Team for next season?

IslandExile

Mix of youth and experience, academy players and new signings, loans and free transfers...

???

Wisdom. te Wierik. Bielik  ???

Bird.      Rooney

???            Sibley.     Lawrence

???

Maybe Hart in goal, the free agent full back from Wednesday at left back. Martin, Marriott and Waghorn sharing the centre forward role.

I'm not convinced that team would be good enough for automatic promotion.

The key would be who we could find to play right wing/attacking midfielder. They would have to be a talented, consistent, creative player.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GK: Xxxx, Roos/Ravas
RB: Bogle, Wisdom
CB: Wisdom, Te Wierik, Evans
CB: Xxxx, Davies
LB: Lowe, Fozzy, Buchanan
DM: Bird, Evans, Bielik, JBrown
DM: Rooney, Shinnie
AM: Sibley, Holmes, Knight
RW: Xxxx, Waghorn, Whittaker
LW: Lawrence, Knight
CF: Waghorn, Marriott, Trialist

Martin won’t renew. Carson, Mitchell, Malone, Jozefzoon, Bennett to leave.

If those three xxxxx positions have quality recruited into them - we could have an exceptional team next season.

Hart on a free, Ibe on a free and Matt Clarke back on loan?

Perhaps could even afford to splash a big fee on a new striker?

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Is that the thinking re Martin? Is it because the offer is too low? 

Which of the others you mention are out of contract?

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

So many free transfers available for next season so it’s a very difficult to know 

if we could get Hart as goalkeeper I would be delighted, Evans I would sell if we could but we couldn’t I suspect as he is no starting centre half and we have plenty better as DCM. I think Whittaker needs a loan out for at least 6 months, Lawrence we might sell if we need the money or possibly Bogle and I hope we can keep Martin as we need options up front and I would add that Bennett can cover all three positions up front. Yes we need a new winger but only if they are any good but we might need to replace Lawrence if we sell and we need a real centre half established for the championship to go along with the new Dutch lad - I have a gut feeling that we sign another Dutch lad so that we can have a new double Dutch of players ( Roos doesn’t count)

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

That’s a poor attacking threat imo. Apart from Lawrence and Sibley (and I suppose Marriott if he can string more that 3 games together) it’s pretty toothless and we won’t be challenging top 6 with it . For me other than a GK this is where Cocu needs to spend his time, effort and whatever of the clubs cash he gets on.

Cocu said in his interview that the squad is thin so maybe he intends to buy a few this summer

Be interesting to see if any young lads start banging the first team door down early next season like sibley and bird earlier on in this one

See no reason why bogle and Lowe can’t be our first team full backs (unless bogle is sold ?)

Marriott to score 30 goals next season 

36 minutes ago, Rampant said:

Is that the thinking re Martin? Is it because the offer is too low? 

Which of the others you mention are out of contract?

Just my opinion, I don't think Martin will be with us next season.

No others are out of contract (Anya and Huddlestone already expired).

18 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

That’s a poor attacking threat imo. Apart from Lawrence and Sibley (and I suppose Marriott if he can string more that 3 games together) it’s pretty toothless and we won’t be challenging top 6 with it . For me other than a GK this is where Cocu needs to spend his time, effort and whatever of the clubs cash he gets on.

Sibley, Lawrence and Waghorn are all capable of 15 a season. Marriott would score a decent amount when fully fit too.

17 minutes ago, Jram said:

Cocu said in his interview that the squad is thin so maybe he intends to buy a few this summer

Be interesting to see if any young lads start banging the first team door down early next season like sibley and bird earlier on in this one

See no reason why bogle and Lowe can’t be our first team full backs (unless bogle is sold ?)

Marriott to score 30 goals next season 

You probably need to erase the bit that says BUY and replace it with SIGN as I can’t see any championship club paying transfer fees apart from the soon to be relegated ones and probably Norwich wouldn’t either 

3/4 new wingers on loans until the end of  ext season. Doesn’t matter if they’re inconsistent one of them will provide goals. It’s what WBA had over us yesterday. That was the difference. We have a really good spine of the team now with what we have, just need to flair on the wings and we’ll walk to title next year. 

