v Millwall (A) - Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

Ahead of who though? If the game was played when it was meant to be, he’d have been the first name on my team sheet. Now Holmes is fit though, it’s very difficult to leave him out for someone inexperienced. I guess you could play Holmes wide and put Sibley down the middle. It’s tough though, especially when Rowetts thugs will probably target Sibley because of his inexperience and occasional poor temperament.

I love Holmes, but I’d probably drop him for Sibley, especially as he struggles to play a full 90 at the best of times.

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

Ahead of who though? If the game was played when it was meant to be, he’d have been the first name on my team sheet. Now Holmes is fit though, it’s very difficult to leave him out for someone inexperienced. I guess you could play Holmes wide and put Sibley down the middle. It’s tough though, especially when Rowetts thugs will probably target Sibley because of his inexperience and occasional poor temperament.

I get where you're coming from with this but I think he's learning and maturing in that department. I thought he handled himself well in the face of Mctominays attempted bullying against Manure. 

2 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

I get where you're coming from with this but I think he's learning and maturing in that department. I thought he handled himself well in the face of Mctominays attempted bullying against Manure. 

I agree, and I certainly think he’s getting calmer on the pitch. Composure only really comes with game time, so it’s not a criticism of him. I’m just a bit concerned about some of Rowetts tactics getting the better of him.

11 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I agree, and I certainly think he’s getting calmer on the pitch. Composure only really comes with game time, so it’s not a criticism of him. I’m just a bit concerned about some of Rowetts tactics getting the better of him.

Agreed, there is no doubt that it's the kind of poohousery tactic that you'd expect to see from a Millwall/Rowett type team. I would just love to see him pass that test with flying colours again. I thought he actually made Mctominay look a mug in that particular face off and showed a maturity beyond his years in actual fact. It's a tough call for Cocu and I think we'll be equally as strong either way he calls it. 

8 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

I agree, Sibley is a fantastic talent but at this stage in his development I reckon home games will be a happier environment for him to grow in. Needs to bed in, no rush. 

The blue team definitely looked like the stronger XI. From what I could see, the lineup was this:

Roos (no Hamer for some reason)

Wisdom   Davies   Clarke   Malone

Rooney   Shinnie

Whittaker        Sibley       Lawrence

Waghorn (I think he moved out wide later on with JHL coming on for Whittaker)

15 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

The blue team definitely looked like the stronger XI. From what I could see, the lineup was this:

Roos (no Hamer for some reason)

Wisdom   Davies   Clarke   Malone

Rooney   Shinnie

Whittaker        Sibley       Lawrence

Waghorn (I think he moved out wide later on with JHL coming on for Whittaker)

Good to see Knight, Sibley and Whittaker getting on the scoresheet for their respective XIs... Even if it is just a training game, it's good to see the lads back.

I have a feeling that we are more likely to be in the Play Offs if Rooney plays further forward. We have so many alternatives in this squad now. When was the last extremely combative team that we had. What would be our most combative eleven now. I would stick with the team that won  against Blackburn Rovers for the Millwall game. Goals win matches.

I'd go with

Roos/Hamer

Bogle    Wisdom   Clarke   Lowe

Shinnie       Rooney

Waggy         Sibley           Knight

Martin

No place for my favorite (Holmes) as another favorite (Sibley) takes his place. And I'd prefer Waggy over Holmes on the wing as well, it's Rowett's Millwall after all so little bit of physicality won't do any harm.

Harsh on Bird, but he has to go to a barber first. Also, against Millwall, Shinnie is the first name on the teamsheet for me. 

23 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Wasnt it our "experienced" players who kept getting dubbed 3-0 every time we went to the capital earlier in the season?

That's experience we can do without!?

Rowett will set them up to defend and hit on the counter, even more so with match fitness being so low. For me, that rules out Davies and Forsyth at the back due to lack of pace and ability to recover from counter attacks.

Roos
Bogle  Wisdom  Clarke  Lowe
Bird  Rooney
Waghorn  Sibley  Lawrence
Martin

Holmes, Knight and Shinnie to come on. Maybe Forsyth if Lowe tires, and Davies to help us keep a clean sheet late on when 3-0 up.

Difficult to call this line up. There is a number of variables that affect selection that are hard to read into I.e. contract issues, players fitness following lockdown, players general willingness to play post lockdown, aging players getting rustier and younger players potentially developing. It's all a bit tricky to see how that falls out 

In a vacuum I think our best team is:

Roos/Hamer

Bogle Wisdom Clarke Lowe

Rooney   Bird 

Waghorn  Holmes   Lawrence 

Martin 

But I think you can argue for Forsyth over Lowe for extra height, possibly make a similar argument for including Davies (Although I suspect itd probably be incorrect), Sibley and or Knight somewhere in the attacking 3 and not including Martin if his contract situation is too distracting. 

The only thing I'm relatively confident of are those not including Bird in their side are likely wrong. His form and pairing with Rooney was instrumental in turning form around back in January and I think it would be a dire mistake to not start him.

I would pick those that have looked decent in training in the last few weeks with a mind on the type of team Millwall are (Snaky Cloggers).

To me that means Forsyth LB and Shinniesta to be involved.

Having 5 subs to play with is is likely to have a bearing on starting teams picked and tactics. You could get a “keep it tight” starting 11 then have subs as early as 35 mins to transition to something more progressive.

37 minutes ago, Roboram said:

I’ve still got tickets for this. Might pop down. Anyone know the train times??

37 minutes ago, Roboram said:

I’ve still got tickets for this. Might pop down. Anyone know the train times??

I’m sorry. The train is reserved for Mr and Mrs Jenkins of number 22 Acacia Avenue, Camberwell. One carriage each.

Archived