v Millwall (A) - Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

Sith Happens

tv connected up outside,  gazebo up because of bloody rain, dad on way for social distance match day

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Martin would absolutely be in my starting lineup every week.  But taking a step back, the games Martin struggles in are the games where opposing teams sit deep around him and he gets isolated.  Given we're up against Millwall, managed by Rowett, I can see the logic in the way we've set up.  Waghorn can go and work hard, be physical, compete in the air etc, and we've got 3 very mobile guys in behind him who can all get on the ball and run at them.

Pretty much the same lineup I was expecting. I think Waghorn's work rate could be ideal against Hutchinson and Cooper at the back; both strong, tall and good in the air, but not great with their feet, so hopefully Waggers will be pressing them every chance he gets when they have the ball!

If it's not working we always have CM19 to bring on at half time. COYR! ?

Sith Happens
7 minutes ago, Brummie Steve said:

Seriously strong Rams squad today!

let's hope the football is cheesy on the eyes

Didn't we score three goals in 30 minutes last time out away from home? Wasn't Martin leading the line and involved in all three goals?

I'm not saying Waghorn isn't as good. OK, I'm saying Waghorn isn't as good.

But maybe Cocu will get it right and Waghorn will be more suited to the robust opposition or maybe Waghorn has been on fire on training.

It's a big call. Fingers crossed.

12 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

No other senior strikers available, whereas you have Evans and Shinnie as midfield cover.

I reckon if our first game was at home Martin would be starting. Just seems that we’ve set up against a team like Millwall with the players necessary. 

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

To be fair we really don’t have any other strikers with Marriott out injured, so Martin has to be on the bench really whereas we have plenty of midfield cover so we can afford to leave Huddlestone out. I also get a feeling that Huddlestone will be more of a coach than a player if he signs a new deal, which wouldn’t be the case for Martin.

Agree on the second point btw, though I’d almost be half tempted to go the other way around - shows what I know!

Hector-Ingram could have been used on the bench, also have Whittikar. 

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

Didn't we score three goals in 30 minutes last time out away from home? Wasn't Martin leading the line and involved in all three goals?

I'm not saying Waghorn isn't as good. OK, I'm saying Waghorn isn't as good.

But maybe Cocu will get it right and Waghorn will be more suited to the robust opposition or maybe Waghorn has been on fire on training.

It's a big call. Fingers crossed.

Yes but it was 3 and a bit months ago. Fitness, form and streaks definitely don’t follow the last game for any team. 

Not picking a player who may not even be at the club in ten days time makes perfect sense to me

Lets hope he does agree a deal because he is a good player but it would be very strange to hang our hopes on him for a couple of games before we lose him

1 minute ago, ThePrisoner said:

I reckon if our first game was at home Martin would be starting. Just seems that we’ve set up against a team like Millwall with the players necessary. 

Maybe, but I’m not convinced. Also have to think fitness wise as well to be fair, I’d say Waghorn is more naturally fit than Martin, so maybe it’s also a case of easing him back in given his recent health issues.

2 minutes ago, rynny said:

Hector-Ingram could have been used on the bench, also have Whittikar. 

Hector-Ingram would be a gamble given he’s had no senior football, and I think Cocu sees Whittaker more as an inside forward (though I think his long term future is up front).

1 minute ago, duncanjwitham said:

Martin would absolutely be in my starting lineup every week.  But taking a step back, the games Martin struggles in are the games where opposing teams sit deep around him and he gets isolated.  Given we're up against Millwall, managed by Rowett, I can see the logic in the way we've set up.  Waghorn can go and work hard, be physical, compete in the air etc, and we've got 3 very mobile guys in behind him who can all get on the ball and run at them.

Martin could easily do the hold up play to enable the 3 players you mention to join the attack  but Waghorn is still a good energetic player who will cause problems....some already lining themselves up to say told you so because Martin isn't starting but in Cocu I trust......................Just so pleased to have our Rams back after some very worrying times.....COYR

Archived