Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

On 27/02/2024 at 17:53, Bob The Badger said:

Oppenheimer

We finally got around to watching this and really enjoyed it with the almost 3 hours, flying by.

Great acting although I did feel like Cillian Murphy wasn't straying too far away from Thomas Shelby!

All the acting was great, but for me, RDJ stole the show. Surely an Oscar for him?

There were confusing moments with the time shifting but overall, Paul Goddard/10.

I haven't watched this yet. Is it easy to follow or do I have to learn about quantum physics first? Love Christopher nolan films. 

1 hour ago, Mr. P said:

I haven't watched this yet. Is it easy to follow or do I have to learn about quantum physics first? Love Christopher nolan films. 

A rudimentary knowledge of quantum mechanics is definitely useful, but I didn't have to do any actual atom splitting to enjoy it.

• 3 weeks later...

Barbie (SKY)

After all the months of hype and award nominations I thought I'd finally give this a go.

Not sure what all the fuss is about if I'm honest. A few decent jokes but the satire is spoonfed as opposed to being cleverly done and I was a bit bored, actually.

5/10 for the design. Will Ferrell was good value (and I'm not normally much of a fan of his)

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

Barbie (SKY)

After all the months of hype and award nominations I thought I'd finally give this a go.

Not sure what all the fuss is about if I'm honest. A few decent jokes but the satire is spoonfed as opposed to being cleverly done and I was a bit bored, actually.

5/10 for the design. Will Ferrell was good value (and I'm not normally much of a fan of his)

I think you've been very generous with your score - I'd give it 2/10 (and one of those points is only because I'm quite partial to scenes of Margot Robbie in tight trousers or short skirts) - garbage

Colombiana (2011) on Film4. Zoe Saldana plays a young Colombian woman out to avenge the murder of her parents by a Cartel boss which she witnessed as a child. Totally implausible but entertaining. Paul Emson 6.

Anatomy of a Fall on Amazon Prime for £4.49.

We ended up watching this in two halves after starting it a bit late on Sunday.

At half-time, I was pretty stoked.

It had fabulous acting and a well-written script, and I felt it was bubbling up nicely.

The second half started with a clever court scene with more really excellent acting.

Then nothing happened much.

Rather than building to a crescendo, it just disappeared up its own arse.

I thought I was getting Stimac/10, and ended up with Steve Mac/10

17 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

It had fabulous acting and a well-written script, and I felt it was bubbling up nicely.

The second half started with a clever court scene with more really excellent acting.

Agree with all that. I enjoyed it more than Mrs Wolfie did, though she really doesn't like subtitles.

I Came By - Netflix

I'd only ever seen Hugh Boneville in light, fluffy, funny stuff (Downtown Abbey/Paddington/W1A), so it was odd to see him acting sinister in this thriller about a young grafitti artist who breaks into a retired judge's house, to find something nasty lurking in the basement.

Entertaining and with a not so subtle comment on the untouchable & powerful elite. I found the protagonist really annoying, which took me out of it a bit - to begin with (no spoilers). Boneville was excellent and the best thing about the film, by far.

Not bad 6/10

On 03/04/2024 at 09:00, Bob The Badger said:

I watched this at the weekend - because it now appears to be free on Amazon Prime (sorry for your loss Bob!)

It seemed quite long at 2.5 hours, and I was also a bit underwhelmed by the ending, but my slept-on-it thoughts were much more positive.

It has all the hallmarks of a whodunnit, but seems to deliberately subvert that by making the point that in real life some things are simply unknowable and you have to make your own mind up and move on with what ever life leaves you.

I also liked the dual language device which I guess was intentionally done to make you think about how hard it is to understand each others lives. The fact she (as a native German speaker) had to speak English with her French husband, and then was forced to speak French in court but had to keep switching to English when she couldn't find the words to explain her emotions. All very cleverly done

Mel Sage/10 for me

28 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

The fact she (as a native German speaker) had to speak English with her French husband, and then was forced to speak French in court but had to keep switching to English when she couldn't find the words to explain her emotions. All very cleverly done

Yes, I found that really effective as well. I've only seen Sandra Hueller in a couple of things but she's a fantastic actor.

