Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

Anatomy of a fall (rent on Prime)

Heard really good things about this. It won last year's Palme D'Or at Cannes and really highly rated on imdb.

A woman is accused of murdering her husband, after he falls from a 3rd floor window at their mountain chalet. Characters & acting top notch - especially Sandra Hueller as the lead and Milo Machado Graner, as her blind son. Story maybe not so much, though more of it was in french (with subtitles) than I was expecting, which I personally find quite distracting.

Oh, and half an hour too long (2 1/2 hours).

Not bad.

6.5/10

Flora and Son (Netflix): Cheesy kitchen sink drama about an Irish girl who learns to play the guitar to either win back her husband or to impress her son or to fall in love with her online teacher (honestly, I'm still not quite sure which one it was). Eve Hewson*, the lead, is great and there are some classically good lines peppered with Irish swearing which always raises a smile. It's a bit predictable, more sugary than a bowl of Coco Pops but, despite it's obvious limitations, it's also able to put a smile on your face more than once.

Darren Moore / 10

* - fun fact, her real name is Memphis Eve Sunny Day Iris Hewson. Which might then not surprise you to hear her father is Bono.

On 17/01/2024 at 17:20, Crewton said:

A recommendation from Mrs C from a recent flight "Empire of Light", a 2022 Sam Mendes film starring Olivia Coleman as the manager of a seaside cinema in the 1980s struggling with her mental health. She described it as "sweet and touching" which is odd because she usually describes such films as "soppy", so maybe it isn't too sugary. I'll try to catch it myself somewhere to see if I agree.

Possibly Leon Osman/Morten Bisgaard

it is a decent film, quirky as much as soppy, definitely Bisgaard/10

Murder On The Orient Express.  Have seen all the versions, this one is disappointing, stylish but lacking.  Great actors there, some with minimal roles, others should have had minimal roles instead, but one was rightly given lots of scenes, the fantastic Michelle Pfeiffer who drags this film all by herself up from a 5 rating to a 6.5.

I'm a big cinema goer so have seen several this year already.

Scores out of 10:

Ferrari: 8

Anyone But You: 7

The Boys in the Boat: 8

Poor Things: 10

The End We Start From: 9

The Color Purple: 8

Booked and in the diary:

Pet Shop Boys Dreamworld (Live), All of us Strangers, Argylle, The Taste of Things, Bob Marley: One Love, Wicked little Letters.

1 hour ago, admira said:

I'm a big cinema goer so have seen several this year already.

Scores out of 10:

Ferrari: 8

Anyone But You: 7

The Boys in the Boat: 8

Poor Things: 10

The End We Start From: 9

The Color Purple: 8

Booked and in the diary:

Pet Shop Boys Dreamworld (Live), All of us Strangers, Argylle, The Taste of Things, Bob Marley: One Love, Wicked little Letters.

Only seen a couple from your list; Ferrari which I liked, likewise, The Boys in the Boat. The former bravely pulled no punches in its depiction of Enzo, which is far from flattering, I thought, though Adam Driver was excellent. The Boys in the Boat is such a remarkable story that just the telling would be compelling enough, but I enjoyed the film too. Michael Mann is a talented chap and the writers aren't too shabby either. Fair pedigree!

I've chucked your other recommendations onto my IMDB watchlist as having had a peek, they look a really good selection. Thanks for the heads-up mate 👍

12 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Only seen a couple from your list; Ferrari which I liked, likewise, The Boys in the Boat. The former bravely pulled no punches in its depiction of Enzo, which is far from flattering, I thought, though Adam Driver was excellent. The Boys in the Boat is such a remarkable story that just the telling would be compelling enough, but I enjoyed the film too. Michael Mann is a talented chap and the writers aren't too shabby either. Fair pedigree!

I've chucked your other recommendations onto my IMDB watchlist as having had a peek, they look a really good selection. Thanks for the heads-up mate 👍

You're welcome. I'm very much into the British drama / comedy and true story genres. Not into American shot 'em-ups, horror or Marvel stuff.

