v Millwall (A) - Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

37 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Okay so putting my tin hat on. 

If he wasn't so commercially valuable, would the fat, post-lockdown Wayne Rooney be in our best eleven? 

Depends on mainly on fitness levels but he adds vital experience to the midfield. Took him a couple of games to adjust in January so it'll probably be the same now, but he can only overcome that rustiness by playing and a fully match fit Rooney gets a starting spot.

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Depends on mainly on fitness levels but he adds vital experience to the midfield. Took him a couple of games to adjust in January so it'll probably be the same now, but he can only overcome that rustiness by playing and a fully match fit Rooney gets a starting spot.

I'd agree, he has been earning his place.

29 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I would also add that his very presence and know how will give the rest of the playing squad an extra boost.

Roos

Bogle             Wisdom         Clarke         Forsyth

Rooney          Bird

Holmes                Lawrence             Waghorn

Martin

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

If he wasn't so commercially valuable, would the fat, post-lockdown Wayne Rooney be in our best eleven? 

Is it just a coincidence that since January when he started playing that we have turned in to the second best form team in the league from a relegation threatened outfit?

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

He has a presence on the pitch that very few have, both for our team and the opposition.

For our young lads, he leads by example, as he always worked hard in matches and has quality on the ball to match. For the opposition, if Wayne picks the ball up 30 yards out, do you think the defence and midfield can rest and stand off? Of course not, they are going to have to plan for him and have 1, even 2, players assigned to stopping him play. That's valuable tactics, as it gives our other options space to operate (Lawrence, Martin etc.)

I'm not sure what his fitness is like, but I can imagine there won't be many players in the opening weeks who are match fit and ready. He is one of the best passers even if he stood in the centre circle all game.

24 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Is it just a coincidence that since January when he started playing that we have turned in to the second best form team in the league from a relegation threatened outfit?

I'm not saying he's not a great asset. 

I'm just saying that right now he doesn't look fit and we have loads of midfield options. 

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

I'm not saying he's not a great asset. 

I'm just saying that right now he doesn't look fit and we have loads of midfield options. 

Bird's currently first choice DM, meaning Huddlestone and Evans are subs at best. Without Rooney, we'd have two from Holmes, Shinnie, Knight and Sibley to choose from. There's no doubting their ability, and Shinnie and Sibley works (as we saw vs Blackburn) but I have doubts over an extended run due to a lack of experience and the fieriness (tough tackling) of the pair. Rooney just adds so much more balance to the team. Worst case is that we sub him after 60 mins.

Hamer

Bogle   Wisdom Clarke Forsyth   

Bird.  Rooney 

waghorn   Sibley    Lawrence    

Martin 

subs Roos Shinnie Lowe Knight Davies Holmes Huddlestone  

decent side there and considering we are playing Millwall maybe wisdom to right back and Davies to start.

I've noticed a lot of people mentioning how the home advantage has gone. I think there has been 28 away wins to 11 home wins in the Bundesliga since the restart, I could be wrong but I'm sure I've read that somewhere. 

I wonder if we will see any effect in our games, hopefully this one since we've only won 3 games on the road all season. 

50 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I've noticed a lot of people mentioning how the home advantage has gone. I think there has been 28 away wins to 11 home wins in the Bundesliga since the restart, I could be wrong but I'm sure I've read that somewhere. 

I wonder if we will see any effect in our games, hopefully this one since we've only won 3 games on the road all season. 

Just had a little look at this and was a little surprised, I had been under the impression that the Bundesliga has relatively low home wins anyway. (Based on the 6 rounds prior to the suspension)

Bundesliga before lockdown = 31.44% home wins per round

Bundesliga after lockdown = 20.33% home wins per round

When actually it seems to be comparable to the championship (Based on the 6 rounds prior to the suspension)

Championship before lockdown = 34.75% home wins per round

So we might see a similar drop, but its worked out at 1 home win per round in the Bundesliga

I did this quickly so my numbers may be wrong 

Just to add, had a look at Bundesliga 2 which has seen little change and possibly an increase in home wins post lockdown

Bundesliga II before lockdown = 35.18% home wins per round

Bundesliga II after lockdown = 37.03% home wins per round

On 11/06/2020 at 22:07, Van der MoodHoover said:

Wasnt it our "experienced" players who kept getting dubbed 3-0 every time we went to the capital earlier in the season?

What the hell did you say that for? I was starting to get excited for the restart, then you just reminded me of that!

50 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Getting close now!

If we don't get a rallying cry soon, I fear an absolute mauling!

Come on @B4ev6is.  Let's be 'avin' you!  WHERE ARE YOU?  WHERE ARE YOU? 

Come on Derby go and beat millwall on saturday even none of will be there because flaming virua go and get into play offs and shut some of efl right up and some of champership clubs.

Hamer

Bogle           Wisdom         Clarke       Lowe

Bird            Rooney

Waghorn           Sibley                  Lawrence 

Martin

Archived