New

Bogle Te-Weirik Clarke Lowe

Bird Bielik

Holmes Rooney New

New

That looks a lot better, but I’m still not sure it’ll be quite enough for top 6. Hopefully we can keep Clarke, then I think him and Te Weirik will form a better CB partnership than we’ve had since Keogh’s sacking. GK is the other obvious one, we need someone in there that the defence can trust - that will make a huge difference imo, especially if he can distribute well and suits our style of play. Beyond that, we need more quality in the final third. Hopefully we can find a proper top quality wide man with some end product to help in that respect. I also think having a faster striker than Martin playing off Rooney will give us a better balance to the side, so we have more variety to our game and can play in behind as well as passing in front of the opposition. Will make us more of a threat on the counter too. Exactly who will fill any of those new roles though, I have no idea.

I’m still not convinced it’s quite enough though. There’s still major question marks over Bogle defensively, and while I think Te-Weirik and Clarke will be a more solid CB partnership, there’s still a lack of pace there. Holmes’ end product isn’t really good enough either, but I can’t see us having the funds to bring in two wingers in one window. Really the poor recruitment over the last season has left us with so much work to do that’s it unrealistic to manage it all within one season. I think next year will be more about showing a bit more consistency in our performances, then we can hopefully make a challenge at least the following season.

14 minutes ago, DCFC27 said:

3/4 new wingers on loans until the end of  ext season. Doesn’t matter if they’re inconsistent one of them will provide goals. It’s what WBA had over us yesterday. That was the difference. We have a really good spine of the team now with what we have, just need to flair on the wings and we’ll walk to title next year. 

This is pretty much it. 

8 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

New

Bogle Te-Weirik Clarke Lowe

Bird Bielik

Holmes Rooney New

New

That looks a lot better, but I’m still not sure it’ll be quite enough for top 6.

It looks better if you put Lawrence in for Holmes

Just now, Carnero said:

It looks better if you put Lawrence in for Holmes

It does in terms of quality, but I think I’m about done with Lawrence after that red. He’s too much of a liability in terms of his discipline. As Cocu alluded to the other day, we can’t have players letting the squad down in the way that he has done. I’d be surprised if he’s still here next season.

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

It does in terms of quality, but I think I’m about done with Lawrence after that red. He’s too much of a liability in terms of his discipline. As Cocu alluded to the other day, we can’t have players letting the squad down in the way that he has done. I’d be surprised if he’s still here next season.

Don't you think Holmes being more than ordinary at least since restart 'lets the side down'? He's not good enough for where he's played.

New

Bogle      Te Wierik     Bielik     Lowe

Rooney     Bird

New              Sibley           Lawrence 

New

The squad remains very unbalanced, with an abundance of players most proficient in that midfield 3. Bielik, Bird, Rooney, Sibley, Knight, Holmes at the very least, I may well have missed others.

I think one of Bielik or Bird will have to drop back to play centre back, more likely Bielik but I do wonder if Bird would be capable? Has played there for the youth teams, is filling out nicely and crucially is left footed for a bit of balance and is composed on the ball. Might not work but I’m just thinking out loud. 

GK New

Bogle, te Wierik, Bird, Lowe

Bielik, Rooney 

RW New, Sibley, Lawrence

CF New

Waghorn and Marriott could fill the RW and CF spots if needed, but it’s clear the most pressing concern would be a goalkeeper. An exciting RW would also be nice, if we had managed to get Diamgana last summer for instance I believe our side would have been transformed. 

Having options in the attacking positions is also crucial. Think back to Mac 1 where we had two excellent wingers for each side in Dawkins, Ward, Russell and Bamford all of which offered different things for different situations. Now we have one proper winger (and Josefzoon)

Archived