Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

16 hours ago, Rev said:

Did seeing it at the cinema add much to the enjoyment? 

From the reviews I've read, it's mostly talking in various rooms, doesn't sound like the big screen adds much.

picture quality, and audio were quite noticeable in the cinema I visited. I would happily have watched in my living room though. There are, as you can imagine in a film about Bomb(s), some big boom/bang noises kicking around in the film.

I do like a big screen, but I'd rather have been front and centre, and not surrounded by strangers with weak bladders.

On 24/07/2023 at 19:55, Rev said:

Did seeing it at the cinema add much to the enjoyment? 

From the reviews I've read, it's mostly talking in various rooms, doesn't sound like the big screen adds much.

Not really. There are a few wide location shots, a couple of explosions and a couple of scenes of Florence Pugh if she's your cup of tea, but none of the big set pieces Nolan is known for.

Think it would be just as intense in your own living room if you can avoid getting distracted/interrupted for 3 hours.

Has Nolan said anything about watching this in cinemas? I know he threw a hissy over Tenet.

1 hour ago, Rample said:

Not really. There are a few wide location shots, a couple of explosions and a couple of scenes of Florence Pugh if she's your cup of tea, but none of the big set pieces Nolan is known for.

Think it would be just as intense in your own living room if you can avoid getting distracted/interrupted for 3 hours.

Has Nolan said anything about watching this in cinemas? I know he threw a hissy over Tenet.

He shot it with the Imax cameras, but that doesn't make it an Imax film.

Saw Dunkirk at the Imax, and it was worth it, think I'll wait to watch this one at home.

If you’re going to the cinema, and you’re letting your partner choose the film, you could do a lot worse than Barbie. I’d have chosen Oppenheimer or MI, but I quite enjoyed the comedy of Barb.

Couldnt really tell where it was going even in the final act, but that’s ok as the story wasn’t the main part. That would be bad for most films!

Oppenheimer should get an Oscar for best picture, as well as best actor for Cillian Murphy, however, as the American audiences can't watch anything without explosions, fights or car chases, nor any film over 90 minutes long, then probably not, as this film was superb.

The dialogue, intrigue and politics was just amazing which I was enthralled with from the start to the end, without once wanting to get up to go to the lavatory.

53 minutes ago, ImARam2 said:

Oppenheimer should get an Oscar for best picture, as well as best actor for Cillian Murphy, however, as the American audiences can't watch anything without explosions, fights or car chases, nor any film over 90 minutes long, then probably not, as this film was superb.

The dialogue, intrigue and politics was just amazing which I was enthralled with from the start to the end, without once wanting to get up to go to the lavatory.

There was an explosion.

1 hour ago, ImARam2 said:

Watched it today...

Really strange, because it felt slow as you watched, with no rush to tell the story. Yet somehow at the end it didnt feel like 3 hours.

Didn't expect it be quite SO focussed on Oppenheimer rather than any of the bigger picture of War/bomb detonation. But it worked. 

Gripping and thoughtful.

Not a film I'd be watching again any time soon but quality just dripped out of it. Eg the 2 or 3 minute scene where he met Oldman/Truman did so much with so little.

8.5/10

4 hours ago, ImARam2 said:

I can't think of an Oscar winning movie that's was full of car chases and fights. Most best movie awards tend to go to more arty/cerebral productions. I

Asteroid City

Typical Wes Anderson film. Weird, funny, colourful, great set designs, a little self indulgent.

If you like his films you'll like it, if you don't you won't. 

Entertaining but a little style over substance. 

Kinkladze out of 10

On 21/06/2023 at 15:40, Carl Sagan said:

Wes Anderson's Asteroid City, including a cast of dozens of famous actors. And Jarvis Cocker! One of the strangest films I've ever seen, with a film within a play within something else. Bryan Cranston the on screen narrator. Probably a work of genius, but sometimes baffling. If you don't go to sleep, you can't wake up? Might just sweep all the Oscars? 

Georgi Kinkladze/10

24 minutes ago, sage said:

Asteroid City

Typical Wes Anderson film. Weird, funny, colourful, great set designs, a little self indulgent.

If you like his films you'll like it, if you don't you won't. 

Entertaining but a little style over substance. 

Kinkladze out of 10

What are the chances? Great minds...