9 hours ago, ramit said:

Murder On The Orient Express.  Have seen all the versions, this one is disappointing, stylish but lacking.  Great actors there, some with minimal roles, others should have had minimal roles instead, but one was rightly given lots of scenes, the fantastic Michelle Pfeiffer who drags this film all by herself up from a 5 rating to a 6.5.

I think I liked it more than you did but agree. Pfeiffer was indeed excellent. 
I was more disappointed with Death on the Nile, which I didn’t think was anywhere near as good as the Ustinov version. Also the Venice one was weird - but I do want to watch it again, as I think I nodded off and missed something important!

10 minutes ago, admira said:

You're welcome. I'm very much into the British drama / comedy and true story genres. Not into American shot 'em-ups, horror or Marvel stuff.

Don't really do horror, least not the slasher, hacker type stuff. Leaves me cold. I did watch Se7en again the other night though, which I guess is a horror of sorts and it's still brilliant.

Like you, I don't really love the Marvel stuff, though some of that ilk, I loved, my avatar being the clue. Don't mind an action movie either, though I can't recall offhand the last one I watched that I really liked. 

British drama and comedy still in a league of it's own, though I must say I do like trawling French, Italian and Scandiwegian stuff, likewise Korean. There's a lot of talented filmmakers out there, I'm discovering.

Edited by Comrade 86
typos

3 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Don't really do horror, least not the slasher, hacker type stuff. Leaves me cold. I did watch Se7en again the other night though, which I guess is a horror of sorts and it's still brilliant.

Like you, I don't really love the Marvel stuff, though some of that ilk, I loved, my avatar being the clue. Don't mind an action movie either, though I can't recall offhand the last one I watched that I really liked. 

British drama and comedy still in a league of it's own, though I must say I do like trawling French, Italian and Scandiwegian stuff, likewise Korean. There's a lot of talented filmmakers out there, I'm discovering.

"The Taste of Things" that we are seeing Monday is French-subtitled. The wife is learning the lingo so I thought this might help!

The Killer on Netflix.  Warning, spoilers ahead.  To think that people place good money for a crappy script is beyond me.  It' s understandable that a decent actor would take the job, for exposure, but it's not indicative of a discerning choosy mind, or ambition for that matter.  Cinematically it's not bad, there is a nice realistic fight scene in it, but that's the only thing good about this film.  The main character is poorly developed, he claims to not give a duck, yet has a woman he cares about, a weakness in his profession and this woman has a brother in the know as well, another weakness.  His philosophy of life and the universe is absurd, even for a psycho.  He knows all technical solutions to a problem, has multiple aliases, can get into any space, yet believes in an endless void out there and no consequences for wickedness.

Now, what annoys me most.  When a man in the back seat of a car pulls a gun on a driver, the driver cannot do as the man orders, he must increase speed and stay in traffic, or he is a dead man, under no circumstances will he pull into a secluded lot and park there.  His only hope is keeping some control of the situation, crashing the vehicle if need be, or preferably dealing with the killer to jump out at speed at a corner so as both don't have to die that day.

A killer sits across from you in a fine restaurant pointing a gun under the table.  The waiter sees that man, as do the assistants clearing the table.  One must not leave with this man, if he kills you, there are witnesses he must also dispose of, creating a messy risky scene for the killer.

I could bore you with more, but won't.  4.5, if not for the fight scene, a 3.

8 hours ago, ramit said:

The Killer on Netflix.  Warning, spoilers ahead.  To think that people place good money for a crappy script is beyond me.  It' s understandable that a decent actor would take the job, for exposure, but it's not indicative of a discerning choosy mind, or ambition for that matter.  Cinematically it's not bad, there is a nice realistic fight scene in it, but that's the only thing good about this film.  The main character is poorly developed, he claims to not give a duck, yet has a woman he cares about, a weakness in his profession and this woman has a brother in the know as well, another weakness.  His philosophy of life and the universe is absurd, even for a psycho.  He knows all technical solutions to a problem, has multiple aliases, can get into any space, yet believes in an endless void out there and no consequences for wickedness.

