Team for next season?

IslandExile

I have had a re-think, maybe driven by disappointment at the way the season petered out.

I have loved Chris Martin but, as with Thorne, it's time to move on.

Rooney is a class act and his composure and passing has been a joy.

Forsyth and Davies have been great servants.

But dynamic, pass and move football, at pace, is the way forward.

???/Roos

Bogle. TeWierik. ???? Lowe

Bird.      Bielik

???            Sibley.     Lawrence

Marriott

I'd like us to keep Clarke or, if possible, get Tomori back.

Roos is no worse than the majority of championship keepers but we need someone else. Depends who we get that determines who becomes first choice.

I thought we'd be selling Bogle to raise funds but I doubt we'd get much in the current market. He's not had the best year but he's only 19. He will become a fantastic fullback.

Wisdom will cover right back and central defence.

Bird and Bielik will provide defensive cover and with good passing - which will have to be forward if there isn't Rooney to always go through.

A fully fit Marriott will get goals galore.

Key to all of this is a creative, pacey right winger/attacking midfielder.

COYR ? 

Edited because my only fear in that line up is that I don't see enough vocal leaders on the pitch.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

I have had a re-think, maybe driven by disappointment at the way the season petered out.

???/Roos

Bird.      Bielik

Marriott

Roos is no worse than the majority of championship keepers but we need someone else. Depends who we get that determines who becomes first choice.

I thought we'd be selling Bogle to raise funds but I doubt we'd get much in the current market. He's not had the best year but he's only 19. He will become a fantastic fullback.

Bird and Bielik will provide defensive cover and with good passing - which will have to be forward if there isn't Rooney to always go through.

COYR ? 

Edited because my only fear in that line up is that I don't see enough vocal leaders on the pitch.

Not sure Lowe is the answer at left back and don’t think Jack can play as the lone striker...

2 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Not sure Lowe is the answer at left back and don’t think Jack can play as the lone striker...

Agreed but I'm afraid there won't be much funds to bring in better quality.

I mentioned in my original post that we were linked with Wednesday's left back who is available on a free.

Quality centre forwards are even more difficult to find. I do think Marriott can score/perform better than he has this season, but he would need support from midfield runners like Sibley.

13 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

???/Roos

Bird.      Bielik

Marriott

COYR ? 

Marriott?

He's never going to fit into a cocu team mate as our main striker.

He needs to move on to be honest,to a team that suits him.

1 minute ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Marriott?

He's never going to fit into a cocu team mate as our main striker.

He needs to move on to be honest,to a team that suits him.

Maybe... but you don't always need a big one up front (cue: ooh matron).

Mobility, fast passing, sharp interplay, snap finishing.

Could Marriott and Sibley be our new Goddard and Saunders?

17 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

???/Roos

Bird.      Bielik

Marriott

Marriott as a lone striker.... can't see that working. Not strong enough, quick enough or fit enough to do it. 

1 minute ago, IslandExile said:

Maybe... but you don't always need a big one up front (cue: ooh matron).

Mobility, fast passing, sharp interplay, snap finishing.

Could Marriott and Sibley be our new Goddard and Saunders?

See andiciis explanation above bit I suspect not.

I like him as a different type of striker but to be honest he needs a big man to play off..that's always been his most productive position.

I would have thought he would have flourished with Martin given more time together but that hasn't worked out up to now.

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

Marriott as a lone striker.... can't see that working. Not strong enough, quick enough or fit enough to do it. 

Appreciate the point you and others make. I kinda agree.

How about more of a 4-4-2, depending on who we bring in to play on the right. Then push Sibley up to play alongside Marriott. As I said in the previous post, doesn't have to be a 'classic' big centre forward.

1 minute ago, IslandExile said:

Appreciate the point you and others make. I kinda agree.

How about more of a 4-4-2, depending on who we bring in to play on the right. Then push Sibley up to play alongside Marriott. As I said in the previous post, doesn't have to be a 'classic' big centre forward.

I just don't think you can rely on Marriott. He's never been fit enough to play consecutive games at Derby. We need a CF we can rely on, in my opinion. 

Just now, Andicis said:

I just don't think you can rely on Marriott. He's never been fit enough to play consecutive games at Derby. We need a CF we can rely on, in my opinion. 

Fair enough. I'm just not sure where we'll find one of sufficient quality. Let's hope we do.

What we need next season is the same thing we've needed for 5 years, Full backs who can stop crosses and wide men who can beat a player at pace and cross a bloody ball on a regular basis without the obsession of one player doing both . We could also do with bit of a battering ram with  a bit of mobility in the Jerome mould for certain games. 

?

Bogle - Te Wierik - ? - Lowe

Bird

Sibley - ?

? - ? - Lawrence

We need a minimum of five players for me. More if we are going to improve the squad as a whole.

I think we need to learn from recent weeks and follow the template of the very top teams in the division and move to a 4-3-3 / 4-1-2-3 over time.

None of the top teams set up in the way we do. They have one midfielder to sit, two quick and dangerous wingers, an athletic and mobile forward to lead the line, and then two midfielders to push forward and make things happen either through midfield running or passing through the lines.

Bird and Rooney as a midfield two is just not necessary when one midfielder to sit will do.

Essentially we need to mould Bird to do the kind of job Phillips, Livermore, Reed and Norgaard are doing for their teams currently, allowing the forward players to flourish.

It might take him a year or two to grow into such a role of responsibility but the qualities are there.

27 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Essentially we need to mould Bird to do the kind of job Phillips, Livermore, Reed and Norgaard are doing for their teams currently, allowing the forward players to flourish.

Or just get Bielik to do it

4 hours ago, Andicis said:

Pukki is weak, slow and stamina for 60 minutes of football. But he's alright as a lone striker. 

But I agree with you, Marriott is not  a lone for me either. 

NEW KEEPER

BOGLE   WISDOM   TE WIERIK.  LOWE

ROONEY    BIRD

NEW WINGER    SIBLEY   NEW WINGER 

MARRIOTT

Would hope for 2 wingers with pace to be brought in. We have to become more dynamic in the final third and will be a different side with 2 x new wingers and a fully fit Marriott.

Others in Squad and in contention for 11: Bielik, Forsyth, Knight, Roos, Waghorn, Shinnie, Holmes, Davies

As well as new players needed in lineup above, a Left Sided CB is needed on loan or permanent. Tomori would be first choice but probably no chance, so Clarke would be a good signing again.

Think it is time for the following players to leave:

- Jozefzoon: Not going to work for him at the club. Plays with no confidence and needs a move to try and resurrect his career

- Evans: Filled in well at CB, but he would be 4th choice at best there next season. Not good enough in midfield. Would rather have a youth team player in the squad in his role

- Malone: Now good enough and wages could be better used elsewhere

- Lawrence: Granted he has had a decent season, but out of all the players we could get a substantial fee for, he is the one I would let go to help fund other signings, rather than one of our prized youngsters. He's an enigma and on his day can be a match winner, but far too inconsistent & petulant. Think a move would do him good too.

- Martin: Done really well when asked upon this season, but the last few games with him leading the line has reminded me far too much of the end of the Mac 2 era far too much. While his link up play is fantastic, we just don't look like scoring when he is in the side leading the line in the majority of games. We become far too predictable to play against. He has been a fantastic player for the club but the time is right to say goodbye.

New gk

Wisdom    Clarke   te wierik

Bogle            bird    bielik           lowe

Sibley        Lawrence 

Waghorn/Marriott 

Archived