Matches suspended

atherstoneram

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

I understand all that but surely if official/medical/scientific advise is that it's safe to return to work then the employer has met the requirements of the regulations. Obviously if the authorities insist on certain working conditions and the employer doesn't comply then the employee would be right to refuse to work (the employer may even be at risk of prosecution).

I accept it's not always black and white but, once again,  would you agree, with the general principle that if it is declared safe to go back to work (and, OK the employer has initiated any required changes to working conditions) it could well be breach of contract to still refuse to go back to work? 

What more could the employer do? 

If you purely consider a Risk Assessment of this scenario and look at the hierarchy of risk then number 1 is eliminate the risk - basically dont do it. So to answer your question what more could the employer do then this is the answer.

The debate would be on whether the risk can be managed to a reasonable level without having to eliminate it and what reasonable precautions would practicably have to be undertaken to still proceed. At the end of the day it will come down to a risk vs necessity argument, is it really worth the risk of infecting footballers however low that risk is for the sake of playing a game of football. 

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

If the employer can't guarantee the safety and well-being of an employee under the HASAWA 1974 and the employee then stays away from work then the employer is in breach of contract and the employee would be entitled to full pay until the employer could either guarantee the safety of that individual or found then alternate work which didn't breach the legal rights of that employee

I'm not trying to be obstructive the answer isn't a simple yes no one as many employment tribunals will testify to.

But couldn’t that be said for just about any job right now?

Social distancing aside, Germs on door handles etc

For me I expect football to return with players tested regularly until a vaccine is in place. 

31 minutes ago, rammieib said:

But couldn’t that be said for just about any job right now?

Social distancing aside, Germs on door handles etc

For me I expect football to return with players tested regularly until a vaccine is in place. 

Believe what you will from the media but the current pandemic is far more intrusive than germs on door handles. 

Whatever your expectations are and what reality dictates may be two totally diametric outcomes. 

1 hour ago, TramRam said:

Its because they are at an advantage of their geographical location. 4 of their 5 remaining home games are against northern clubs. Those clubs won't be staying overnight anywhere due to the risk of infection at hotels so they probably see this as a big advantage rather than playing somewhere else. 

52 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

Its because they are at an advantage of their geographical location. 4 of their 5 remaining home games are against northern clubs. Those clubs won't be staying overnight anywhere due to the risk of infection at hotels so they probably see this as a big advantage rather than playing somewhere else. 

I think Brighton are saying more pertinently that these home games are against large northern clubs such as the 2 Manchester teams and Liverpool so playing them at a neutral venue will allegedly dissipate any home advantage for them by being in a stadium "full" of their home supporters.

How much of an advantage this would lever is impossible to quantify. 

5 hours ago, TramRam said:

What a surprise... Clubs in danger of getting relegated are opposed to a chance of getting relegated!

If Brighton and West Ham are the only 2 opposed to it, then they can feel free to start next season in the Championship. If more come out against it, then they may have to rethink.

The only reason EPL clubs want the season to conclude is for TV money and payments via the tv deal based on final placings. Crowds dont mean a thing to them in terms of revenue, hence the behind closed doors talk. 

League 1 and 2 clubs will rely on people through the turnstiles for weekly cash flow. Playing behind closed doors would be their most expensive option due to paying players / cost of travel / cost of hosting games.  

Where that leaves the championship clubs then who knows?  Behind closed doors but TV subscription possibly the best bet, but I dont know if that goes against current sky deal,  and how legally that would sit.

Id imagine sky would already have paid mid season payments to clubs and a fundamental change might see them ask for the money back.

2 hours ago, TramRam said:

Then what is the point of playing out the season?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52517532

If the season starts with a 23 club premier league I think I might be done with football.  You can't have three up and non down .  Sure Villa would be in love with that, an extra 130 million plus avoiding a huge fine on relegation. Perhaps a 200 million swing .  Bournemouth will be another in the same boat .  If everyone plays at a neutral venue, how can there be a disadvantage. Why play at neutral venues anyway ?

22 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

If the season starts with a 23 club premier league I think I might be done with football.  You can't have three up and non down .  Sure Villa would be in love with that, an extra 130 million plus avoiding a huge fine on relegation. Perhaps a 200 million swing .  Bournemouth will be another in the same boat .  If everyone plays at a neutral venue, how can there be a disadvantage. Why play at neutral venues anyway ?