Now, what annoys me most.  When a man in the back seat of a car pulls a gun on a driver, the driver cannot do as the man orders, he must increase speed and stay in traffic, or he is a dead man, under no circumstances will he pull into a secluded lot and park there.  His only hope is keeping some control of the situation, crashing the vehicle if need be, or preferably dealing with the killer to jump out at speed at a corner so as both don't have to die that day.

A killer sits across from you in a fine restaurant pointing a gun under the table.  The waiter sees that man, as do the assistants clearing the table.  One must not leave with this man, if he kills you, there are witnesses he must also dispose of, creating a messy risky scene for the killer.

I could bore you with more, but won't.  4.5, if not for the fight scene, a 3.

On 01/01/2024 at 00:35, Comrade 86 said:

.....that small grumble pales into insignificance compared to my dislike of The Killer which, as @Alph has reminded me, was probably the most bone-jarringly asinine movie I've seen in years. The plot: contract killer bungles job, much trouble ensues. Even with Fassbender in the lead role, it's hardly an original premise, but in this case we are treated to first person introspective of a man so bad at his job I'd probably kill him myself were he on my payroll. 

4/10

You're in good company 😂

The Pizza Triangle, 1970 Italian production, an absurd romantic tragicomedy as only Italy could produce.  Wonderful, melodramatic, hysterical, passionate, confusing and hilarious.  A woman falls for a man and his blowfly, until suddenly there appears a heart shaped pizza and it's oft spitting baker culminating some months later..

I just love Italian weirdness, it is so honest in it's cruelty and passion.  Not for everyone, but if you've got an odd streak in ya, give it a try.

Worth it for Marcello Mastroianni's weird looking head close ups alone.

7.5 on the bizarre Richter

Saltburn

I knew there was some kind of particular intrigue/shock connected to the film but couldn't recall exactly what...

Can't recall what other's felt but I found it pretty decent.

Reminded me a little of 'Cruel Intentions'. All bitchy, rich people looking down on others and making clever put downs.

Dialogue was great, initally I couldn't quite work out where it was headed or exactly what kind of film it was. 

Quite stylish, good acting- Richard E Grant was really amusing - just a unusual and different film.

I'd call it a black comedy with some kind of satire /social commentary.  

Solid 7 out of 10. A bit slow at times and the scenes that were a bit shocking almost took me out of the film rather than aided it. But definitely something different and well worth a watch.

Edited by Chester40

Society of the Snow

Not totally sure what a remake of the 'Alive' film does differently, except not 'white-washing' the cast and so feeling a bit more authentic. 

Can't go wrong with the story, fascinating and well-handled. Otherwise pretty similar to the previous version. 

Good solid,Darryl Powell/7

The Beekeeper

Jason Statham

..and that's all you need to know really. Totally ridiculous storyline (avenging anti-hero) and lots of pretty violent action scenes which I enjoyed for the sheer lack of consideration of bystanders. 

Watched, laughed and enjoyed it,  never to be recalled again probably.  6.5/10. Ebosele

38 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Society of the Snow

Not totally sure what a remake of the 'Alive' film does differently, except not 'white-washing' the cast and so feeling a bit more authentic. 

Can't go wrong with the story, fascinating and well-handled. Otherwise pretty similar to the previous version. 

Good solid,Darryl Powell/7

Although I agree with you, I will only say that it is less "Hollywood", which can't be bad.

On 01/02/2024 at 05:41, Comrade 86 said:

You're in good company 😂

Not me thought The Killer was great, i try and not to over think films too much otherwise you won't enjoy many.

Edited by TimRam

The Great Escaper. Based on the true story from a few years ago about the D-Day veteran who absconded from his care home to travel to the commemorations to pay homage to a fallen comrade. Michael Caine is good as the Veteran and Glenda Jackson gives an outstanding performance as his wife in what was her last film before her death last year. Slow paced, but enjoyable, and quite moving. Branko Strupar/8