Holmes      Sibley        Knight

Waghorn

Evans could cover two rows, as could Bielik and JBrown as well. Actually, many of the players could play in different lines.

Some of you might notice that Bird and Rooney are on the "wrong" side comparing it to the preferred foot, but it helps to send proper diagonal balls for eager runners up front.

Good news is we're probably only 4 reliable starters away from being a nailed on top 6 side next season.

The 4 glaring areas are GK, CB, RW & CF. We clearly need a new keeper as unlikely to sign Hamer and Roos isnt seen as a number 1. Some posts on here angling for Joe Hart, I wouldnt be keen on this as a) he isnt capable of playing from the back in the way our style insists & b) his confidence seems shot. Id also rather have someone on the up than down.

CB we will be very short when Clarke returns to Brighton. We could do with some pace in there alongside Te Wierek but is crucial they can play. Wisdom & Evans as cover, both are capable.

RW is a real problem as other than Waghorn, no-one else has impressed there & we may need Waggy up top on occasions. Holmes isnt a winger and if Im honest, probably not good enough to start given his decision making & quality of delivery. Jozefzoon will probably leave us, just not shown anything to suggest he can be relied on. Lawrence is an enigma on the other wing but his talent is undoubted, he needs to stay.

The big question marks are over Bielik and Marriott. Both have talent but both seem out of kilter with this squad & style. If we could get decent money for either, I would take it. Bielik is far too rash & impetuous to be a CB & his pathway to centre midfield is blocked by Bird, Rooney and arguably Knight. Marriott is too unreliable injurywise, doesnt suit our style & seemingly has issues around his commitment.

We're still toothless at times up front so need one centre forward as a minimum, someone with pace to stretch the game & allow space for us to play but also intelligence and a decent touch would be a pre-requisite. If Martin goes, we need 2...re-signing Martin is inportant as he does very much suit Cocu's style. Im also assuming its too early for Hector-Ingram, Whitaker or Mitchell-Lawson to step up as CF starters...Cocu may have different thoughts on that though.

My ideal XI

GK to sign

RB Wisdom 1st choice/Bogle

LB Forsyth 1st choice/Lowe

CB Te Wierek

CB to sign

DM Bird

DM Rooney

LW Lawrence 

AM/10 Sibley

RW to sign/Waghorn as cover

CF to sign/Martin as cover

Midfield/defensive cover - Holmes, Shinnie, Knight, Evans

To leave - Bielik, Marriott, Jozefzoon, Bennett

We have very little finance coming in next season so we will need probably to sell one maybe two decent players for good money if we could get it so that means potentially Bogle and Lawrence which would mean we need a natural replacement so that means wisdom back to right back and someone new on the flank and in central defence. We need to keep Martin as we can’t really afford to buy a new forward and his season has proved his effectiveness with Cocu as manager 

Belick stated that he would leave if we didn’t look like getting promotion by the end of next season so I would sell him and get someone who wants to be part of the journey 

New

new or bogle.     Wisdom.       New.        Fozzy or lowe

Bird (if he stops facing his own goal)

new.               Knight.             Sibley.            New

New 

54 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

We have very little finance coming in next season so we will need probably to sell one maybe two decent players for good money if we could get it so that means potentially Bogle and Lawrence which would mean we need a natural replacement so that means wisdom back to right back and someone new on the flank and in central defence. We need to keep Martin as we can’t really afford to buy a new forward and his season has proved his effectiveness with Cocu as manager 

Belick stated that he would leave if we didn’t look like getting promotion by the end of next season so I would sell him and get someone who wants to be part of the journey 

trouble is, he's a crock and nobody will give us decent money based on what he's produced so far.

I think we may well be seeing 4-3-3 next season when Cocu has brought in some of his own players... something like this:

GK

Bogle, te Wierik, CB, Lowe

Knight, Rooney, Sibley

RW, ST, Lawrence

Meaning we'd possibly need 3/4 quality additions (loans or permanents) in the close season... the ST being dependent on whether Martin signs up or not.

2 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Good news is we're probably only 4 reliable starters away from being a nailed on top 6 side next season.

The 4 glaring areas are GK, CB, RW & CF. We clearly need a new keeper as unlikely to sign Hamer and Roos isnt seen as a number 1. Some posts on here angling for Joe Hart, I wouldnt be keen on this as a) he isnt capable of playing from the back in the way our style insists & b) his confidence seems shot. Id also rather have someone on the up than down.

CB we will be very short when Clarke returns to Brighton. We could do with some pace in there alongside Te Wierek but is crucial they can play. Wisdom & Evans as cover, both are capable.

RW is a real problem as other than Waghorn, no-one else has impressed there & we may need Waggy up top on occasions. Holmes isnt a winger and if Im honest, probably not good enough to start given his decision making & quality of delivery. Jozefzoon will probably leave us, just not shown anything to suggest he can be relied on. Lawrence is an enigma on the other wing but his talent is undoubted, he needs to stay.

The big question marks are over Bielik and Marriott. Both have talent but both seem out of kilter with this squad & style. If we could get decent money for either, I would take it. Bielik is far too rash & impetuous to be a CB & his pathway to centre midfield is blocked by Bird, Rooney and arguably Knight. Marriott is too unreliable injurywise, doesnt suit our style & seemingly has issues around his commitment.

We're still toothless at times up front so need one centre forward as a minimum, someone with pace to stretch the game & allow space for us to play but also intelligence and a decent touch would be a pre-requisite. If Martin goes, we need 2...re-signing Martin is inportant as he does very much suit Cocu's style. Im also assuming its too early for Hector-Ingram, Whitaker or Mitchell-Lawson to step up as CF starters...Cocu may have different thoughts on that though.