I'm of a similar opinion - the suggestions that  exisiting rules of the competition (particularly around promotion/relegation) are manilpulated to find a way for the season to finish and keep Liverpool and Leeds happy are ridiculous. Either finish the season properly (behind closed doors if necessary - though I'm not a fan of this idea and we're running out of time to get things sorted before the end of June when contracts come into play) or else void it and start with a fresh season when this virus is under control.

Football is in danger of making itself look even more ridiculous than it currently does with its VAR experiment and constant tinkering with rules and fixtures to please the broadcasters. They need to think about the fans before they make any stupid 'money is all' decisions and ruin the game we all love.....   

13 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I'm trying to come up with a fair answer, But I can't, Is it fair to void all football and start afresh in late summer ie no Champions, No relegation, Is it fair to stop the season now and Give the Premier league to Liverpool and relegate the bottom 3, Is it fair to play behind closed doors and finish the season and to hell with the consequences, Is it fair to play upto 30th June where out of contract players could leave and go to a club and make a difference to where the their new clubs finish, Finally, Is it fair after playing 3 of the 9 each clubs have left, Some players test positive for the virus and all the effort put in by so many that the season is......you finish the sentence as i'm flumaxed?

I've got the answer! We melt down some used PPE equipment and make replicas of the PL & Championship trophies (they'll be fine with a bit of silver paint) and drop them off at Anfield and Elland Raod repsectively (probably best lobbing them from a moving car to go along with social distancing). They can convince themselves that they've really won the titles and they have something to stick in their trophy cabinets while the rest of accept that the season was void and they actually won two tenths of sod all.....

35 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Wasn't the original proposal that no teams get relegated from the Premier League this season and are joined by the current Top 2 in the Championship i.e. Leeds and West Brom but the following season additional teams are relegated to address this imbalance.

24 minutes ago, TramRam said:

I'm trying to come up with a fair answer, But I can't, Is it fair to void all football and start afresh in late summer ie no Champions, No relegation, Is it fair to stop the season now and Give the Premier league to Liverpool and relegate the bottom 3, Is it fair to play behind closed doors and finish the season and to hell with the consequences, Is it fair to play upto 30th June where out of contract players could leave and go to a club and make a difference to where the their new clubs finish, Finally, Is it fair after playing 3 of the 9 each clubs have left, Some players test positive for the virus and all the effort put in by so many that the season is......you finish the sentence as i'm flumaxed?

Totally agree. (It's "flummoxed" by the way.) "Flummox” is a very useful word, meaning not only “to confuse” but also “to confound,” i.e., to frustrate so much that the only course is to give up and abandon the task which is what I've done. My brain hurts

30 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Wasn't the original proposal that no teams get relegated from the Premier League this season and are joined by the current Top 2 in the Championship i.e. Leeds and West Brom but the following season additional teams are relegated to address this imbalance.

This was discussed, But the EFL queried this as 24 teams become 22 teams, But could happen if league 1 and 2 recipricate, Barrow would fill the void of Bury, But leave league 2 with 22 teams.

This could happen, 5 teams to be relegated at the end of 20-21 season from the Premier League if no promotion from League 1 and 2 this season, As League 1 and 2 could have their seasons cancelled...does any of this make sense ?

39 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

I've got the answer! We melt down some used PPE equipment and make replicas of the PL & Championship trophies (they'll be fine with a bit of silver paint) and drop them off at Anfield and Elland Raod repsectively (probably best lobbing them from a moving car to go along with social distancing). They can convince themselves that they've really won the titles and they have something to stick in their trophy cabinets while the rest of accept that the season was void and they actually won two tenths of sod all.....

Ridiculous, stupid, and downright dangerous!

...Unless of course, the person lobbing said replicas from said moving car is a passenger, and not the actual driver?  I'd recommend a 7seater MPV and maybe lob from the tailgate?  That should maintain the 2m rule within the car, as near as damn it!  (I'm assuming that the two in the car are likely to not live together in the same household, but I guess even that could be arranged, and would also mean a smaller, more economical car could be used!)

Other than that, a very well thought out plan, sir.  Have a like.   ?

Archived