Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

On 10/04/2021 at 13:38, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I don't care how many snobs poo on the books. They're amazing.

To be fair, I think a lot of people appreciate the world building and story. Books are usually popular for a reason, and this series creates a believable world with at least some depth. The biggest complainers are the LGBTQ community, who think JK is a transphobe. Now, I won’t get into the debate here, other than say if they look at what she said without bias, they would know it is ok to still enjoy the wizard if world. Sadly, too many jump onto any view slightly outside their own and make it a hill to die on.

7 minutes ago, r4derby said:

To be fair, I think a lot of people appreciate the world building and story. Books are usually popular for a reason, and this series creates a believable world with at least some depth. The biggest complainers are the LGBTQ community, who think JK is a transphobe. Now, I won’t get into the debate here, other than say if they look at what she said without bias, they would know it is ok to still enjoy the wizard if world. Sadly, too many jump onto any view slightly outside their own and make it a hill to die on.

To be fair, I think they got a lot of stick before the whole JK Rowling controversy. A lot of it was from LOTR fans who saw the world as shallow.

12 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

To be fair, I think they got a lot of stick before the whole JK Rowling controversy. A lot of it was from LOTR fans who saw the world as shallow.

Well, the books to me were aimed at children of a certain age and they grew up with them. That takes some writing, progressing at the same pace as the reader.

I have always found the books to be delightful, I am less enamoured of the films, which are patchy and necessarily lack some of the rich detail of the novels.

1 minute ago, angieram said:

Well, the books to me were aimed at children of a certain age and they grew up with them. That takes some writing, progressing at the same pace as the reader.

I have always found the books to be delightful, I am less enamoured of the films, which are patchy and necessarily lack some of the rich detail of the novels.

Completely agree.

4 hours ago, angieram said:

Yep, couldn’t have put it better myself.

Blithe Spirit (SKY Movies)

Adaptation of a Noel Coward play, about a writer (with writer's block) who starts seeing his dead ex-wife after a seance.

(Dan Stevens; Isla Fisher; Judi Dench)

Reviews on IMDB seem to depend on whether people have seen the previous 1940's film version (hate it) or not (like it).

I hadn't so, a solid 6/10 for me.

Under the Skin (2013) stars Scarlet Johannssen. Good atmosphere and Johannssen is excellent. Seeing her against a backdrop of a dark, damp and dreary uk complete with english accent is something different. 8.5/10

Edited by TimRam

On 07/03/2021 at 19:06, Mr. P said:

Contagion on Netflix. It's 10 years old now but it's basically a Covid 19 film down to mentioning social distancing & it starting in the far east. No surprise it been a popular film on Netflix this past year. 

Is it good because it never gets lost from my suggestions tab on Netflix. 

Anti-Life, also known as 'Breach'.

2020 Bruce Willis film. Tagline: "On the cusp of fatherhood, a junior mechanic aboard an interstellar ark to New Earth must outwit a malevolent cosmic terror intent on using the spaceship as a weapon."

Utter crap. 3/10. I was rooting for the alien slugs.

Palm Springs - New & free on Prime Video

Two people get trapped in a time loop at a wedding & doomed to play out the same day over and over.

It sounds like it should just be a rip-off of Groundhog Day & there are obvious similarities but it's different enough and funny enough to get away with it.

7/10

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

Palm Springs - New & free on Prime Video

Two people get trapped in a time loop at a wedding & doomed to play out the same day over and over.

It sounds like it should just be a rip-off of Groundhog Day & there are obvious similarities but it's different enough and funny enough to get away with it.

7/10

Saw this a few months ago and it’s brilliant. One of my favourites from last year. 

A couple that may be of interest...

The Courier - cold war thriller detailing the efforts of Grenville Wynne and Oleg Penkovsky to avert the Cuban missile crisis and a nuclear holocaust in general. Benedict Cumberbatch and Merab Ninidze absolutely first rate as they always seem to be.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8368512/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

The War Below - the story of a group of miners shipped out to the Somme. Not without clichés and hard to summarise without spoilers, but a timely reminder that not every war hero wore a uniform, nonetheless. Worth a watch.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10381014/

3 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Blade Runner 

Absolute nonsense of a film. Awful plot, if there even is one! Cringeworthy overacting, about as entertaining as toothache! 

Rooney/10

Are you sure you watched blade runner or Derby vs Birmingham ?