The Lockdown “Bizarre Purchases” thread

Mostyn6

6 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

"The Theory of Numbers" by Hardy and Wright.

A seminal pure mathematics text from my university days.I am swooning over the Sieve of Erotosthenes........?

I'll bet no bogger asks a question on the content at the Sat'day quiz....... 

Number theory is where the proper maths is at ?

I remember I had to write a computer program which implemented the Sieve of Eratosthenes in semester one of this year. Can’t recall much about it other than it was an absolute ball ache to get working ? Though that’s probably my shocking coding skills on show more than anything!

Edited by Millenniumram

19 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I remember I had to write a computer program which implemented the Sieve of Eratosthenes in semester one of this year. Can’t recall much about it other than it was an absolute ball ache to get working ? Though that’s probably my shocking coding skills on show more than anything!

Once lockdown is over, I might have this post tattooed on my eyelids in case of insomnia.

28 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Be a fair bit of recursion and conditional logic needed for that program. Its easy to describe mathematically (and linguistically) but I wouldn't fancy trying to code it - not efficiently anyway.

I only use noddy programming languages like R and Octave these days. 

16 hours ago, Eddie said:

Bizarre purchase but not my fault.

I wanted smoked haddock, I ordered smoked haddock, I paid for smoked haddock - and Tesco delivered basa (Vietnamese catfish).

It might be very nice (it is very cheap normally) - but it's not going to go well as a contrast fish in a fish pie.

There's a thread in itself on substitutions. I ordered 2 watermelons and got 2 pineapples. 

On 22/05/2020 at 14:06, GboroRam said:

There's a thread in itself on substitutions. I ordered 2 watermelons and got 2 pineapples. 

If you'd have been shopping at Aldi, you would probably have received a Junior Doctor Make-It-Yourself Tourniquet and a trumpet.

On 15 May 2020 at 00:41, Inverurie Ram said:

My youngest lad received this as a present.

It won't be long before the rest of the family are ordering twigs from Amazon.

Where did it all go wrong?

I'm not looking forward to letting them go forever, outside in the big bad world, this evening!

image.jpeg

On 21/05/2020 at 22:29, reverendo de duivel said:

Once lockdown is over, I might have this post tattooed on my eyelids in case of insomnia.

i'm distressed that the elegance and beauty of a subject defined purely by the rules of logic are not captivating a wider audience.

For me, it has already given me insights into the world and languages of Ancient Greeks, Assyrians, Babylonians and others.

I am therefore increasingly confident of soon being able to hold a conversation with Boris in a range of extinct middle-eastern languages, thus proving my brilliance and fitness to lead......

?

On 12/05/2020 at 11:59, Mucker1884 said:

3 x of those neck tube/snood things... they'll be my new washable/re-usable face masks, when they arrive (ordered yesterday).

Just bought a couple of those myself.  My lads back at 6th form in a few weeks and will have to wear a mask on the bus.  I'm just gonna prance around like a pro-footballer ?

Yesterday, I took delivery of the following; some Japanese chef knives, some bamboo chopping boards, a foot roller massager, a led floor lamp, a singlet wrestling unitard (bright pink) and a bread maker! 

i need help. 

5 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Yesterday, I took delivery of the following; some Japanese chef knives, some bamboo chopping boards, a foot roller massager, a led floor lamp, a singlet wrestling unitard (bright pink) and a bread maker! 

i need help. 

Is it a bit snug?