Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

24 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

The Quatermass films were good in their day 🤷‍♂️, A couple or 3 years ago I watched "Them" shot in black and white, About Giant Ants on Talking Pictures" TV channel  image.png.0fe4cc09f193dea92adf8ead3837c5d4.png there was a scene where a Giant Ant appeared from behind a rock the Woman screamed as she could see the ropes working the Ants 😁

Watched all these things with my bro growing up - we adored them. What a time for filmmaking, including with the giant creatures, or small people. And of course I love Quatermass, and even more modern versions.The Fly led to us reminiscing about The Incredible Shrinking Man, which I've just googled and see was made in 1957.

Edited by Carl Sagan

15 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Interesting as I've only noted spectacular reviews. Seeing this on Thursday. In the meanwhile:

I really enjoyed it but don’t think it quite deserves the hype it’s getting. The director clearly values how it looks over the smaller details of a scene. It does look and sound amazing, but some of the key scenes just miss the mark for me. 

Still very fun though. Ebiowei / 10.

Poor things. 

Emma Stone is brilliant as the young woman brought back from the dead by a Frankenstein like doctor. He inserts the brain of her unborn infant and so her new life starts as a baby’s would but then she really gets to see how the world works from a woman’s perspective.

Great satire, spectacularly shot. It’s strange, but compelling. You won’t watch anything else quite like it this year. 

47 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Poor things. 

Emma Stone is brilliant as the young woman brought back from the dead by a Frankenstein like doctor. He inserts the brain of her unborn infant and so her new life starts as a baby’s would but then she really gets to see how the world works from a woman’s perspective.

Great satire, spectacularly shot. It’s strange, but compelling. You won’t watch anything else quite like it this year. 

Sounds interesting. Which channel or was it at the cinema?

5 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I paid to watch it on one of the subscription services. Keep an eye out for it. Worth a go. It’s quirky for sure and won’t be to everyone’s liking.

Seems to be (after googling it) on Disney+. 

5 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I paid to watch it on one of the subscription services. Keep an eye out for it. Worth a go. It’s quirky for sure and won’t be to everyone’s liking.

I think most will grasp it's message and its craft is there for all to see. It's like a cross between an early Wes Anderson film (the period before he vanished up his own bum) and early Guillermo del Toro output, think, Pan's Labyrinth.

I really liked it and it's as beautifully filmed as anything I've seen for a while.

Argylle: made by the same team who did Kingsman. If you liked that you will probably like this - doesn't quite have the edge but still a silly waste of two hours. To be fair, I could watch Sam Rockwell read the phone directory and enjoy it, but still.

Nigel Callaghan / 10

Edited by BaaLocks

31 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Hell or High Water.

Modern day Western. A pair of brothers go on a bank robbing spree, persued by the Texas Rangers.

Loved it. Very atmospheric and Jeff Bridges is terrific.

Gary Micklewhite / 10.

I saw this a while ago and concur with your assessment. Really enjoyable.

16 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Hell or High Water.

Modern day Western. A pair of brothers go on a bank robbing spree, persued by the Texas Rangers.

Loved it. Very atmospheric and Jeff Bridges is terrific.

Gary Micklewhite / 10.

15 hours ago, Crewton said:

I saw this a while ago and concur with your assessment. Really enjoyable.

Check out Wind River by the same director. She's a talented lady.

On 03/03/2024 at 09:01, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I really enjoyed it but don’t think it quite deserves the hype it’s getting. The director clearly values how it looks over the smaller details of a scene. It does look and sound amazing, but some of the key scenes just miss the mark for me. 

Still very fun though. Ebiowei / 10.

Changed my mind on second watch. Brilliant film and story.

Craig Bryson / 10.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

On 02/03/2024 at 09:52, BaaLocks said:

Dune 2: was made to sit through the first one and ended up enjoying it much more than I expected. But the second one is just so drawn out. Scene after scene of millions of (CGI generated) soldiers swearing feilty to some leader or other while your ears are bombarded with dramatic music. It just goes round in circles and - guess what - leaves you then realizing the story isn't finished so another three hours to sit through to find out the conclusion (at least). Just feels like this all could have fitted more than easily into, maybe, two two hour films rather than three, three hour ones.

Similar... I've never read the books so went into Dune 1 'blind' and was pleasantly surprise - good story, great cinematics, soundtrack and cast. 

As you say, Dune 2 does feel drawn out and quite tedious at times.  Whilst I still found the cinematics (inc CGI) and soundtrack to be excellent, the first part of the film felt dragged out and the last part of the film rushed.  It would have been better split into 2 films but I guess the middle film would have been really boring - too much religious fervor for my liking and the Dave Bautista char just spent his time stomping around incompetently shouting at people.

Having said all that...

42 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Craig Bryson / 10.

I'll find out next week whether I change my mind as well, taking my lad when he gets back from Uni 😛 

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

Similar... I've never read the books so went into Dune 1 'blind' and was pleasantly surprise - good story, great cinematics, soundtrack and cast. 

As you say, Dune 2 does feel drawn out and quite tedious at times.  Whilst I still found the cinematics (inc CGI) and soundtrack to be excellent, the first part of the film felt dragged out and the last part of the film rushed.  It would have been better split into 2 films but I guess the middle film would have been really boring - too much religious fervor for my liking and the Dave Bautista char just spent his time stomping around incompetently shouting at people.

Having said all that...

I'll find out next week whether I change my mind as well, taking my lad when he gets back from Uni 😛 

I definitely found more enjoyment on the second watch because I knew what was going to happen, and so was better able to observe the changes to the characters and their motivations throughout the film. I just think it's a really layered, complex story that rewards repeat viewing. This obviously owes a lot to the source material.

4 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Craig Bryson / 10.

You did Dune 2 twice? Tell me you had a season ticket for the 2007/8 season without telling me you had a season ticket for the 2007/8 season.

9 hours ago, Eddie said:

I watched "Tommy" while wasted. When Tina Turner started singing "Acid Queen" I think my brain exploded.

The same but The Monkees film "Head" when the Davy Jones dance routine started strobing black and white

Dune 2 was very good. Essential to watch 1 again beforehand and will warrant a second watch Paul Goddard/10

Copa 71 astonishing documentary of an untold unknown football tournament…..until now. A fascinating insight into footballing history and attitudes. Mark Wright/10