My ideal XI

GK to sign

RB Wisdom 1st choice/Bogle

LB Forsyth 1st choice/Lowe

CB Te Wierek

CB to sign

DM Bird

DM Rooney

LW Lawrence 

AM/10 Sibley

RW to sign/Waghorn as cover

CF to sign/Martin as cover

Midfield/defensive cover - Holmes, Shinnie, Knight, Evans

To leave - Bielik, Marriott, Jozefzoon, Bennett

I'd agree for the most part. Just a couple points: 

I do think the Bielik will grow into the role at Centre Back it's important to note he's still young, especially for a centre back. I think given time and coaching the rashness can be coached out of him. 

On Mariott I agree about style but I think there is some hope in that if he's been playing with that injury for large parts of the season it's hard to know for sure whether he fits in or not. He has actually got a good touch and when he does show for the ball he can use it pretty well, so again maybe he can be coached into the side with a season fully fit. The other side to look at this, currently I'd doubt we get many takers and it could well be worth keeping him as an option from the bench.

It's tricky when comes to strikers for a couple reasons. It somewhat depends on Martin but I think the bigger reason is that strikers are expensive. I think it's likely prohibitively expensive to bring in a striker that's materially better than what we have currently have especially considering it makes sense to spend a decent fee on a winger.

4 minutes ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

I think we may well be seeing 4-3-3 next season when Cocu has brought in some of his own players... something like this:

GK

Bogle, te Wierik, CB, Lowe

Knight, Rooney, Sibley

RW, ST, Lawrence

Meaning we'd possibly need 3/4 quality additions (loans or permanents) in the close season... the ST being dependent on whether Martin signs up or not.

If we were to do this, and I don’t necessarily disagree that we would, I think it would be with Rooney in one of the more advanced midfield positions and Bird / Bielik as the deepest. 

I believe I have read somewhere that this was the initial plan for Rooney’s arrival but it was complicated by several different factors as we know. 

Just hoping that whatever we do, Bird doesn’t get swallowed up.

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

Without a number of matches under his belt post-injury I don't see any club coming in for Bielik at anything near the fee we paid for him - even less so a PL club and who in the Championship will afford a decent fee other than those relegated from the PL with parachute payments to fall back on.

Some fans are too quick to get rid of players - he's only played 20 matches for us all said and done. If he shows a willingness to stay then I'm happy for him to be given next season to prove himself, after all he's still only 22. We're missing 2 qualities in the current squad - pace and power and Bielik is certainly capable of providing the latter.

1 hour ago, Wolfie20 said:

Without a number of matches under his belt post-injury I don't see any club coming in for Bielik at anything near the fee we paid for him - even less so a PL club and who in the Championship will afford a decent fee other than those relegated from the PL with parachute payments to fall back on.

Some fans are too quick to get rid of players - he's only played 20 matches for us all said and done. If he shows a willingness to stay then I'm happy for him to be given next season to prove himself, after all he's still only 22. We're missing 2 qualities in the current squad - pace and power and Bielik is certainly capable of providing the latter.

Absolutely but he has to be committed 

5 hours ago, RamNut said:

New

new or bogle.     Wisdom.       New.        Fozzy or lowe

Bird (if he stops facing his own goal)

new.               Knight.             Sibley.            New

New 

You don’t fancy the new Dutch defender that we have signed then ?

Stefan

Bogle   Bielik   Te Weirik    Lowe

Rooney   Bird

Romero   Sibley   Ibe

Martin

Roos

Ebosole  Wisdom  Evans   Forsyth

Brown  Knight

Waghorn   Holmes   Mitchell-Lawson

Davis

5 hours ago, brady1993 said:

I'd agree for the most part. Just a couple points: 

I do think the Bielik will grow into the role at Centre Back it's important to note he's still young, especially for a centre back. I think given time and coaching the rashness can be coached out of him. 

On Mariott I agree about style but I think there is some hope in that if he's been playing with that injury for large parts of the season it's hard to know for sure whether he fits in or not. He has actually got a good touch and when he does show for the ball he can use it pretty well, so again maybe he can be coached into the side with a season fully fit. The other side to look at this, currently I'd doubt we get many takers and it could well be worth keeping him as an option from the bench.

It's tricky when comes to strikers for a couple reasons. It somewhat depends on Martin but I think the bigger reason is that strikers are expensive. I think it's likely prohibitively expensive to bring in a striker that's materially better than what we have currently have especially considering it makes sense to spend a decent fee on a winger.

All fair points.

Whilst I don't disagree that Bielik has the physical tools to be a CB, his biggest weakness is mentality. Yes, he's only 22 but realistically is that something that is going to be coached in the time we need him to be a top 6 Championship standard CB? My instinct says no, it'd be a year or so minimum before we could rely on him for 40 odd games & therefore as we have plenty of CMs & he is a saleable asset, believe its worth cashing in now to fund issues elsewhere.

Regarding strikers, I don't believe we'd be in the market for anyone proven as we probably couldn't afford them - more a punt on someone who has lost their way/a loan option or a late bloomer - someone like Lyle Taylor (not him specifically as he's off to Rangers). I'm loathe to see purchases if solutions exist within the squad but I think we need strikers who are comfortable with their back to goal - Marriott doesn't suit that profile & he doesn't appear that motivated here, which in turn would impact on his willingness to convert to a different type of forward.

41 minutes ago, sage said:

Stefan

Bogle   Bielik   Te Weirik    Lowe

Rooney   Bird

Romero   Sibley   Ibe

Martin

Roos

Ebosole  Wisdom  Evans   Forsyth

Brown  Knight

Waghorn   Holmes   Mitchell-Lawson

Davis

That's a bold strategy. Sign the Man Utd reserve goalkeeper and stick him wide right.  I like it.

Archived