The Love Punch (Netflix)

Home alone last night and after a stressful day at work, I needed something light. Good choice - it doesn't get much more lightweight and fluffy than this.

Pierce Brosnan's company is taken over and sucked dry of cash (and pension funds), so he and his ex wife (Emma Thompson) seek revenge on the owner of the new parent company in Paris, aided by friends played by Timothy Spall and Celia Imrie. Pretty much every rom-com box is then ticked off.

Entirely predictable and not particularly Rom or Com but still a 6/10, due to it being the film I needed at the time, with some of my favourtie UK (comic) actors - Thompson and Imrie.

Knox Goes Away - wasn't really sure what to expect of this movie as I watched it on a whim and without knowing anything about it. Michael Keaton directs and stars as a hitman whose doctor initially misdiagnoses Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease, a rapidly progressive neurodegenerative disorder, as Alzheimer's. Upon learning that he has only weeks remaining, rather than months or years, he sets about completing a last contract, then 'cleaning house' before the inevitable, but not all goes go according to plan.

It's leisurely paced and perhaps a little short on the 'action' normally associated with films of this ilk, being a little more melancholy and cerebral in its approach, but I really liked it. Keaton, in particular, is very good in the lead role and handles the direction deftly too and delivers a decent twist without telegraphing it.

Don't be put off by the Saban Films link. It's not a Saban film, they just bought the distribution rights.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt20115766/

You can buy "Knox Goes Away" on Apple TV, Amazon Video, Google Play Movies, YouTube, Vudu as download or rent it on Apple TV, Amazon Video, Google Play Movies, YouTube, Vudu, Spectrum On Demand online.

Paul Peschisolido / 10

Alexander (2004) - I don't recall why I didn't watch this at time of release as typically, I like Oliver Stone's movies, but OMFG this film should have been aborted, or at best strangled at birth. A bleached out Colin Farrell sounding for all money like he's just dropped in from Dublin, had me twitching only minutes into the film and inside a quarter of an hour I was done. 

The illegitimate lovechild of Mikkel beck and Abdul Camara / 10

Code: Feckin awful! 

On 08/04/2024 at 09:27, Stive Pesley said:

I watched this at the weekend - because it now appears to be free on Amazon Prime (sorry for your loss Bob!)

It seemed quite long at 2.5 hours, and I was also a bit underwhelmed by the ending, but my slept-on-it thoughts were much more positive.

It has all the hallmarks of a whodunnit, but seems to deliberately subvert that by making the point that in real life some things are simply unknowable and you have to make your own mind up and move on with what ever life leaves you.

I also liked the dual language device which I guess was intentionally done to make you think about how hard it is to understand each others lives. The fact she (as a native German speaker) had to speak English with her French husband, and then was forced to speak French in court but had to keep switching to English when she couldn't find the words to explain her emotions. All very cleverly done

Mel Sage/10 for me

We've just watched this and it is excellent. Some brilliant acting and nicely ambiguous.

Since you went for Mel Sage, I'll go Michael Forsyth / 10.

King Richard, Netflix, the amazing story of Venus and Sabrina Williams beginnings and their father Richard's obsessive and sometimes disturbing plan to turn two of his 5 daughters into tennis legends. It lags at times but does give a pretty honest picture, warts and all, of what he did to achieve his dream for them. Taribo West 7.5

On 02/04/2024 at 12:25, Crewton said:

Colombiana (2011) on Film4. Zoe Saldana plays a young Colombian woman out to avenge the murder of her parents by a Cartel boss which she witnessed as a child. Totally implausible but entertaining. Paul Emson 6.

Gonna watch it now...back soon 👍