Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

Oldboys, on Netflix.

A Nordic comedic road movie with a twist of pathos.  A team of Danish old boys footballers travel to Sweden for a game against ageing Swedish cops.  The game itself gets less than a minute of film, but we do get to see some former policemen get grossly fouled, so that was nice. 

The story revolves around a fifty something introverted forgotten "nobody" left behind at a gas station in Sweden who gets an eventful ride from a young Danish hoodlum on the run.  The two leads are total opposites and therefor teach each other a thing or two along the way to the football match.  A girl joins the ride halfway through, why you may ask, but shouldn't, girls are what it's all about guys. 

8 out of 10, for the Nordic humour and because I have a weakness for road movies. 

11 hours ago, Eddie said:

Blazing Saddles.

Released 50 years ago this month, this film is, in my opinion, one of the best comedy films of all time. A Mel Brooks masterpiece. Every time it shoots, it scores.

Kevin Hector / 10.

Re Blazing Saddles, if anyone wants to watch it, it's in iPlayer for another week or two.

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Re Blazing Saddles, if anyone wants to watch it, it's in iPlayer for another week or two.

Thanks, I'm really overdue a re-watch of it. For me, some of Mel Brooks' films fall a bit flat but this one is a classic.

10 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Thanks, I'm really overdue a re-watch of it. For me, some of Mel Brooks' films fall a bit flat but this one is a classic.

"Candygram for Mongo...."

We tried to watch Maestro, the biopic about Leonard Bernstein and his wife Felicia, on Netflix a couple of nights ago, but it was so slow-paced that we gave up on it half way through. We might return to it when we're feeling a bit more alert, so for the time being it gets a Bragstad/4

Dune 2: was made to sit through the first one and ended up enjoying it much more than I expected. But the second one is just so drawn out. Scene after scene of millions of (CGI generated) soldiers swearing feilty to some leader or other while your ears are bombarded with dramatic music. It just goes round in circles and - guess what - leaves you then realizing the story isn't finished so another three hours to sit through to find out the conclusion (at least). Just feels like this all could have fitted more than easily into, maybe, two two hour films rather than three, three hour ones.

25 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

Bank of Dave...Netflix 1hour 40mins...a True-ish story of a Mans obsession of owning his own bank...in Burnley 😁.

A nice heartwarming tale of community spirit

A lovely little film...8/10 

I watched the TV series with the real David Fishwick (I think. I'm going to look silly now when I find out it wasn't him 😀) rather than the film.

A heart warming story indeed although I did find his incredibly positive and can do attitude a tad annoying at times. He'd struggle with this forum at times. 😄

4 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Dune 2: was made to sit through the first one and ended up enjoying it much more than I expected. But the second one is just so drawn out. Scene after scene of millions of (CGI generated) soldiers swearing feilty to some leader or other while your ears are bombarded with dramatic music. It just goes round in circles and - guess what - leaves you then realizing the story isn't finished so another three hours to sit through to find out the conclusion (at least). Just feels like this all could have fitted more than easily into, maybe, two two hour films rather than three, three hour ones.

2028 for the concluding part of the trilogy, apparently! I watched the first one thinking it was a standalone film, not the first instalment of something that required a 7 year investment 😂 

Asteroid City: I love the quirkiness of Wes Anderson films and find the first fifteen minutes utterly uplifting. But then it just seems to be more of the same and I just find myself losing concentration and just wanting them to get on will telling the story. Abdul Camara / 10

Fremont: Film about an Afghan translator now living in California. Filmed in black and white and billed as a comedy. I watched it on a plane and was still tempted to walk out. OK, it wasn't quite that bad, it's just bang average. Paul Trolloppe / 10

Dream Scenario: My absolute pet hate of a film concept, a good idea that they just don't know how to close out. Nicolas Cage is a non-descript lecturer who everybody starts having dreams about. He's actually not that bad, the whole thing is supposed to be an allegory for cancel culture but it just ends up being a story they just don't know how to end so it just fades away, leaving you realise you've wasted two hours of your life. Callum Ball / 10

14 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Interesting as I've only noted spectacular reviews. Seeing this on Thursday. In the meanwhile:

The Fly (1958 version): was on the other night and me and Mrs Sagan really enjoyed it. We both were puzzled as we'd seen it as children, and thought it was a black and white film, yet this was screening in colour. But then it dawned we must have seen it on b&w tellies. Old school science horror, in glorious technicolour, with the magnificent ending that stays with you. Terry Hennessy/10.

9 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Fremont: Film about an Afghan translator now living in California. Filmed in black and white and billed as a comedy. I watched it on a plane and was still tempted to walk out. OK, it wasn't quite that bad, it's just bang average. Paul Trolloppe / 10

Spit Take GIF

NGL, I'm now mildly intrigued 😂

10 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Asteroid City: I love the quirkiness of Wes Anderson films and find the first fifteen minutes utterly uplifting. But then it just seems to be more of the same and I just find myself losing concentration and just wanting them to get on will telling the story. Abdul Camara / 10

Dream Scenario: My absolute pet hate of a film concept, a good idea that they just don't know how to close out. Nicolas Cage is a non-descript lecturer who everybody starts having dreams about. He's actually not that bad, the whole thing is supposed to be an allegory for cancel culture but it just ends up being a story they just don't know how to end so it just fades away, leaving you realise you've wasted two hours of your life. Callum Ball / 10

Asteroid City - Wes Anderson films are normally watchable and what a great cast for this one - but I'm afraid I only lasted 30 minutes or so. After the intriguing beginning, it just slowed down to such an extent that I couldn't get a feel for where the story (if there was one) was going.....perhaps it got better and I'm being unfair but not for me....

François Grenet / 10

11 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Interesting as I've only noted spectacular reviews. Seeing this on Thursday. In the meanwhile:

The Fly (1958 version): was on the other night and me and Mrs Sagan really enjoyed it. We both were puzzled as we'd seen it as children, and thought it was a black and white film, yet this was screening in colour. But then it dawned we must have seen it on b&w tellies. Old school science horror, in glorious technicolour, with the magnificent ending that stays with you. Terry Hennessy/10.

The Quatermass films were good in their day 🤷‍♂️, A couple or 3 years ago I watched "Them" shot in black and white, About Giant Ants on Talking Pictures" TV channel  image.png.0fe4cc09f193dea92adf8ead3837c5d4.png there was a scene where a Giant Ant appeared from behind a rock the Woman screamed as she could see the ropes working the Ants 😁

22 hours ago, Ram-Alf said:

Bank of Dave...Netflix 1hour 40mins...a True-ish story of a Mans obsession of owning his own bank...in Burnley 😁.

A nice heartwarming tale of community spirit

A lovely little film...8/10 

Yes, I enjoyed that too….