Derby in advanced talks with American billionaire Michael Dell over major financial injection

Bubbles

1 hour ago, RandomAccessMemory said:

Sorry, I completely missed your post, I must have been typing when you posted. I saw Steve Nicholson's tweet and thought it was interesting.

I did like the "wide of the mark" part of the article, just a bit! ?

It does make you wonder where on earth the £30m number came from though doesn't it? If it is actually £15m, how could someone get it quite so wrong?

It's all about the clicks - the modern journo would much rather make a big splash and apologise afterwards than ensure their story is accurate in the first place.....

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

It's all about the clicks - the modern journo would much rather make a big splash and apologise afterwards than ensure their story is accurate in the first place.....

Double the clicks isn't it. You can spout a load of poo in one news article and then generate more ad revenue in your new story saying it was inaccurate or something had changed.

3 hours ago, RandomAccessMemory said:

Sorry, I completely missed your post, I must have been typing when you posted. I saw Steve Nicholson's tweet and thought it was interesting.

I did like the "wide of the mark" part of the article, just a bit! ?

It does make you wonder where on earth the £30m number came from though doesn't it? If it is actually £15m, how could someone get it quite so wrong?

£15m makes a lot more sense, enough to see us through next season with the lower income we'll get.

Just re-read the DET story and it now says "believed to be for the same amount" in reference to the old £15m mortgage.

• 2 weeks later...

Been thinking about this and welcome anyones thoughts.

We sold the ground in June 2018 for £81m and various people have said that this has been paid for in full...I'm sceptical at this point.

With us needing a new cash injection does that mean we have burnt through £81m in 2 years?

If so, how worrying is that???

When you add on the £25m amortisation charge that was disclosed in the EFL document surely we are staring a P&S failure in the face??

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

We sold the ground in June 2018 for £81m and various people have said that this has been paid for in full...I'm sceptical at this point.

With us needing a new cash injection does that mean we have burnt through £81m in 2 years?

When you add on the £25m amortisation charge that was disclosed in the EFL document surely we are staring a P&S failure in the face??

I don't think the lampard season was cheap.

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

£38.7m accounting losses in 18/19 so it may not be too unreasonable to say we lost close to £80m over two and a bit years

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

£38.7m accounting losses in 18/19 so it may not be too unreasonable to say we lost close to £80m over two and a bit years

But we are talking cash here.

If we have gone through £81m cash when our transfer spend has been pretty much zero then youd think our accounting losses have to be circa £30m higher?

In terms of P&S, we were within limits by £1.3m for the 3 years to 2019. Fortunately, it looks like we’ve been saved from 2020 failure thanks to the coronavirus and switching to a 4 year period. 
Given the rise in amortisation will outweigh the reduction in wages and profit on manager/players, we’ll be looking at a c£38m P&S loss in 19/20. Amortisation should return to ‘normal’ the following year, and with further wage reductions I estimate an £18m P&S loss. 

The average over 19/20 and 20/21 must be better than a £15m loss to stay within limits. 

As a fan who's only concern is the the team's performances on the pitch. I find some fans obsession with the clubs finances rather odd.

In fact I find some fans speculating on the clubs spending and the possibility of them failing to comply with P&S rules even more disconcerting. It seems as if they want the club to fail and want us to be punished by the EFL. So they can then have a good moan about the owner and the club.

Yes Mel Morris when he first took ownership of the club may have been a bit starry eyed and even naive on how a football club finances should be run. But resent events have shown that the owner and administrative management are now nothing but professional in how they run the club.

So hopefully I can soon be back sat in the stadium enjoy the football team's performances on the pitch, I'll leave the finances to those who  have proven they know what they are doing.

5 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

As a fan who's only concern is the the team's performances on the pitch. I find some fans obsession with the clubs finances rather odd.

In fact I find some fans speculating on the clubs spending and the possibility of them failing to comply with P&S rules even more disconcerting. It seems as if they want the club to fail and want us to be punished by the EFL. So they can then have a good moan about the owner and the club.

Yes Mel Morris when he first took ownership of the club may have been a bit starry eyed and even naive on how a football club finances should be run. But resent events have shown that the owner and administrative management are now nothing but professional in how they run the club.

So hopefully I can soon be back sat in the stadium enjoy the football team's performances on the pitch, I'll leave the finances to those who  have proven they know what they are doing.

Isn't worrying about the finances and P&S also the same thing as worrying on the playing side? Any financial complications (not saying that we do have them) could lead to a points deduction and then affect the playing side?

2 minutes ago, rynny said:

Isn't worrying about the finances and P&S also the same thing as worrying on the playing side? Any financial complications (not saying that we do have them) could lead to a points deduction and then affect the playing side?

I think its good to know a little about the running of the club but ultimately its the matchday experience that draws people to the game. I trust our current owner as he is a fan and wants what is best for the club. To that end my personal focus is 100% on the team but I do understand some fans want to delve into finances more deeply. Basically, each to his own I suppose.

12 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

People are worrying about the finances, because they don't want to start any seasons on negative 12 points, which could easily relegate us to league 1. If you are happy to constantly sell our best players in desperation or to risk points deductions then good for you, but i dont share the sentiment.

2 minutes ago, GenBr said:

People are worrying about the finances, because they don't want to start any seasons on negative 12 points, which could easily relegate us to league 1. If you are happy to constantly sell our best players in desperation or to risk points deductions then good for you, but i dont share the sentiment.

What are you going to do about it ?

21 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

I genuinely don't think fans want to use it as a stick to beat Mel Morris with, I'd be more alarmed if fans weren't taking an active interest in the running and financing of their club quite frankly as this is what underpins everything that happens on the pitch. 

6 minutes ago, GenBr said:

.... and you think our current owner wants to start any season with minus 12 points too?? From recent events I think he’s doing everything he possibly can to make sure we don’t. Yes, this is a forum and people are certainly entitled to voice their opinions & concerns but to be honest I’m pretty sure Mr Morris is well aware of the situation ?

24 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

What are you going to do about it ?

Lol what? I'm sure a life of blissful ignorance suits you fine, but just because i cant currently do something about it doesnt mean i just stick my fingers in my ears and do my best to ignore it. With an attitude like that you'd never get anything done.

18 minutes ago, Gisby said:

.... and you think our current owner wants to start any season with minus 12 points too?? From recent events I think he’s doing everything he possibly can to make sure we don’t. Yes, this is a forum and people are certainly entitled to voice their opinions & concerns but to be honest I’m pretty sure Mr Morris is well aware of the situation ?

Dont be ridiculous. Not wanting to and actually not doing it are two completely different things. We had to sell the stadium to stay within FFP last time and we cant pull that trick again. I am baffled as to how you reached the conclusion that you think i believe Mel Morris is maliciously trying to get the club a points deduction. 

Archived