Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

I care a lot

Amazon Prime

Rosamund Pike as the anti-hero woman who becomes the legal guardian of vulnerable people to steal their possessions  but comes up against Peter Dinklage’s gangster when she chooses the wrong victim. 

Entertaining satire. Really enjoyed it. 

8/10

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Watched Little Fockers the other day.

It was the first time I’ve ever got 20 minutes into a film and realised I’ve seen it before. Does that officially make me old?

It's actually an advantage. "Hey, not seen this for years". It's like watching a new film!

On 24/04/2021 at 21:32, Mostyn6 said:

Blade Runner 

Absolute nonsense of a film. Awful plot, if there even is one! Cringeworthy overacting, about as entertaining as toothache! 

Rooney/10

On 24/04/2021 at 21:39, MrPlinkett said:

In fairness I think blade runner is so overrated. 

one of those its fashionable to say is good 

@Carl Sagan listen to this pair of philistines ?

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

@Carl Sagan listen to this pair of philistines ?

29 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Maybe i was 25 years too late, maybe even 35, to see what I might’ve seen of watched 1984-1995! It’s just dated, boring at aimless as a first watch in 2021. But may have been groundbreaking once. 

Its great if you want something to fall to sleep too.

On 24/04/2021 at 21:39, MrPlinkett said:

In fairness I think blade runner is so overrated. 

one of those its fashionable to say is good 

Not often I am bored by a film but I was watching 2049. The 1982 version was slower paced than a lot of scifi but still good so I was expecting similar for 2049. Unfortunately it was too slow with not a lot to keep up my interest at all.

Edited by TimRam

1 hour ago, TimRam said:

Not often I am bored by a film but I was watching 2049. The 1982 version was slower paced than a lot of scifi but still good so I was expecting similar for 2049. Unfortunately it was too slow with not a lot to keep up my interest at all.

It kinda got a lukewarm reception but I liked it. I thought it oozed style myself, but I can at least see why some would knock it. The 1982 version is a sci-fi classic but again, you can't please everyone. Not too many sci-fi movies get nominated for 2 Oscars and secure another 12 award wins & 17 nominations.

To my way of thinking, Ridley Scott has been operating at a level that few can match for nigh-on 4 decades now; Alien, Blade Runner, Gladiator, Black Hawk Down, Robin Hood, American Gangster, A Good Year, Body of Lies, Kingdom of Heaven. His body of work is immense and he rarely misses his target, though clearly some on here would disagree. For me, he makes a lot of 'big' films and I think by and large, he does it very well. 

1 hour ago, TimRam said:

The question great art often asks is "what does it mean to be Human?" and of course that's front and centre in the original movie, one of the key lines being Rachel's "Did you ever take that test yourself?"

I liked how 2049 brought the ideas up-to-date, adding the holographic AI into the equation. How much is really in there? Is it indeed as much as she thinks? I loved the depth of the characterization with everyone, no one was left out. And the motivation for wanting to create a slave army to allow Humanity to colonize the stars - but what does it mean to be Human? But most of all, it's the pacing in both films that make them special. They take their time. Both are slow burners. It's probably a large reason why both were flops at the cinema, but show off the art of cinema, and what it can be, at its best.

It's interesting to me that you liked the original but not the sequel. I don't think 2049 can quite match the astonishing heights of the original, but it's still one of my favourites of recent years. 

14 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

The question great art often asks is "what does it mean to be Human?" and of course that's front and centre in the original movie, one of the key lines being Rachel's "Did you ever take that test yourself?"

I liked how 2049 brought the ideas up-to-date, adding the holographic AI into the equation. How much is really in there? Is it indeed as much as she thinks? I loved the depth of the characterization with everyone, no one was left out. And the motivation for wanting to create a slave army to allow Humanity to colonize the stars - but what does it mean to be Human? But most of all, it's the pacing in both films that make them special. They take their time. Both are slow burners. It's probably a large reason why both were flops at the cinema, but show off the art of cinema, and what it can be, at its best.

It's interesting to me that you liked the original but not the sequel. I don't think 2049 can quite match the astonishing heights of the original, but it's still one of my favourites of recent years. 

Think I should watch it again. Thanks for the comments.

Stowaway on Netflix 2/10

Quite possibly the worst film I have endured, Netflix are very naughty removing ratings and replacing it with this match percentage and trending thing. Hides just how bad things are. 

30 minutes ago, David said:

Stowaway on Netflix 2/10

Quite possibly the worst film I have endured, Netflix are very naughty removing ratings and replacing it with this match percentage and trending thing. Hides just how bad things are. 

Imdb is normally fairly reliable on ratings. I always check films out on there before watching them because I don't trust Amazon Prime's rating system.

The films I tend to watch are normally comedy, Sci fi or horror. All genres which tend to polarise reviews. My rule of thumb is if a film I'm thinking of seeing scores over 6 on imdb, then it should be worth a watch. Seems to work.

1 minute ago, Wolfie said:

Imdb is normally fairly reliable on ratings. I always check films out on there before watching them because I don't trust Amazon Prime's rating system.

The films I tend to watch are normally comedy, Sci fi or horror. All genres which tend to polarise reviews. My rule of thumb is if a film I'm thinking of seeing scores over 6 on imdb, then it should be worth a watch. Seems to work.

5.6 on imdb, you would have come close to suffering.

47 minutes ago, David said:

Stowaway on Netflix 2/10

Might watch it anyway, it has Anna Kendrick in